Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Replaced (Rutland Style)

Options

Ok, finally got around to it.  Ron is great to work with, so if you choose to go with the Rutland then he's your guy.  Nowadays, it's nice to run across a nice person, know what I mean?

Here are some observations:

It was easy...

It was inexpensive...

I'm saving money (shutdown seems to be saving more of my lump)

I did a 10 hr. butt at 225 and my temps seem to be more stable.

Strongsville, OH

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Pics??
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • TheBrewerMoose
    Options

haha, ok here's a pic.  now that I look at it it's not a great job but it works.  Looks like I need to do a clean burn... this is like when your girlfriend comes to your house and all your dirty laundry is laying about... so embarrassing :|

Strongsville, OH

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    That looks like a fine job, one of the best I've seen..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I did my Rutland replacement this past Sunday ... tell ya', I was a bit intimidated at first .. but once I got going and got the jist of the process - it was a snap. I'm doing my Mini tonite.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    Did you remove the top gasket or just leave it?
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • Northarrow
    Northarrow Posts: 103
    Options

I did my LBGE on Sunday as well.  +1 on working with Ron.  Pretty easy to install.  Did not take the dome off, and the existing gaskets pulled off without a problem.  I like how the egg closes now with that thick gasket.  No need to post a pic, as it looks like the one posted by TheBrewerMoose, except my egg  is a bit cleaner :)  

Kennebunk, Maine
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @Cm23, no need to replace the top gasket.
    Do remove the top gasket and clean up the rim of the dome real well and you are good to go.
    I love mine.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited May 2015
    Options

haha, ok here's a pic.  now that I look at it it's not a great job but it works.  Looks like I need to do a clean burn... this is like when your girlfriend comes to your house and all your dirty laundry is laying about... so embarrassing :|

Good job! - you can tell it by the uniformity of the braided pattern after it has been compressed back into itself or "bunched" as I call it. That small amount of Permatex showing will turn dark in time or if it really bothers you initially you can careful trim it with a sharp utility knife.
    BTW go ahead and do that burn out - the BGE is not capable of reaching a temperature which will damage that gasket at that level.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    I really need to do this. But not sure where to get it in the GWN. 
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • thebbb
    thebbb Posts: 67
    Options
    Pretty sure he will send it up here to Canada...I will get one eventually. 
    Lbge and MiniMax  in Southern Manitoba
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Ron, thanks a bunch. Got the lil box and will be laying it on when I have some time.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Greeno55 said:
    I really need to do this. But not sure where to get it in the GWN. 
    I ship to Canada on a regular basis! Got one going to Manitoba tomorrow in fact.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Northvaneggman
    Options
    +1 on Ron being a class act to deal with and taking great care of us Canadian eggheads. Installed mine last weekend and his instructions made it simple to do. Thanks again Ron. 
  • TheBrewerMoose
    Options

I did remove the top gasket.  Once you replace it you'll see that there's no reason to have a gasket on the top if you have the rutland on the bottom.

Just have a little bit of an underbite now that I need to address and I'm good to go!

Strongsville, OH