Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork shoulder steak?

Options
higb
higb Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of the local markets has (fresh not frozen or cryo-packed :-O) "pork shoulder steaks" for $1.69/lb. I wonder if those would make a little less pulled pork than a full shoulder in a little less time?[p]I haven't tried a shoulder of any kind yet.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    higb,
    They will probably cook up nicely...though not with the same pullable texture as a whole shoulder. The country ribs I get here are usually cut from the shoulder, and I cook them indirect at maybe 300 for 2-3 hours (depending on thickness), and finish them direct to add character, and caramelize the sauce (if I use sauce). They are moist, tender, and tasty....though more sliceable than pullable. Gfw uses the same method for country ribs, and has set up a nice description with photos.[p]Have fun...they will be good.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • higb
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for the info. I picked up a couple of the steaks and have put the rub upon them. I've got my fire bricks (took a little while to track down) and will head out for a second 15" grill a little later.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    higb,
    Just a drip pan and v-rack will work if you aren't cooking a whole bunch.
    Keep us posted. How thick are those babies? When are you cooking them?[p]Enjoying the smell of oak and apple wood now, as the 8 pound picnic smokes (put it on an hour ago). Brisket goes on at about 2 am! What a great thing Qin' is![p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • higb
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I've got the "U" of fire bricks (full size on the bottom and splits coming up the side) and a second grill on top. I made a sort of foil tray to sit in the "U". The pork shoulder steaks were 3/4 to 1 inch thick. They're running at a little less than 300F with a bit of hickory :-).[p]I'm watching from a little ways away with a good book, "Pest Control" by Bill Fitzhugh. A down on his luck pest exterminator is mistaken for an international hit man ... hilarity ensues.