Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which one should I get?

Options
Hello! I am brand new to kamado cooking, only have used a weber. It literally flew off my deck and dented so I am in the market for a new setup and finally am going to get what I have always wanted! I wanted to ask in here even though I expect a BGE bias, I mean it is the main forum but still wanted to ask. 

Option #1 - Large BGE - store demo (was used to cook on multiple times) - Comes with new bottom base, plate setter, nest, wooden side tables, nest handler, and a SS chimney top cap. It does NOT come with the standard daisy wheel and ceramic snuffer. Lifetime warranty: $800

Option #2/2a: Kamado Joe Classic new or Big from the Costco roadshows. $780 or $1199 I believe.

Option #3: Akorn new with plate setter, cover, char-griller wireless thermometer. $320

For a new kamado cooker what do you guys recommend? Should I go cheap the first time? If going all out would you take a used BGE over the new Joe? This egg was not just used once, but the bottom base is being replaced with a brand new part. So it will be old top, new bottom hopefully no color difference lol. 

Thanks for the approval and I look forward to talking with everyone!

Comments

• nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    Definitely no on Akorn.  My buddy has one.  You can tell it's made a lot cheaper.  It's only porcelain lined on inside.  A cheap thin metal on outside.  I have had two chargriller's (smoking pro and duo). They don't last that long.  I would get a vision from Sam's if you are wanting to go cheap.  It seems heavy like the egg.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Option one as fast as they'll take your $$$...

Welcome!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Forget the Acorn if you want something for weight.  You'll be happy with the BGE or Joe Classic.  That's a good price for the BGE.  You don't necessarily need the ceramic top if you get the daisy wheel.  The daisy wheel will snuff out the fire but might not be as fast as the ceramic top.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ineggscape
    ineggscape Posts: 28
    Options
    LOL yeah he told me it is like $500 off the price of it new. It isn't ready yet but that is obviously the one I am leaning towards. I just figured I'd ask here because the internet seems full of Joe love lately which I understand because of the price. But I have this special situation so I guess my question is looking at my options would anyone still go Joe?
  • nth78
    Options
    Don't know much about kamodo Joe but they look pretty nice.  I would still go with the egg unless money is a major concern, then I would go with a Vision

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/kamago-grill/prod11390118.ip?navAction=
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    Steer clear of the Akorn, there's a reason it's 1/2 the price.  I would think the BGE is a better deal with all of the accessories it will come with, and under warranty to boot.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • ineggscape
    Options
    Vision being only $200 less is not an option I am considering. If it was early fall and priced at $400 I would consider it for sure. 
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    hapster said:
    Option one as fast as they'll take your $$$...

Welcome!
    What @hapster said....
    GWN
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    Just to give you a little perspective on option #1 you're getting more in that package than you would get if you bought a demo egg from an eggfest, and it's about $100 less than an eggfest demo large.  Typically a demo egg from an eggfest is discounted and you get the Egg and nest only, maybe a few other extras like rubs or something not too expensive depending on the fest and like I said it would be about $100 more than that price also depending on the fest.  An eggfest egg however is only cooked in one time if you care about that thing.  

I'd probably do option #1 myself if you're in the market for a large which is comparable in grid size to a weber kettle.  If you care about it being cooked in before you get it option #2 seems like a decent deal and you can always return things to Costco for a full refund even years down the road if you have a problem.  Option #1 seems like a really good deal to me though and you're getting a new base so it's half new anyway.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    +1 what @Hap said.  No to the Joe as Costco has no warranty.  You'll may get your money back but then will be right where you are now.  Money in hand and no cooker. 

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Lifetime warranty makes this a no brainer. 
  • ineggscape
    Options
    The Costco Joe isn't warrantied? That is very important to me. Which is why craigslist, unless it was like a great deal say $300 is not an option for me. The fact it is used is not a huge concern since it has been used by the owner of the authorized dealer for the most part, and has the warranty. My only concern would be it having two shades of green from the bottom being new and the top old, but I won't know that until it is ready. He did say he would clean it all up and "dry burn" it for me. 

He also said for an extra $50 or so I could get the daisy wheel and ceramic top cap. Would you do that or just stick with the SS chimney top? 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    You'll get mixed response, but I like the smokeware better than the daisy and no swapping to shut down. There's another thread going now on the very topic. 
  • aukerns08
    Options
    +1 what @Hap said.  No to the Joe as Costco has no warranty.  You'll may get your money back but then will be right where you are now.  Money in hand and no cooker. 
    I'm pretty sure this is incorrect information regarding the Kamado Joe, if we were talking BGE at Costco then it would be correct.  I think that Kamado Joe actively participates in Costco Roadshows, unlike BGE, and honor the warranty from Road Show purchases.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • WeberWho
    Options
    The Costco Joe isn't warrantied? That is very important to me. Which is why craigslist, unless it was like a great deal say $300 is not an option for me. The fact it is used is not a huge concern since it has been used by the owner of the authorized dealer for the most part, and has the warranty. My only concern would be it having two shades of green from the bottom being new and the top old, but I won't know that until it is ready. He did say he would clean it all up and "dry burn" it for me. 

He also said for an extra $50 or so I could get the daisy wheel and ceramic top cap. Would you do that or just stick with the SS chimney top? 
    It shouldn't be two different shades of green unless he has a real old egg that he's selling.      
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ineggscape
    Options
    Thanks for all the fast responses! I wasn't expecting that. My other main concern is wind. My deck gets windy (no fence). Any chance of the egg tipping over or with the weight in the nest can it withstand it?
  • ineggscape
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Thanks for all the fast responses! I wasn't expecting that. My other main concern is wind. My deck gets windy (no fence). Any chance of the egg tipping over or with the weight in the nest can it withstand it?
    Wind won't be an issue.  Just dogs
    My dog is a little <20 pound cockapoo! Don't think he can phase it but that is good to know!
  • nth78
    Options
    Unless you are talking tornadoes or hurricanes you are fine.
  • aukerns08
    Options
    A large Egg weighs 162 lbs.  With the nest brakes engaged I don't think you want to be anywhere near the wind storm that would move that thing.  Hurricane/tornado type winds most likely.  Your weber Kettle probably weighed 10 pounds or so with charcoal in it.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I am with everyone else on Option #1.  At my dealer new for a large with, nest, side tables, grate gripper, ash tool, starter stick and a 20 l bag of BGE lump is $1100+tax.  Add the plate setter, handler and Smokewear is at least $220 to $250 more.  That's a total of around $1300 to $1400.  $800 is a steal and you get a life time warranty?  The Joe's are nice but you are getting more with Op #1.  For get about the Acorn for the same reasons already said.  Good luck and hopefully happy Egging.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Wind won't be an issue.  Just dogs
    My dog is a little <20 pound cockapoo! Don't think he can phase it but that is good to know!
    We had another forum members dog tip her egg as it's leash wrapped around it and dragged it off the deck.

Minnesota
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • aukerns08
    Options
    Just FYI if you do go with the Kamado Joe from Costco it will have the full Joe Lifetime Warranty, per an employee of Kamado Joe.  They have a forum as well that employees get on, and there's a Q&A post specifically about Costco Roadshow and warranty came up and the answer was full warranty.  How good that warranty is I have no idea, I don't have any experience with Kamado Joe.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • ineggscape
    Options
    I'm going with the Egg, it's what I have always wanted anyways. I am young to so that lifetime warranty should come in handy. If this truly is a lifetime grill (provided I don't drop it) then it seems the right way to go. Plus I really like the dealer he seems very passionate about Eggs and I will be able to reach out to him as I learn. 

He also handles warranty claims in the store. He said if he has the parts in stock he just gives his customers the part and then reorders for his stock. Not sure if that is just standard procedure but sure made me feel like he cared. 

The Joe has some great options included, I really like the thought of divide and conquer and all SS parts but from what I am reading I'd be crazy to pass on the BGE deal.

Thank you everyone I will report back when I pick it up!
  • ineggscape
    Options
    Hmm my little dog does have a leash in the backyard. I might need to take some steps to ensure that doesn't happen!
  • aukerns08
    Options

He also handles warranty claims in the store. He said if he has the parts in stock he just gives his customers the part and then reorders for his stock. Not sure if that is just standard procedure but sure made me feel like he cared. 
    This is the best way to do it.  Others have bought from smaller dealers that don't stock parts and they end up having to wait until the dealer makes their order or pay shipping themselves.  Having a dealer stocking a lot of eggs and parts is awesome.  
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Welcome and EGG ON!!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...