Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yo Nature boy

Options
Crab leg
Crab leg Posts: 291
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Chris,
In a post below you mentioned that the judges must not have liked your chicken. Just curious... Do you get to taste your competition's stuff, or were you just referring to your chicken results/scores? I was wondering what "taste" they do like down there if they do not like your chix. Using the advise that you have given me for chix over the past few years, I have never been dissapointed nor have any of the people that I have served. I guess part of the reason I asked this question was to see if you learned anything new, and will you tweak your cooking maybe regionally or stick with what you guys do so friggen well? 5 wins in one year speaks volums for doing things the same way, but I know you guys always want to get better. Congrats on your results this past weekend, and much success to you this year.
Seth

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Those are really good questions Seth. I have been thinking about this a lot.
    I have a bunch of stuff to try and get wrapped up by 3, but I will definitely stop back and type out some of my thoughts on this.
    Talk to you in a few!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Seth, I am not sure exactly how to answer your question, as I am still learning bigtime. I have a couple theories though! LOL. I will start with your questions.[p]Did you get to taste your competition's stuff, or were you just referring to your chicken results/scores?
    I never feel much like eating, so I don't get to try many other teams' stuff (except my neighbors' stuff sometimes), but I did talk to some locals. Also, the scores definitely opened my eyes. Our tenderness scores were 5 8 7 6 6 6 . Obviously this particular table of judges was expecting something different in their mouths. I don't even think we got a 6 in tenderness all last year. [p]I was wondering what "taste" they do like down there if they do not like your chix?
    The folks in this part of the country really don't seem to be big on sweet. In fact, they told me they like it bitter, smoky, spicy and sour. We knew this in advance, and made a few adjustments, but I think the judges we got were locals that expected a totally different product. [p]Did you learned anything new, and will you tweak your cooking maybe regionally or stick with what you guys do so friggen well?
    We already knew that sooner or later we were going to have to start making adjustments for local tastes. This is actually one of the reasons I wanted to go down there....just to see how we'd do. While our consistency is one of the reasons we have done so well, it becomes clearer each time that we are going to have to adjust the product for the particular area. Especially areas with as unique a flavor preference as the flatlands of the Carolinas.[p]Congrats on your results this past weekend, and much success to you this year.
    Thank you buddy. It was great to get out and go through the process again finally, and we had a boatload of fun. 4 weeks from now we go to Maryland, and I can't wait.[p]You know....it would be a lot of fun to do a thread someday, and find out what unique tastes that different areas in the country have.[p]Man....sorry for the long winded message!
    Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    you know, i heard or read somewhere that some comp teams, when they go to a town, head straight for the most popular local bbq joint. ..see what the locals are eating, then adjust accordingly .. .maybe something to that. ...on the other hand, i know there are teams out there that no matter where they are, they do it the same way that is always successful for them. .. .it will be interesting to see what happens in salisbury, as i assume you will cook there with what was successful the last couple of years there. ..regardless, congrats on the 21st over all finish. .top 3rd aint too shabbby considering the the gang that was there this weekend. ..[p]as the old saying goes "you win a few, you lose a few, some get rained out, but you have to dress for them all". . .[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Good points Max. You do need to notice what the general population in that area likes. But deciding to adjust stuff on the way to a competition is definitely dangerous! [p]Good saying about dressing for them all.
    Cheers budmang.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • YankeeBBQ
    YankeeBBQ Posts: 97
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I like to hit the local supermarket and see what's on the shelves. If the sauce section is real small then odds are sauce is not big in that area. If every Isle in the store has some type of pastry or sweet treat then perhaps it's time to sweeten up your Q. I like to use the local product in my q ie the local brand of honey. [p]Steve