Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pressure is on...Need advice!

Scribs
Scribs Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks, We are hosting "supper club" at our house this week and I am cooking prime rib. There is going to be 14-16 people so I bought a 14 pound rib roast with the bones removed. This thing is HUGE. It is much larger than any thing I have ever cooked. I wanted to use the reverse sear method. My problem is needs to be ready around 7:30ish. How long and at what temp is the first part of the cook going to take? I was thinking indirect around 275 degrees until around 125 internal, then nuke it a couple of minutes to finish it off. Do I need to cut in half or cook it whole? [p]As always thanks for the help.[p]Casey

Comments

• Scribs,
    i never do the reverse sear on mine so i won't comment on times....i have done the entire rib roast though (did one in atlanta for eggtoberfest). ..definitely cut it in half and put it on with the thick ends facing each other. .it will fit fine in the large egg that way. . .also, you will now have 4 end pieces, and i'm sure with a group that size you will have at least 4 folks who want them. .. other benefit is, if you have a lot of people who want medium/medium well, and others who want medium rare/rare, you can set them up that way and be able to please everyone. ..[p]

• Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]And I'll vouch for the madmax rib roast. That thing was to die for!![p]Luckily we setup shop right next to max so I could "help" him all day. Help him run out of food, that is...[p]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Good advise Max.
    Larry

• Scribs,[p]are you dead set on the reverse sear? I never seared, I set up indirect and let it get up into 500 before I put the meat on. I use an eggwash crust on the outside, that will get hard and hold all the juices in. I put the meat on at that high temp to form the crust and then start to bring the temp down, until it's 325. Check out the link below, should help you with your cooking times. I pull the meat off at 135.
    [ul][li]http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/ClassicPrimeRib.htm[/ul]
  • Dos Huevos,
    thanks hoss. ..but i always do sear, then roast at 325. ...hopefully one of the reverse sear folks like fishlessman will weigh in on that technique... .

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    locolongball,
    Egg Wash? Just eggs and milk? Does that really work?

• Bigfoot
    Scribs,[p]I have never used the reverse sear, but I usually sear it first often in a super hot Cast Iron Skillet (you would have to cut that monster in half or you could use the egg to sear it then pull it and let the egg cool down to 275) for 2 min each side, then put it bone side down on the egg - I found that cooking it at around 325 makes it VERY tender. I think you will find it takes about 20 min per pound, but if you cut it in half it will take slightly less than half that amount of time (2 - 7 pound roasts cook almost twice as fast as 1 - 14)[p]To be safe maybe I should come over and help you eat it?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    ive done it both ways, and like you like the sear first. the exterior crust gets a self baste this way and gets more flavor IMHO. i would cut it into even more pieces for more end pieces and for a bone in piece roast at about 300 to 325, bone out can be roasted at a slightly higher temp.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Scribs,
    in case you are interested, here is a link to how i do them . .sear, then roast. .. . always turns out great and the times (15 minutes per pound at 325 after the sear for medium rare) are always very consistent .. .you won't always have that extra fat layer shown in this pictoral, but the rest of the procedure remains the same, whether or not you have bone-in or not. .. HTH

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm[/ul]
  • Bigfoot
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]15 min per pound? That is GREAT! I guess the time going from 500 to 325 really kicks the roast temp up. Does the higher temp for longer time reduce the overall tenderness in your experience?
  • Bigfoot,
    not really, i don't let the egg sit at 500 degrees very long so it gets back down to 325 fairly quickly (say 15- 20 minutes after putting the roast on and tightening up the vents. ...the key to 15 minutes per pound is maintaining roasting temps in the 325 - 350 dome temp range....i wouldn't sear for longer times as all you be doing is making the outer portion of the roast more well done while getting the center to where you want it. ...

• Bigfoot
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    THANKS! I will try that way next time. You have never steered me wrong yet!

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Scribs,[p]I do Alton Brown's Dry Aged Rib Roast recipe and cook in the 200-225 range. I like the uniformity a slow cook yields. But, it does not sound like you have time to dry age the roast or cook it at that slow. I like to add some rosemary sprigs for smoke too. I've never done the sear step but plan on trying it on my next ribroast.[p]They end up like this:
    Outside.
    roesmarysmokedribroast-1.jpg[p]Inside: Should have zoomed in a bit more...
    roesmarysmokedribroast.jpg

• Bigfoot,[p]I used Rosemary, Garlic, Black Pepper, Sea Salt and and 2 eggs. it formed an awesome crust on the outside that I cracked off after the cook. it was awesome.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Scribs,
    not able to help w/r/t your actual question, I just want to give you style points for knowing the difference between "advice" and "advise".[p]what a fresh of breath air!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Scribs
    Scribs Posts: 27
    Thanks everyone. You have talked me out of the reverse sear. I don't need to experiment with that many critics. I will post to let you know how it turned out.[p]Casey
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    You guys have inspired me. I ave been wanting to make a rib roast but have been worried about ruining it, but reading this forum tells me I can do it low and slow, like I've contemplated, or at 325-350 like my Mom used cook it for Christmas.

I think I'll have to get 2 of them and compare the results.