Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Given the learning curve...add in a Kick Ash Basket?

Options
Dawnya00
Dawnya00 Posts: 50
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
Hi there! I am anxiously awaiting the delivery my LGE and want to start off with the greatest success as possible. I understand that is it best to keep things simple with accessories in those first several cooks but I wonder if it would be better from the start by using the KAB as I learn how to use my BGE?
Thoughts?

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I say keep it simple and as long as you have a direct and indirect setup you can experiment and learn.  Then, once you get your feet wet then you can best decide which accessories are most important to you. The KAB may be perfect for you and certainly wouldn't hurt anything.  Enjoy your soon to delivered LBGE.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Congrats on the new egg! +1 What @4Runner  said. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I wouldn't. I've had my large for nearly six years with the stock fire grate. No issues. Though it has been cracked for a while now, there's plenty of life left. When it dies, I'll probably just get a new one.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I like mine but it's not 100% necessary.  It makes clean up a little easier between cooks
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    Acn said:
    If you expect to add a KAB or a stainless cap I would suggest getting them initially.  I learned my temperature settings with factory equipment, then relearned after getting a more open grate (hi que style) and then relearned again after getting the stainless cap.  It would have been easier and saved time to only learn once.

Congrats and enjoy the egg!
    +1.  If you learn using stock equipment and change something it does affect the way the Egg comes to temp and stuff like that so might as well learn it with the KAB from day one.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    I would get the Smokeware Stainless Steel cap before the KAB but that is me....
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I started with the stock set up.  It worked well as Michael says.  I first added the Smokeware cap and it worked better.  Then added the KAB ('cuz I'm OCD about getting the pit the same every time) ... found out that the egg does breath a little better.

I now have both on two eggs, but if I had to give up one it would be the KAB.  Then I'd probably argue for a Fishbone or High-Que grate to replace it.

Still good advice to start with stock before you end up with a garage full of seldom used accessories.  I do believe that the Smokeware cap should be stock though ... ugly daisy is too complicated for me.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    KAB was the first thing I got, bought it the same time I bought the egg. It was in my house before the egg was delivered....
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • Nuke1855
    Nuke1855 Posts: 281
    Options
    I have both and they're great !! Definitely excellent eggcessories 

Living The Big Green Egg Life...

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.caribeque.com/">www.caribeque.com</a>

www.biggreenegglife.com

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    Just set the KAB directly on top of your stock grate. No need to ditch the grate, as the KAB holds the lump off the grate and creates extra air space, along with the ease of clean up. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Definitely agree with @swordsmn

The Thermapen should be the first accessory and everything else second 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Changes in variables will ultimately modify how the unit reacts to set points.  There would be a small learning curve if the eggcessories are added later. That goes without saying on any modification.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    the only real upgrade that effects cooking in the egg is raising the grid for direct cooking. if you have not purchased the platesetter, take that money to the ceramic grill store for an adjustable rig, spider, and stone. there isnt a cook that cant be done with that rack system. then get a thermapen to fine tune your cook. ash basket and smokeware cap are way down the list, they dont make the egg cook better, maybe easier handling but not how it will cook. there is lots of cheaper ways to raise that grid but it is an important step up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Definitely agree with @swordsmn

The Thermapen should be the first accessory and everything else second 
    I never understood the hype over a thermometer.  Now I understand.  Had mine since the St. Patty's sale - and it's changed the way I grill.  Definitely a must have.
    Phoenix 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I first added the Smokeware cap and it worked better.  
    I don't use ANY cap. Maybe a couple times a year, I use the DFMT on the large. Not on the mini at all. Both DFMTs are around here somewhere. I guess. :) If it rains hard enough, I have a $6 chimney cap.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    I went a year before getting the KAB and think my skills (such as they are) improved because I waited.  Same with learning to start the fire for a while w/o a torch.  Held off about 6 months and am glad I did.  But even gladder to have given up the cubes!

Built a home-brewed raised grid very early on -- probably the most important piece of the arsenal.  Didn't throw down for the woo or the AR, even though I stared at them for hours.  Think I'm doing ok without them.

Thermopen came later, as I made due with the dome and another stick-in/non-instant read I had.  

Also the RediCheck came later -- was VERY skeptical, but it's indispensable for overnight cooks (assuming you want to get any sleep at all).

No cap yet.

Bought the Rutland gasket (thanks @RRP!), but yet to install it, because lazy and making due.

All sorts of heat-resistant gloves keep showing up and I've yet to be able to recommend any of them without qualification.

Just my $0.02.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I think if you ask newer eggers they will say get the KAB because it was popular when they came on board.  Longer tenured eggers like myself say not necessary. I used  stock for a year and then upgraded to High que and have not looked back. It is not necessary to pick up a basket and shake coal to get the ash ready. A couple of stirs with the ash tool or a stick and it is ready to light. Grab a beer and it will be ready soon. I could see it being a benefit if tailgating and wanting to remove the hot coal to speed cool down but that is about it in my opinion. To each his own
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Gloves are a necessity that gets overlooked a lot.  One burn later, and It was blaringly apparent to me!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    I would HIGHLY recommend a Kick Ash Basket for your LBGE out of the gate.  Speaking from personal experience, I was getting very frustrated with my egg the first few cooks as a result of the vent holes getting clogged with small pieces of lump and ash, and not being able to breathe.  You can eliminate that headache and concentrate more on the finesse and technique of cooking on your new egg.

Cheers,

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atlanta Area
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    Speaking as a fairly new Egger: I just now ordered a KAB reading this post. Why? Because cleaning out/stirring around the old coals before starting a new cook is honestly the biggest PITA I have to deal with on my egg (I have a medium). I see the KAB saving me both time and headache and I'm very much looking forward to getting it. I think that like most things in life, if you get used to doing something "because I've always done it that way" you'll tend to stick with that - but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the most efficient way of doing things, IMHO. 
    I also agree with the others that starting off with accessories that will change the way your egg behaves (SS Top, KAB) will ultimately keep you from having to learn the egg twice. 
    That said, if I could only have 3 accessories I think my placesetter, thermapen and SS top would absolutely be what I would choose.....but like 99% of the people on here, you'll never stop with just 3 :wink: 
    Welcome to the addiction!!!

Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    If you expect to get the KAB get it now and learn to use it right from the get-go. And welcome, have fun and enjoy your Egg.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    FWIW I'm still using the OE fire grate on my large and I have no complaints. The High Que and KAB both serve their purpose but, are not a must. Stir ash, clean out fire box and air holes etc, add more lump, light it and egg on. First upgrade I did was a cheap homemade raised grid and 3 yrs later I'm still using it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dawnya00
    Dawnya00 Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks all! I love the solid advice. We did get the platesetter, that will come on delivery day. I think I need to look at thermometer probes and gloves. I am a huge believer in keeping things simple, esp as I convert DH to the Egg lifestyle.
    I am so dang excited to get her. DH says the patio and built in needs finished first but I am going to keep working on him, the sooner I can start with some cooks, the sooner he will eat like a king! 
  • fergi
    fergi Posts: 138
    Options
    Acn said:
    If you expect to add a KAB or a stainless cap I would suggest getting them initially.  I learned my temperature settings with factory equipment, then relearned after getting a more open grate (hi que style) and then relearned again after getting the stainless cap.  It would have been easier and saved time to only learn once.

Congrats and enjoy the egg!

I agree with Acn if money isn't an object. I clean between almost every cook and the KAB is nice. It certainly doesn't complicate anything.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• Nuke1855
    Nuke1855 Posts: 281
    Options
    I have both and they're great !! Definitely excellent eggcessories

Living The Big Green Egg Life...

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.caribeque.com/">www.caribeque.com</a>

www.biggreenegglife.com

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    +1 there!  I have both on my large and when Chad does come up with a KAB that will fit Kamado Joe Jr, I'll have one right away!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    GuitarEC said:
    I would HIGHLY recommend a Kick Ash Basket for your LBGE out of the gate.  Speaking from personal experience, I was getting very frustrated with my egg the first few cooks as a result of the vent holes getting clogged with small pieces of lump and ash, and not being able to breathe.  You can eliminate that headache and concentrate more on the finesse and technique of cooking on your new egg.
    I agree totally with the above.  You've already dropped a lot of nickels to get the Egg, it's okay to save the KAB for later, but you'll get the occasional cook that doesn't work like the others, and discover the holes somewhere got clogged; that doesn't happen with the basket.  
    The KAB "may" let the Egg reach cooking temp faster (I don't know) but otherwise the only changes it'll bring are more consistency and easier cleaning.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Stir the coals, open the bottom, empty the ash.  It does not get much simpler than that.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike