Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody have large nest alternative?

So we just bought our first popup camper and I would like to be able to take my old large egg camping but I do not have a stand or anything for it. They want $199.00 for a large nest and $59.00 for a table nest. Anyone have any ideas for a diy stand or am I stuck forking out 200 bucks for a stand. I could just use a table nest atop a few cinder bricks but with kids this makes me a little nervous not to mention extra weight to pull in the camper.Gonna be a pain lugging around a large but if I don't use it camping it will never be used. It has a hairline crack in the base but seeing it will be used only on the ground when camping and not on my wooden deck I'm willing to use it.

ideas? suggestions?

Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited May 2015
    Why not put in a warranty claim for the large and leave it on your deck and buy a mini for $275-$300 to travel with?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited May 2015
    Check for a used one on Craigslist.  I've bought 3-4 nests off Craigslist for about $50 a piece.  If you don't see any nests on Craigslist you might want to put a wanted ad for one. Large nests are the easiest to find on Craigslist 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Chubbs said:
    Why not put in a warranty claim for the large and leave it on your deck and buy a mini for $275-$300 to travel with?
    Already did the warranty and have a new egg on my deck,its the old cracked egg I need a stand for.

• CANMAN1976

WeberWho? said:
    Check for a used one on Craigslist.  I've bought 3-4 nests off Craigslist for about $50 a piece.  If you don't see any nests on Craigslist you might want to put a wanted ad for one. Large nests are the easiest to find on Craigslist 
    I'm in Newfoundland so craigslist and kijiji are not very helpful when there is only a handful of eggheads here in Newfoundland.

• Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    I'm a bit concerned that you are trying to make a cracked egg mobile. Travel bumps may worsen the crack.  
    But if you insist on trying , and are on a budget, i would make a wheeled cart. See the picture of the one Caliking made.  I built one from scrap 2x4s I had, and put 9 small castors under it.  Remember to pull it and never push.  Torque your bolts before the trip.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Set it on the ground. You're "camping", so rough it. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I agree with checking out @caliking panzerEggcart
  • CANMAN1976
    edited May 2015
    I was thinking about doing this. Probably just sit it on the ground on a paver. It'll just be a little low and awkward to flip burgers etc but it's better than using my old gasser!
    Guess I could dig a hole to stand in then I'd be at grid level...lol

• luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Your camping, get a few fire bricks and put it. . on a picnic table
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Sucks you're not local to me. I'd sell you my nest. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I was thinking about doing this. Probably just sit it on the ground on a paver. It'll just be a little low and awkward to flip burgers etc but it's better than using my old gasser!
    True Newfie logic - if the egg is to low, lower the cook. Just put it on the ground, what’s more that is at lawn chair height as I recall. If that crack expands and it goes into Humpty Dumpty mode while you are using it, it doesn’t have far to fall. .. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Just thinking out loud but what about one a utility cart.  Something like this:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sandusky-3-cu-ft-18-in-W-Utility-Cart-CW3418/202756889

It would be better than setting in on the ground and you could put other stuff in it to move it from the truck to the cooking area. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    You don't need a paver. Or a hole! If you were cooking over a campfire, how deep a hole would you have to dig for that?! Geez,

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CANMAN1976
    You don't need a paver. Or a hole! If you were cooking over a campfire, how deep a hole would you have to dig for that?! Geez,
    Dude I was only kidding about the hole of course. The paver was just a thought to keep things kinda level.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008

WeberWho? said:
    I'm in Newfoundland so craigslist and kijiji are not very helpful when there is only a handful of eggheads here in Newfoundland.
    I didn't ever think I would find a XL nest with few egghead around here.  I put a want ad on Craigslist and had two people within two days contact me and the seller was within a mile of my house!  I didn't ever think I would get a response.  Worth a shot anyways for a want ad
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,456
    edited May 2015
    Already did the warranty and have a new egg on my deck,its the old cracked egg I need a stand for.
    Wow, how bad was the crack that they gave you a whole new egg? btw, I like Carolina Q's suggestion the best, OTOH if you're visiting the Big Smoke any time soon, I can look for you in Kijiji.
    canuckland
  • nysportsfan
    nysportsfan Posts: 241
    Look for a used nest. I'm selling one, and people keep emailing me looking for the nest AND egg for $75  :o
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I'm a little jealous about the camper. If you build an EggCrate like mine, I bought the pneumatic tires/wheels at Harbor Freight. Don't know what the equivalent is in Canuckiana, but they were much cheaper than buying from HD.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Dude I was only kidding about the hole 
    LOL, you can never tell around here! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    all of my eggs sit on the ground except for the mini =) now if i could get the neighbor girl to cook on the mini, that would be on the ground too
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
     if i could get the neighbor girl to cook on the mini, that would be on the ground too
    ??? There must be more to that story! =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.