Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza disaster.

Options
mjk412
mjk412 Posts: 113
In a previous post I said I made pizza on the egg. What I meant was I had pizza off the egg from a friend.  It's hard to think with kids running around and just life. Anyway.....

the pizza I made tonight was a disaster.

Got the egg up to 600 and let it stabilize there for a while.  

Got my homemade dough, through down the flower, and tried to make a pizza. One side was too thin and  the other side was too thick. I tired making it as even as possible. I used a rolling pin.  

Put some cornmeal on my cheap cheafmate pizza peel from target. Went out to the egg and tossed a bunch of cornmeal on the chefmate pizza stone (came in a kit). I already had the pizza stone in there to let it get hot. 

Tossed the pizza on. Had a lot of trouble getting the pizza off the peel. 

Opened the egg to check pizza and my gasket came off the one side.

pizza was done and tasted a lot like cornmeal and flour. No flavor of charcoal whatsoever.   

I didnt smell well any charcoal or bbq flavor. Just a cornmeal smell. And another funky smell during the cook.  Here is how I set it up. 

Rolay oak lump
raised plate setter
fire bricks to raise the chefmate stone off the plate setter (maybe that was the funny smell during the cook)
cooked at 600. 

Comments

• Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    @mjk412+1 for parchment paper. I pull the parchment from underneath the pizza after 3-4 minutes. I also sprinkle a little extra flour on the dough. I haven't used a rolling pin. Get the dough in a ball, flour both of your hands and just press it out from the center until you have the right size and thickness. 

My first pizza was a disaster but now one of my favorite cooks, and my wife's favorite thing off the egg. Just go to publix or whole foods and get a dough ball or two and try it again soon. Then when you feel comfortable, make your own dough. 
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • mjk412
    Options
    Would using fired bricks or the gasket coming off cause a weird smell during the cook?  Unless it was just the cornmeal burning. 
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Probably  the cornmeal burning.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • newegger169
    newegger169 Posts: 146
    Options
    Has the egg done 3-4 lower temp cooks? Could be why gasket came off
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2015
    Options
    mjk412 said:
    Got the egg up to 600 and let it stabilize there for a while.  

500-550° is enough for most doughs, unless you made a high hydration dough. 600° wasn't bad though. 

Got my homemade dough, through down the flower, and tried to make a pizza. One side was too thin and  the other side was too thick. I tired making it as even as possible. I used a rolling pin.

I have never used a rolling pin for a pizza. RRP uses one (along with a micrometer), but that's a different story.  =) Here are a couple of links on how to shape your dough ball (critical... round dough balls = round pizzas) and then how to form the pie when ready. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he-V1J86REA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjYqw1CLZsA

Always take the dough ball out of the fridge about two hours before attempting to shape the pizza. That way, it will relax and won't spring back on you when you're stretching it.

Put some cornmeal on my cheap cheafmate pizza peel from target. Went out to the egg and tossed a bunch of cornmeal on the chefmate pizza stone (came in a kit). I already had the pizza stone in there to let it get hot. 

Tossed the pizza on. Had a lot of trouble getting the pizza off the peel. 

Cornmeal doesn't go on the stone, just on the peel. Semolina is better, but cornmeal or even flour also work. I hate parchment paper, though some seem to like it. Once you get the dough stretched out, put it on the (lightly) cornmealed peel. Add a topping and then jiggle the peel so the pie slides a bit. Do this after every ingredient is added. It should slide onto the stone easily when it's time. 

Opened the egg to check pizza and my gasket came off the one side.

No surprise there. Get a Rutland gasket and use Permatex UltraCopper as an adhesive. You'll be set for years. 

pizza was done and tasted a lot like cornmeal and flour. No flavor of charcoal whatsoever.  

I didnt smell well any charcoal or bbq flavor. Just a cornmeal smell. And another funky smell during the cook.  Here is how I set it up. 

That's because you dumped all that cornmeal on the stone. As for no charcoal taste, that's a GOOD thing. 

Most of us had plenty of growing pains when we started making pizza. Like anything else, it just takes practice. I stopped using the egg for pizza at least two years ago. Easier and just as good (IMO) in my oven. The last thing I want my pizza to taste like is smoke!

Hang in there.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Parchment paper works well but I really like pizza screens. Roll the dough out and put it on the screen and build the pizza and put the whole thing on the pizza stone. The screen raises the dough slightly off the stone so it doesn't burn as fast giving the toppings more time to finish. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0029SXJAE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1431570538&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=pizza+mesh&dpPl=1&dpID=518lPIrKrVL&ref=plSrch
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I like the screens, but use parchment. To confirm, setter legs up, grid on the ends of the setter feet, fire brick on the grid and stone on the fire brick, right? Make sure there is at least 1" all around the stone to allow air to flow. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    g37 said:
    No corn meal necessary.  Use parchment paper.   
    +1 And you can roll out more than one pizza at a time. Just remember don't make up the pizza till you ready to throw it on. I had 4 rolled out the other night. Little kosher salt on the bottom of the dough makes it even better.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    You can always cook it in an oiled skillet for deep dish. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • mjk412
    Options
    Has the egg done 3-4 lower temp cooks? Could be why gasket came off
    Yeah it has. Maybe I got some cornmeal on the gasket. 
  • Aussie
    Aussie Posts: 75
    Options
    I had the same smell issue recently, and put it down to 650 being about where a clean burn starts,blue smoke coming away from whats left of the gasket.
     I had to wait about half an hour till the smell disappeared, also dropped the temp to 600 and could then start to cook.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    +1 for the videos @Carolina Q posted. They helped me tons. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Here's my pizza disaster:  eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163492/help-pizza-disaster

The answer, other than practice, was parchment paper.

NOLA
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    Can't help you much on the smell or gasket issue, but I also use parchement paper.  I usually cut it about the same size as my peel and then build the pizza on that.  Makes it easier to handle.  I then put a sprinkle of cornmeal on the pizza stone and slide the pizza on.  Once the pizza crust starts to setup firm I lift the pizza up a wee bit and pull the paper out.  Now pizza is on cornmeal and stone alone.  Cook until done.  I usually use store bought pizza balls, spread them out by hand, and use temperature range stated on packaging.  Timing is more of a visual or "feel" thing for me, depends on how thick I make the crust.  Try again, you'll get it right, and best of luck.
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Also, for more flavour in the dough, leave it in the fridge covered to 2 or 3 days.   I do first day the full ball, the other day or two separated into each ball.  Take the dough out the day of the cook a few hours before.  When 60F to 65F it's ready to rock and roll.

For the science behind it, I recommend the book 'The Pizza Bible' by Tony Gemignani 

I also use parchment paper, but the screen idea mentioned by 'skiddymarker' above sounds interesting. 
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use semolina rather than corn meal or parchment paper.  The semolina doesn't burn like corn meal. 
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Man, my first pizzas were the bomb!  Then reality set in and I burned the second time(sugar in the dough at high temps, idiot) then my third set I had a hole in one and it went overboard when I tried to get it off the stone. Burned the crap out of my hand trying to save a molten cheese mound over a 600+ fire. THEN, I used fresh mozzarella and didn't realize how much moisture that stuff puts off!

my point is we all have disasters occasionally (me more than others it seems) hang in there and try again 
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    My alternative to parchment paper is the Super Peel: www.superpeel.com (it is also on Amazon).  Getting the pizza onto the Egg drove me nuts until I bought this, now it is one of my favorite grill toys.  Also, your flour choice and dough recipe have a real impact on how workable your dough is, and the extent to which it will stretch without snapping back.  I did better once I switched to Italian 00 flour (I use Antimo Caputo, which I'm lucky to find locally), and there is a good recipe on the Forno Bravo website though lately I've used the recipe from the Flour Water Salt Yeast cook book, which got me the best results to date.    Stick with it -- takes a while to get good at pizza, but totally worth it.
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @mjk412, first welcome and pizza can be difficult.  My first time out it took me tell the 4 pizza to get a really good one.  

First, I have found that 450 to 500 is a better temp to cook pizza.  Make sure there is an air gap under the pizza stone.  I didn't on my first two and I burned the bottoms of them.

Second, let you stone get good an hot, at least be on for 30 minutes at 450 to 500.  

Third, like others have said parchment paper.  Roll out your dough on flour, place it on parchment paper and add your toppings.  You can cut off the excess if you like, it makes it a little easier to work with then.

Forth, at 450 to 500 it should only take about 8 minutes or so to cook the pizza.  Put it on with the parchment paper, let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes, turn the pizza a 1/4 to a 1/2 turn.  You can take the parchment paper out at this time if you like.  If the bottom looks close to being done I would check it after a couple minutes to be sure it hasn't burn.  It will take a few to get down your timing and timer helps a lot.

On pizza dough I have been told that you can get dough at a good price from Papa Murphy's.  I have cooked there pizzas on the Egg, but haven't made my own with there dough.  On my first pizza cook I found that 00 pizza flour is the way to go if you want to make your own dough.  Just follow the recipe on the bag on how to make it.

I hope this helps out.  These are some things I learned and it helped me make some really great pizzas.  Here is a sampling of my first pizza cook.  Now I want to make some pizzas after typing this.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    @mjk412 - I have cooked many a pizza on the egg, on a stone I have had for years, that I used to use on the gasser (before I had the BGE)....the key for me to getting the pizza off the Peel and onto the Stone...was plenty of corn meal sprinkled on the peel BEFORE you assemble the pizza on the peel....then one or two good shakes and that uncooked pizza should slide right off!
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    @EagleIII I'll have to try your way.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Corn meal works. Semolina works as well and does not add a corn meal taste to the pizza. You may prefer it.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you look closely, you can see the semolina on my peel, ready for the dough. Just a pinch of the stuff Is all you need. I have been using it for several years and have never had a pizza stick. Nothing on the stone.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I have 2 peels. I use the wooden one to build the pizza (using semolina  on it) and put it on the grill. The dough slides right off the peel.  Once cooked, I use a metal peel to remove the pizza - works very nicely and frees up the peel to make the next pizza.

As far as dough goes, my wife makes it based on an old fleischmann's yeast cookbook.  Very simple recipe.  We used OO flour once and it was probably better, but we don't buy that flour very often.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA