Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Planked Salmon/Other Fish

Options
I am trying to find proper technique/cook time, etc for cedar planked salmon, but also curious if I can substitute other fish easily when grilling the salmon?  My wife is not a salmon fan, so though it may be a stupid question, can I easily throw on a different type of fish for her and follow roughly the same cooking approach (if I find a good one)?
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    soak the cedar for about 1hr I put a little evoo and use ragin river rub or tsunami spin by dizzy pig set egg direct at 325-350 dome temp I just start to look at the salmon about 15-20 minutes after put on watch for white fat on top to start showing that is when I pull im sure other fish would be good as well good luck its fantastic
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    I have done the blackened salmon from SAMs on cedar planks and directly on the grill.  Actually preferred the non plank myself.  Only took a few minutes each side to cook.  Have read to not use the planks more than a couple times before disposing.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Looks perfect!
    McKinney, TX
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    How 'bout Mahi Mahi?    That is my 100% favorite fish.   
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Planking fish is very simple. Yes, you can plank other fish. We like salmon and sea bass. 

Soak your planks in water for at least 30 minutes (preferably overnight). Apply EVOO on the skin of the salmon so that it will be easy to remove it after it's cooked. I cook my fish direct at 400F. Cook time is approx 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. HOWEVER, check it often. Seafood does not follow the "if you're lookin', you ain't cookin'" guidelines bc it is so easy to over cook.

I use the tried and true, yet highly technical, "Fork Twist Method" to determine doneness over a thermometer. It's simple, stick a fork in the thickest spot and twist. If the fish flakes apart all the way through, it's done! 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    @Big_Green_Craig , do you start with skin down?  Do you flip?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    edited May 2015
    Options
    500 said:
    @Big_Green_Craig , do you start with skin down?  Do you flip?
    Skin down. No need to flip. The plank will act as a barrier between the fire and the fish. 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Thanks for the tips Craig
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009