Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken quesadilla

Options
mjk412
mjk412 Posts: 113
I wanted to make chicken quesadillas on the egg in a few days.  Any tips and recipes?

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'd try the search tool, but I'd cook a spatch and use left overs to build quesadillas with some crema and grilled onions and peppers. Fold and throw on egg for a couple minutes a side. 
  • mjk412
    Options
    Ok. I need to redeem myself since the wife is not impressed with the egg. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I didn't chime in on the other post, but is she unhappy with smokiness?  I went thru that. Switched to Rockwood and let it get nice and clean. You can achieve close to the same with any lump but it takes patience. RW comes clean quickly.   What lump are you using?
  • mjk412
    Options
    I didn't chime in on the other post, but is she unhappy with smokiness?  I went thru that. Switched to Rockwood and let it get nice and clean. You can achieve close to the same with any lump but it takes patience. RW comes clean quickly.   What lump are you using?
    She's not a fan of the smokey flavor. She only likes a hint of it. I'm using royal oak. 
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    @mjk412 went through the same thing with smokiness. Either switch lump or just let it run for a good 30-45 before putting food on and see if it helps. 

For or the quesadilla, try getting a link of chorizo and cooking in skillet on the egg then cooking your chicken in the left over grease. I use the penzys fajita rub, dp fajitaish, or just a mix of powdered chiles and peppers with some lime juice on the chicken 
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    plus 1 on the recommendation to let it burn a good bit prior to adding your food.  My wife doesn't care for smoke much either.  I use Rockwood and wait until it burns clean and then I'm good to go.  No complaints of smokey food.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I've had really good luck with pulled chicken from thighs, and plain old shredded cheddar.  We also like steak quesadillas as well. 

I put a 12" cast iron skillet in a 375-400 degree egg, and let it get hot.  Put cheese, chicken, green onions, cilantro, etc on half of the tortilla, and then lay on the skillet.  Close the lid and let everything get all melty for about 2-3 min. The empty side of the tortilla should start to puff up just a little bit. Take a metal spatula, and fold over the empty side on top of the cheese. Leave it alone for about a minute, then flip to the other side.  Let that cook for another 30 seconds or so, then take off, cut into thirds and serve with salsa and cream cheese.  It should be toasty/crunchy.  The kids love them. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Sour cream, not cream cheese.  

Although, that may not be bad either.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE