Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket update

bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On NB's request, here's the update:
The rains subsided temporarily and I covered the polder in a plastic ziplock bag and placed the probe in the meat at 10:30 this AM. At that time the dome temp had diminished somewhat to about 210, and the internal temp read 165. I opened the bottom vent another centimeter or two and bumped the temp back up to 250. At 12:15 the Polder alarm went off and the brisket reached the target temp of 190. (It's filled my house with that wonderful aroma!) Anyway, I put the brisket in the egg at 11:15 last night, so my 9 pounder took a total of 13 hours=780 minutes or roughly 87 minutes per pound. I wrapped the brisket in several layers of foil and then placed it in a cooler with towels...dinner is tonight at 6PM for any of you in the Hershey, PA area. Email me for directions.
I bought this chunk o' chest at Sam's Club. Perhaps Cat's butcher orders his from Sam's too!

Comments

• bdavidson,[p]Although I live in Los Angles, my parents live near Lancaster, PA (not too far from Hershey). Next time I visit them I'll be visiting you. Don't worry I'll give you 13 hours notice so you can make a fresh brisket for me.[p]Bill

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    bdavidson,
    Hope the dinner, and the tasting, went well. I expect it did!
    Thanks for the report. I am wondering now if my 5 pounder will take the average 10-12 hours....as my past experiences. Will set alarm for 3 am, and stick it on the egg then. Plus check the temp on the picnic. I love this allnight Q'n.[p]Cheers yall
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Grill with Bill,
    We live in Lancaster County, just about 10 miles south of Hershey. I just say Hershey because nobody has any idea where "Mt Joy Township" is. Send me an email! I'll need a day tacked onto the 13 hours for the marinade....

• Nature Boy,
    Ah... All went well. Company arrived around 6:00. I pulled the brisket out of the cooler just as the first car rolled into the driveway and it was still steaming hot. Made up some of GFW's sauce and had some brisket sandwiches that just melted in your mouth.
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM... No leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
    Makes me want to start the process over again tomorrow!