Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Egg needs a thorough cleaning - years of grime. How to?

Options
2»

Comments

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Pics or it didn't happen! (It's a rule around here.) The first thing that came to my mind when I seen your pictures was that tables gonna catch on fire! I should of said something. 
    NW IOWA
  • Drummerboy
    Drummerboy Posts: 36
    Options
    The table is going to get replaced - doing research and I have a friend who is going to assist me who is a woodworker.

I'll not be using cedar this time - probably tile or something similar.
    Largo, FL

1 LG BGE
    1 Med BGE
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Options
    I currently have my large in a wood table but in the last year I have seen and heard so many pictures and stories that when we move in a month, I will begin construction of a table/outdoor kitchen with no wood involved. I plan to use metal studs for framing and stone or tile.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Drummerboy
    Options
    Pics to support my testimony...

Got it open and did a quick scrub with some foil - pleased as it is much better than before.
    Largo, FL

1 LG BGE
    1 Med BGE
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Hey brother ... good job with the burn, I think thou, another burn is in order. This time let her go for at least 5 hours @ 700 degrees. You already burned the gasket up ... it's sure as heck not gonna hurt anything. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I just did the same thing this weekend.  Clean burn, took all the ceramics out, scrubbed inside with foil ball, cleaned and sanded baking steel, new Rutland gasket, cleaned the smokeware caps. 
    Options
    I think I'm going to wait on another clean burn until I have a better table, or perhaps when this one is ready to retire. Gasket was gone years ago and this was just getting prepped for putting a new one on.

I have one, but SHMBO has moved it...
    Largo, FL

1 LG BGE
    1 Med BGE
  • Aussie
    Aussie Posts: 75
    Options
    When I do mine, I remove the fire ring and fire box, clean all the ash out and replace firebox and ring, making sure the opening of the fire box and egg line up.
    I grab large chucks of lump and put them on the grate first and then fill with lump to the top of the fire box.
     I remove the thermometer and position the egg away from all combustible items .
    And light it with fully open bottom and nothing on the lid.

Clean burn in progress

and the finished result, no foil necessary
    Had to open the lid with a butter knife, working it around evenly from wherever you can get  it in.
    If your egg is covered by warranty, then you have nothing much to worry about if something cracks , your covered
    If i was going to do a clean burn on your egg, at the minimum I would lift it on bricks to raise it up by three or four inches, and due to the shape of the egg this would increase the gap between the egg and the table. Or better still remove it and stick it on bricks to keep it off the ground , somewhere it cant catch anything alight.
    Cheers

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    RRP said:
    I don't want to get in a p*ssin contest tonight, but I can't tell you how many times I have buried  the needles on all 3 of my 1,000 degree Tel  Tru thermometers in my eggs doing high temp burn outs before I remove them. Suit yourself if 500 or 600 makes you think your BGE is reaching into the bowels of HELL, but it really ISN'T!  Your BGE was made using FAR FAR higher temperatures than any 500 or 600 degree burn out! Good night...
    ron I wasn't trying to reach into the bowls of hell I was trying to clean my egg. Letting it sit at 500 through a half load of lump does that. I have 3 cracked bases in the last 5 years that tell me the egg doesn't handle it that awful well. Anytime you have to explain yourself before you explain yourself please keep it to yourself.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Fine...if I had the bad luck of losing 3 bases in 5 years like you said then I too would be leery! OTOH in 15 years and who knows how many high temperature burn outs I have never had one cracked base! I guess I'm ahead in this game, but your 3 may be a record.
     OK? Peace, brother.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Sorry but it's really annoying to me when someone says I don't want to do whatever but here it goes anyway. Just say it. Also have you ever just let an egg sit at 500 for 3-4 hours? It is burning clean as can be at that point. It won't burn it back white but I don't care I just want my egg burning clean and high heat cooks crack ceramics period I don't care what anyone says. Just recently I was selling my large and I wanted to get it nice and clean so I brought it up over 750 and the BGE pizza stone I was also trying to clean cracked. I can't tell you how many fire rings and fire boxes I have been through. If you just want your egg to burn clean and burn the crud off 500 works fine and it won't fry your gasket if you still have the factory one which I know you don't.  I have actually been standing at my egg and heard the loud pop then another one in the middle of a clean burn and once it cooled my fire ring was broken in half and the base was cracked.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Fine - you got the last word in. I'm out of this thread.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    @Drummerboy, just curious as to why your dome is turned so your thermometer is offset to the right? Better position to view it from inside your house? Can't say as I've ever seen a photo of one like yours. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Drummerboy
    Options
    It's off to the right because I didn't know any better 12 yrs ago!  :smiley: 

I definitely need to get a table nest for mine - I'm still using the little ceramic feet that came with it. Best place to buy?

Also, I'm feeling that it might be better to go with a Rutland gasket & Permatex UltracopperWhere is the best place to buy these things as well?

Thanks to all who have chimed in! I appreciate the help!
    Largo, FL

1 LG BGE
    1 Med BGE
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    @Drummerboy... Send @RRP a message. He's your hookup for the Rutland gasket. I bought mine from him and he was great to deal with. Installation is easy too once you read how to do it. Go for it!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @XC242 ... missed that ... good catch.  My base is offset a little to keep the temp probe centered (OCD) and align the bottom vent (correctly) in the nest/handler, but @Drummerboy's sets a new standard for an offset.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max