Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

West Coast BBQ Classic

Options
McStew
McStew Posts: 965

Well we had the opportunity to swing by the West Coast BBQ Classic at the Queen Mary yesterday.  Very interesting day of tasting some great Q and some not so great but everyone gave it there all.  We decided to sign up for next years event should be fun.  This year we arrived early to get some of my favorites that normally sell out fast.  First in line has its benefits  Harry Soo one of my must have list, took us around back for some chef selected brisket chicken and ribs before he turned in.  Great guy great family I also ended up signing up for his backyard cooking class the wife was not so happy. 

Hermosa Beach CA 

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Way Cool!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    I'm sure it was a good time
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a great time brother. Above you said that you got to try some of his food before turn in. How was it? 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• McStew
    Options
    @SGH his ribs and pulled pork were great and the results showed it.  All in all a great time and I'm already looking forward to next year. 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I've judged that contest before, it's always a good time. Perenially in the running for the largest contest in CA (one I judged was the largest EVER on the west coast).

Harry is an awesome guy, sounds like a lot of fun.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Options
    We went a couple years ago and stayed on board.  I was kinda bummed.  I guess I just didn't know what to expect.  I guess I thought there would be more tastes available and BBQers were more "accessible".  

That being said I know what to expect so may give it shot again next year. You had great weather this year to when we were there it was like 100.  
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • McStew
    Options
    BREWnQ said:
    We went a couple years ago and stayed on board.  I was kinda bummed.  I guess I just didn't know what to expect.  I guess I thought there would be more tastes available and BBQers were more "accessible".  

That being said I know what to expect so may give it shot again next year. You had great weather this year to when we were there it was like

If you went a couple of years ago it was a bit smaller of an event, each year of the event they add more and more competitors.  Everyone had samples and yes the cooks normally are not accessible before turn in but after it is simple and easy to talk with everyone.    
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Options
    Ok so a tip would be to go later in the day after the stress of cooking is done.  I'd never been to a comp so I though it would just be a bunch of people sitting around drinking beer and talking about BBQ.  What I found was I had to buy tickets to get rushed through a line for a tiny sample.  The bigger teams kinda had their booths or what not fenced off so unless you were on the list you couldnt even get near them.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • McStew
    Options
    BREWnQ said:
    Ok so a tip would be to go later in the day after the stress of cooking is done.  I'd never been to a comp so I though it would just be a bunch of people sitting around drinking beer and talking about BBQ.  What I found was I had to buy tickets to get rushed through a line for a tiny sample.  The bigger teams kinda had their booths or what not fenced off so unless you were on the list you couldnt even get near them.
    well you still need to buy tickets and stand in line for a small sample nothing has changed.  But remember these cooks are feeding thousands of people so the portion size needs to be small.  I feel as if everyone is accessible we just needed to figure out how / when to try and talk   
    Hermosa Beach CA