Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE VS Gas Grill

Options
OK, I know this has been debated and discussed here before, but I will have to say that my father in law is a bit of a master of the gas grill.  This last Saturday we celebrated Mother's Day early at their house and he grilled rib eyes, filets and strip steaks from Sam's.  The rib eyes and filet where great but the strips were just ok IMO.  The strips were a little thinner and I think they could have come off a little earlier.  The only thing missing was the charcoal taste that I have gotten used to on the egg.  Now I also think that the cuts of meat and their size had something to do with them being better than the strips.  My FIL also knows when things need to come off the grill, but not with the strips.  This is not making me want a gas grill by any means, but that I guess you can have a good steak other than on an egg if it cooked correctly.   I think the art of cooking a good steak is being lost in a lot of restaurants and I hardly ever order one out anymore.  My neighbor who has a large BGE chooses to cook most of his meals on his new gas grill lately because it is out on his deck and the egg is stored away in basement and only brings it out on the patio for special occasions it seems.  We are having a get together for Memorial weekend and I am going to try and talk him into bringing the egg around front or use his Weber Performer to cook burgers.  If not I may have to bring my XL out or use my WSM as a XL Smokey Joe.

What has everyone else been experiencing lately on BGE vs Gas?

VS

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I'll eat whatever is put in front of me.  Gas or egg.  I've never owned a gas grill so I have no real opinion other than growing up with one at my parents house.  My cousin invited my wife and I over for dinner the other night.  He made chicken on his gas grill.  I was impressed how juicy the chicken came out.  If someone's happy with their gas grill I'm happy for them. Different strokes for different folks
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I grew up eating food off of a gas grill. I thought that was the "only" way to grill. When I got married one of my first purchases was a gas grill. I went through a lot of them over the years.

Right before I bought my first egg I purchased a new stainless gas grill like the one pictured above. I then bought my egg. I was so amazed at the difference in the taste of the finished product that I never used my gasser again. 

A few months later a buddy from work wanted to borrow my gasser for a family birthday party, and I told him he could have it. 

He will be an Egghead before long! 

Cook on what makes you happy, but don't store your egg and only use it on special occasions! Every time I use my egg it is a special occasion to me!  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I still use my gas grill.  The BTUs have steadily gone down for years on the mid to low end grills and this makes searing or high heat a challenge.  Higher end grills don't have that prob as much and IR burners have fixed that.  The problem I have is indirect heat - most leak heat so much that it's tough to cook anything indirect in my experience.  They're just more limiting - narrow range of what they do well.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I had a gasser for years. The old style with lava rocks. When it died, they had stopped selling grills with lava rocks so I bought what was available. Did one cook on it and returned it, Worst burger I ever had! Bought a Weber kettle (1995 or so) and haven't used a gasser since.

However, my brother refuses to even discuss charcoal. Gas only for him. I have to say I've eaten some mighty fine food off that thing.

Love the convenience of a gasser. Charcoal is a PITA. And I'll bet over on the gasser forum, no one it arguing over which brand of propane is best. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    It's been said before, but the cooking vessel has less to do with the outcome as the person using the vessel does.  Go to a fancy steakhouse that knows what they're doing and most likely they are using gas ovens/grills over charcoal.  Some of the best steak I've had have been at Brazilian steak houses cooked on a spit over a gas fired flame.  Hell Aaron Franklin cooks arguably the best bbq in the world on recycled propane tanks turned into smokers.  If you're a good cook you can make anything work really, if you're a bad cook then you'll probably still be a bad cook on the egg, a gasser, etc.  

The Egg wins for me because of the versatility.  I can use it as a grill today, smoker tomorrow, pizza oven the next day, and bake a cobbler in it after that if I want.  I can probably do all the same with a good gas grill it's just not as easy to set up and achieve those things as it is on my egg.  
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I have a Gas Weber Genius..I use it from time to time. Also really great as an extra warming area at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and of course to store grids and grates etc..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    Charcoal is a PITA. And I'll bet over on the gasser forum, no one it arguing over which brand of propane is best. =)
    That's because Blue Rhino is the best...
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If you would have real BBQ, meat cooked over clean wood smoke, gas is good only if smoke is added as an aside. An aside, my mother, an exceptional home cook, tried over and over making ribs on a gasser w. lava rocks. Never as good as what she made in a DO in her stove.

You want seared steaks? Direct IR heat from lump beats gas every time by a couple of hundred degrees.
  • TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    Options
    My dad can't understand why I like charcoal so much better.  But my mom does not like smoky flavor, and really only eats chicken breast when she eats meat, so I guess I can.  I've had two gas grills.  I got both for free.  The wind in WY blew one over and broke it and the other rusted apart, but it was pretty well gone when I got it.  I cant think of a reason to buy another any time soon.

LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I once had a decent gasser (Ducane I believe) that used lava rocks & I could put out decent burgers, steaks, ribs and more. In fact I would run it around 250℉ indirect with only one set of burners lit and the ribs would be good.  Once that gassed died from succumbing to corrosion I went with a knockoff WSM and then came the egg. I still have that old knockoff WSM but, haven't used it in years. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I agree with @aukerns08 - I think bad food off a gasser says as much about the cook as the equipment.  I still have my Weber Genesis Special Edition, and probably use it as much or more than the egg.  There are definitely times when it is nice to be ready to cook in under 5 minutes.

Beyond that, it depends on what I'm cooking.  Anything I want smoke on, or a traditional BBQ cook, obviously it's the egg.  I also use the egg for braises and bigger cuts of meat, more as an oven roasting, same with baking.  Burgers are always on gas, as are roasted veggies.  Shrimp usually too.  Steaks and chops it depends on the size, if it is a 1.5-2" thick pork chop, it's getting reverse seared on the egg.  If it is a thin pork chop that's gonna take 2 minutes per side, gas.

They're just tools, use the one that makes the most sense to get what you want on the table in the time you've got.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I have the gasser Ladeback69 posted and I still use it. It's good for quick cooks when I'm in a pinch for time and it makes a great warming oven / side burner for more involved cooks. I have a cast iron chip box I use when I need some smoke.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    I HATED charcoal grilled food growing up.  The smell of Kingsford makes me want to puck.  My last house came with a gas grill hooked up to the house. (No propane tank). Like that much better.  Great way of cooking dinner without heating up the house.

At my new house, SWMBO gave me a Large Green Egg 5 Xmas ago.  Didn't touch it for 3 years (hate charcoal).  After a while, I got to like grilling on the egg based on results I was getting.  My only problem with the Large is no way could I do a weeknight cook like the gasser.  Even with my Mini wanna be (Vision Kub), it still take 10 minutes until I can cook vs turning of a knob on a gasser.

Big difference is I'm now excited about what I cook on the ceramic cookers vs just cooking on the gasser.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    I cook steaks on my Weber Genesis still. Gets to 700 degrees with a flick of the switch in minutes and sears perfectly. The short amount of time steak is on the egg adds very little to nothing to me and temp control is a snap with the gas, no fireballs at nuclear temps to deal with. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    I cooked steaks on a friend's gas grill on Mother's Day.  They were among the best steaks I have ever cooked.  It was the first meat I have cooked with gas in a long time.  I reverse seared them by cooking them at 250 on the upper grate - then searing them on the IR side burner.  I've learned a lot here about cooking and am grateful to BGE for hosting this forum.  But most of what I have learned here can be applied to any grill if I pay attention to the underlying principles.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Six years ago I purchased a new gas range for the kitchen, but never hooked it up, and still haven't to this day.  As a challenge, I wanted to try cooking exclusively outdoors.  With the exception of using the rice cooker, wok, or bread machine, I've succeeded in cooking everything on the grill or attached side burner.  I have a decent Weber - nothing fancy, as well the benefit of a favorable climate.

I think I've pushed cooking on gas about as far as I can.  The two specific things that I cannot overcome with gas are the ability to do low and slow, as well as having consistent thermal mass / heat retention.  Ok, one more reason is I want to be in the cool club.

Since I don't have the egg yet, I can't say for sure what I'll do with my grill, although I'm certain it will play a support role.  I'd still take advantage of the space for side dishes and simple things like quick breakfasts.
    Phoenix 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I bought my first gasser when I turned 40 (long time ago); it just made sense as I was working odd hours and it was much quicker that getting briquettes up to heat.  When I retired, time was not an issue; I gave my gasser away and went back to a Weber briquette grill.
    Then, 10 years after I retired, my amazing spouse bought me a Large BGE for my birthday and I have never looked back.
    No gas, no briquettes, no more!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    This thread is revealing a lot. "Hi my name is _________, and I cook with gas." 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    Options
    Whew, at first I thought the troll was back again, but looks like a real thread.

For my family, Egg wins hands down.  Before I got the egg, I had a gasser/charcoal side by side.  I read a gasser was a good as an egg and you could get it up to 550 degrees plus just like the egg for searing steaks.   So I tried it, and it went that high--then all the paint caught on fire and the thermometer melted.  

I think one big egg secret is the moisture retention--the gasser does not fog your glasses when you open the lid--the moisture retained in the egg does.

After I got the egg, I passed the charcoal /gasser down to my nephew as I never used it again.  Some egger then asked what my nephew did to make me mad.  

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Dobie said:
    I cook steaks on my Weber Genesis still. Gets to 700 degrees with a flick of the switch in minutes and sears perfectly. The short amount of time steak is on the egg adds very little to nothing to me and temp control is a snap with the gas, no fireballs at nuclear temps to deal with. 
    I agree with this - in fact you can foil pouch some wood chips for smoke on your steak if you like that and using indirect two zone cooking, a gasser is ideal for reverse sear. Depending on the brand they can get smoking hot in no time. 
    Would not be without a gasser. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It's all about versatility, convenience in a pinch and volume cooks. Or warming. I grew up with Weber, still have one, but really prefer food from the egg. Use both and eat well, too well maybe!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I gave my gasser to a neighbor a few months ago. Haven't used it sense I bought the egg a year ago. I always did big cuts on a weber kettle. Gave it away too. My Large BGE and side burner combo work for me. If I'm in a real time pinch I sear something in Cast iron on my side burner. Other than that it's egg all the way for me. But cooking has always been my therapy. I love it, so "waiting on charcoal" for me is all about prepping everything else. I use the egg 5 nights a week most weeks. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I love my eggs but my infrared grill cooks a better steak with more consistency. My TEC gasser gets waaaay hotter than the egg. Comparing a cheap $200 gasser to a BGE isn't a fair fight. 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    like a lot of folks have said, I definitely use my Weber Genesis for quick cooks, like burgers or a chick breast
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Since everyone is telling their gas grill life story I will tell mine.  Back in about 1995 I bought my first and only gas grill.  It was a Broil King with lava briquettes, 2 buuners and a third for a rotisserie.  I looked at the Egg, but couldn't justify the cost and wanted something quicker to cook with.  I made a lot of great food on that thing; pork loin roast on the rotisserie, ribs going indirect by turning off one burner and used a wood tray with wood chips for some flavor.   I finally talked the wife into letting me get a new grill last February and I debated over a Weber Genesis or BGE.   I chose the XL and put the gasser to the curb.   Haven't missed it since. 

DoubleEgger said:
    I love my eggs but my infrared grill cooks a better steak with more consistency. My TEC gasser gets waaaay hotter than the egg. Comparing a cheap $200 gasser to a BGE isn't a fair fight. 
    I understand it can get real hot and sear, but I like the flavor that egg gives when I do steaks.   I cook mine at around 700 to 750.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I love my Weber Genesis.  My preference is charcoal, but I grill more because of the gasser.  We all say we can have charcoal going in the same time frame, but its not true.  Ive been on the side of the argument that says my weed burner and an egg are just as fast, but they are not.  I push a button and I am grilling in five minutes.

So for taste, my weber kettles, bubba keg, or the eggs win every time. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Gas grills make me realize just how inexpensize eggs really are. Buying a new 300-3000 grill every couple years is much more expensive than one $1100 egg every 25 years
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Gas grills make me realize just how inexpensize eggs really are. Buying a new 300-3000 grill every couple years is much more expensive than one $1100 egg every 25 years
    My brother in law has bought 3 gas grills in the last 10 years I have known him.  That's about $1000 for the models he has be buying.  He likes the egg, but has his gas grill on the deck and worry about the egg catching it on fire.  I know there are a lot of people who have them on the deck, but gas can get going faster and he does a pretty good job cooking on it.  He also has an old smoker he uses once in a while.  I do agree that if you can cook on one grill, you should be able to cook on anything with a little practice.  I think the Egg does make things better and my food has been better since I got it and I do most of the cooking now because of it.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Beg to differ. To summarize from "Modernist Cuisine," Vol. 2, page 11, gas burning grills that provide their cooking heat by radiating IR deliver between 300 - 500F less temperature than the IR from glowing lump. Beyond that, an Egg at full draft gets hot enough to kindle CO, whose flames are approx 2100F. Also from MC, the IR energy from glowing lump is about 210% greater than the re-radiating surfaces of gas fired units.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    My brother in law has bought 3 gas grills in the last 10 years I have known him.  That's about $1000 for the models he has be buying.  He likes the egg, but has his gas grill on the deck and worry about the egg catching it on fire.  I know there are a lot of people who have them on the deck, but gas can get going faster and he does a pretty good job cooking on it.  He also has an old smoker he uses once in a while.  I do agree that if you can cook on one grill, you should be able to cook on anything with a little practice.  I think the Egg does make things better and my food has been better since I got it and I do most of the cooking now because of it.
    This is probably a skewed statistic because more people have gas grills these days, but I read on the interweb that gas grill start many more fires than charcoal grills.  

http://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/outdoors/grilling

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.