Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL vs Large - what downside to XL besides price? 2015 discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I have two XLs and usually only cook for 2 people.  I only light the area needed for what I'm cooking so I don't really go through that much charcoal.  When my wife was traveling for a couple of weeks, I was doing individual meals just by lighting less area.  I use a MAP torch to light, so I can be ready for grilling in less than 15 minutes no matter what temp I need to get the grill to.  As for smoking low and slow, for both of mine, I just light about three inches forward of center and I get an even burn throughout a 24 hour plus cook.  I put in wood chunks in a spiral pattern throughout the charcoal and get continuous smoke.  The XL let's me do whatever I want for 1 person or 40.  I like that versatility.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I too had a hard time deciding large  or XL.  I first chose the XL over the Large, because it was going to be my only grill and I was replacing an old gasser and I wanted the most space I could get for a large cook. Price was an issue but need out weighed the price for me.  Now the extras you want to get for it will cost more so take that into account also.  It does seem to have a hot spot at the back when doing L&S's but you can arrange around that.

Now if is just the two of you, no kids and and you don't entertain much, but may change when you get the egg, I would get the Large.  If you have a few kids or big family the XL would be for me.

I have not had the problems that @stlcharcoal stated with my XL.  My XL is not that hard to control on L&S's, just catch the temp on the way up.  I only go through a lot of charcoal when I am going over 400 for a long period of time.  Most the time I can fill it up and cook on that lump for 5 or 6 regular cooks and still have a little left.  

Here are are a couple photos of my XL loaded up.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    I've already done pizzas at 650-700 on a Friday night. Closed it down until it got to 250 a couple of hours later and then a 20 hr brisket cook on 1 load of lump and it wasn't even up to the platesetter when I started.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Go for the XL. I love mine. I did add a small a year later, it is a great combo
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I have two lg's. Works for me. Can do two different types of cooks at once. I don't find a problem with the grid size. Here's 4 racks of BB's, and 2 spatchcock chickens on the AR and extender.
    GWN
  • Gonnaneedabiggeregg
    Options
    Go as big as you can.
    South Jersey / XL Egg
  • ar15203
    ar15203 Posts: 86
    Options
    I have had my xl for about 2 months now and I love it. Large enough for a party and you can build a fire off to one side for reverse sear. 
    XLBGE, Egging in NH
  • kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
    My wife bought me one for a birthday gift 3 years ago size was left to me, went with a large thinking money saved, big mistake should have 
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I love my XL, you'll like yours too!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• chuckwoo
    chuckwoo Posts: 20
    Options
    Well as a few people know I got the XL delivered yesterday.   Today I went a little nuts and picked up the adjustable rig woo2 combo and 17.5" pizza stone.  Will return. Y place setter.  Figured I would like the ability to create vertical space and get grate up to felt using woo2.  GATABITES did suggest I still need another stone for cooking pizza.  One to deflect heat and one doe the pizza up in the dome high up on the adjustable rig.   So maybe I will keep placesetter after all.   
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    As has been stated many times now, you can't really go wrong either way. I personally chose the XL based on the fact that when I cook and entertain its normally for a fair number of people. I have had no problems with the XL up to this point.
    However, I did pick up a medium as well for times when its just the two of us at home. It does a great job as well.
    Threw in the mini last year just because I lost my mind... But guess what... that little guy rocks as well.

I would be surprised if  you were disappointed in any of the units, but if cost and size are not primary deciding factors, I would probably go big.
    Good luck and enjoy!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR