Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here`s my latest smoked fatty`s

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
done.jpg
<p />And I just added the picumentary of the process to my website...[p]Wess
[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    WessB,
    Sweeet![p]It was good talking to you today. I've got a new crab cake recipe I've been thinking about and some charred shrimp that I'm about to put on.[p]Glad I got something already in the works or I would be hurting after seeing that picture dude.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    WessB,[p]Those look great! I took 6 to work today & they were gone in no time. Some were breakfast and some kielbasa. Italian sausage stuffed with peppers and cheese are a good combo too.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    WessB,[p]Looks Great! The pictorial is great too![p]Did you use a drip pan?[p]Royals High![p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • WessB
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Sort of, the picture of them on the egg shows it somewhat. The pan is called a "seafood steamer" from nordicware....but it is no longer available, the flat section with the holes sits on top of what would look like a deep dish pizza pan, roughly an inch deep. I bought it for ABT`s but use for a lot of things..so in the truest sense of the word, a "direct" cook but with a double pan...I`ll see if I got a better pic of the pan, it`s a shame they don`t sell it anymore as it fills many uses.[p]Wess

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    WessB,[p]I thought so, but I had to ask. Thanks. Cool setup.[p]See ya in May!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WessB,
    nice job as usual on the pictorial. ... but hey, when are we gonna get to see this year's cruise pictures??!!!?? . .you know i live vicariously through your and sally's adventures! :-)

• WessB
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I keep pushin Sally to start it as she does all the comentary on the cruise pages....soon I promise, those pages take a lot more time than the cook pages do..[p]Wess

• Brobear
    Brobear Posts: 43
    Options
    WessB,
    Excuse my ignorance, but what makes up a fatty? Thanks.

• WessB
    Options
    Brobear,
    Follow the link I added and you can see it all explained..HTH[p]Wess

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    WessB,
    Were those made from store-bought Italian sausage?

• WessB
    Options
    egret,
    Yes they were, we buy these big packages of italian sausages from costco. Dont rememeber the brand off hand, but its all that costco carries. Pretty good sausages any way you cook em. I have yet to try making homemade sausage....[p]Wess

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    WessB, Nice. How many sausages per fatty? I reviewed your link, and can't tell. Thanks, Scott

• WessB
    Options
    Borders,
    I used 8 links of each type, these came out larger than a store bought 1# sausage roll / log. I would guess 6 links would be closer to the 1#er. Jwirlwind says he does 2# I believe, so I dont think it matters...make em as big asyou want...HTH[p]Wess

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    WessB, Thanks.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    2005223135.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,
    been thinking you were making them all with jimmy dean. smoked kielbasa is great. the butcher near me makes a great fresh kielbasa that i just skin coil and push flat. good stuff

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    Options
    97cea366.jpg
    <p />fishlessman,[p]Oh heck no, the JD's are just convienent (and priced right) when making them for work or saloon fare. I'm really into home-made sausage. Stuffied fatties are good too.[p]I actually make a lot of different kinds and not all pork, beef/pork mixed and all beef (with meatloaf seasonings)also.[p]Here is one I'm working on now, It was in the newspaper. (I think mixing 10 minutes is extreme, maybe it is a typo!) The sweet taters sound interesting![p]French Market Pork & Sweet Potato Breakfast Sausage[p]5 pounds ground pork
    1 (16-ounce) can yams, drained
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1-1/2 tablespoons rubbed sage
    1 teaspoon ginger
    1-1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
    2 teaspoons dried thyme
    2 tablespoons salt
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1-1/2 tablespoons granulated garlic
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    1 cup iced water
    When making sausage of any type it is always best to keep the meat chilled to 35 to 40 degrees. The iced water in the recipe maintains the cold temperature in the meat and sets the fat in the sausage.
    Slice the drained yams and dice into 1/4-inch cubes. Place the cubes on a cookie sheet and freeze for later use.
    In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the above ingredients except yams. Using your hands, mix well turning and pushing the meat 10 to 15 minutes to ensure proper blending. Gently fold in the frozen yams into the meat mixture.
    Freezing the yams will guarantee a solid 1/4-inch cube which will be visible in the finished sausage.
    Roll the sausage into 3-inch patties or stuff into hog casings and tie off at 6-inch links. Cook patties in the same manner as any other breakfast sausage or grill the links over charcoal.
    Makes 25-30,3-ounce patties.
    (Recipe courtesy of "Hot Beignets & Warm Boudoirs," by John D. Folse)[p]
    If you are into heat, I will post Bigwheel's Texas Hot Link recipe as it works good for fatties.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    thirdeye,
    definatly into the heat, and love making sausages. different every time. dont usually turn them into links, like the patties much better

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Then give this one a try. I have seen slight variations to this classic hot link recipe, the most common is to go with all pork instead of the 2# of beef & some call for a cup of beer instead of a bottle. I use a whole bottle but only mix some into the cut meat before grinding. The remainder I mix into the meat after grinding. Then I let it sit in the beer fridge overnight before stuffing or wrapping in bulk. This lets all of the moisture get absorbed and the flavors blend.[p]Like I said, this does have some heat, use your own judgement on the red pepper and cayenne. For some reason, fatties or hand-rolled links are not as hot as stuffed links. I guess some of the fat rendering out takes some heat with it.[p]Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~[p]
    Bigwheel's World Famous Genuine Texas Hotlinks
    5 pounds boston butt
    2 pounds lean beef
    1 bottle cold beer
    2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
    2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
    1 tablespoon granulated garlic
    2 teaspoons ground corriander
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
    1 teaspoon whole anise seeds
    1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 teaspoons ground thyme
    6 teaspoons Mortons Tender Quick
    1 teaspoon MSG[p]Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator while you cut up the meats into grinder sized pieces. Dump the spiced beer on the cut meat and mix it up good. Run spiced meat mixture through the grinder coarse or medium plate and stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy. Wash it down with ice cold beer.[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~