Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Best Concert

Options

Comments

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    I've been fortunate to see many amazing shows in my life so far. I'm a huge Stones fan and was luck enough (or dumb enough to pay many $$$'s) to see the Stones at Roseland Ballroom (NYC) Sept 30, 2002. Found the set list online here.

It was part of the 40 Licks tour and in order to get tix you had to join the fan club and buy tickets to their Giants Stadium, Madison Square Garden and Roseland shows all at once through the club. Very hefty premium, great seats to all shows and all were awesome but the club show was f**king amazing. Didn't drink one ounce of liquid for fear of losing my choice general admission spot. It was unreal to see stadium masters kick so much ass in a club. They killed some deep cuts and their cover of "That's How Strong My Love Is" was other wordly. 

I've seen the Stones on every tour since Steel Wheels but this was the best and therefore the best show ever for me. 

Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• egzilla
    egzilla Posts: 51
    Options
    I produce concerts for a living so I have seen some amazing shows. My top three
    1. Phil Collins
    2. The Eagles
    3. Steeley Dan
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    No doubt about it. Roger Waters, The Wall. I have been to Red Rocks twice very cool place to see a show. 6400 ft elevation, so if you go, remember thin air intensifies the effect of alcohol, and pot is legal. First time I had ever seen anyone play "weed pong". 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Last time at Red Rock
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    Ok. I'm ready to be flamed and laughed at: let me say I like all music. Been to over a hundred concerts. Seen buffet 24 times. But the best ever....Willie Nelson at Chastain Park in Atlanta in 2000. Someone gave me tickets at the last minute. Swmbo and I said "why not". Loved Willie ever since. 

Worst ever...Dave Mathews, same year. And I really like his music. 
    I have never been to a bad concert at Chastain   Have sen Buffet, Yanni, Cheap Trick, Fleetwood Mac, The Tops/Temps, and James Taylor there.    JT was awesome at Chastain.

Going to see Indigo girls in June then Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga together in July
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Been to a lot of shows and I am quite jealous of some of the ones you all have been to see.  

Most at surprising one lately was actually zac brown band- normally you have one or two great musicians in the group but they were all strong and played a wide variety of music. 

Another less known one one show was Avett Brothers New Years eve 2014- but the copious amount of alcohol that night makes parts of the show a blur. 
    Speaking of ZBB    did you see the video of ZB, Vince gill, and Greg Allman doing Midnight Rider?     Unbelievable
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Jimmy Buffett is hands down the best show and best atmosphere I have experienced. If you have never seen him at a amphitheater you should consider. Going to see him June 2nd in Atlanta. 
    Snellville, GA

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Just saw DMB Wed night at the Austin 360 Amphitheater - part of the COTA F1 track complex.  Great show, no opener, they played two sets, first was acoustic.  I thought it was great.  I'm going to sound old here, but the volume and sound were perfect, not too loud or blown out.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I have been to allot of concerts over the years and my music tastes have changed over them.

Metal notables
    Iron Maiden back in 88 in NJ
    Black Sabbath with Dio in 2000 something
    Def Leppard w/ Tesla
    Bent Brother (Twisted Sister as their own cover band) in a small venue.

Other notables
    Billy Joel at Yankee stadium
    Kenny Chesney with Zac Brown Metlife statdium - that was a fun day all day - the tailgating was insane.

Floyd I missed and wish I could have seen one of their shows.  However there is a rumor that Gilmour is releasing an album and a possible small tour.

Garnerville, NY
  • noarmysargent
    Options
    I've been to lots of concerts.  For a live show,
    Rock - Kiss.  Country - Hank Jr.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Steely Dan in Gainesville back in about 97. It was  psychedelic.  B)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    OK, back the mid 80's I worked security for concerts in town so I got to see a lot of shows.  But the one I remember the most that I liked was Monsters of Rock at Arrowhead Stadium in 1988 which was Kingdom Come, Metallica, Dokken, Scorpions and Van Halen.  I was working security for the show and was a supervisor so I could be on stage during the concert.  Scorpions were awesome and I stood of stage right and watched almost the whole set.  One funny thing was watching Sammy Hagar try to use the fire house we used between acts to keep the crowd cool.  It about knocked him on his a$$.  The other fun thing besides the music the girls that were taking off all there clothes because they were to hot.  I have many more, but we were asked for only one.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    UNO Lakefront Jazz Fest 94 Buckwheat>The Band>ABB. The Weight & Liz Reed in one night
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    One of the coolest was Garth Brooks in September of 2014.  18 years since he last played Atlanta and it was packed..like standing room only packed.  Loudest cheering I've ever heard for an artist and it lasted from the time he stepped on stage until he quit singing 4 hours later.  Every time he stopped it went nuts.....crazy nuts.....until he started up for another song.  He would just stand looking at the audience with hat in hand and smile while shaking his head in disbelief.  He could have played till 2am and I don't think a soul would have walked out.     

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Drummerboy
    Drummerboy Posts: 36
    Options
    Cheap Trick - hardest working band in the world. Stopped counting after 50 shows. Somewhere close to 100 now.

Roger Waters - The Wall
    AC/DC - multiple
    Rush - multiple
    The Who - multiple (first was the 1982 farewell tour)
    Def Leppard - multiple

One of the only bands I haven't seen live is the Rolling Stones
    Largo, FL

1 LG BGE
    1 Med BGE
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Metallica and the SFO Orchestra. Eric Clapton @ the Royal Albert. Looking forward to Zac Brown Band @ Fenway this summer. Been to many DMB shows. Central Park was mint!  
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Just bought Zac Brown tix today for Austin, show's not until November.  Great show last year, I wasn't sure what to expect.  Closing with Metallica's Sandman hooked me.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've never been to a  concert, my wife tells me I need to change that.  
    I just have no idea who is want to see 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    OK, back the mid 80's I worked security for concerts in town so I got to see a lot of shows.  But the one I remember the most that I liked was Monsters of Rock at Arrowhead Stadium in 1988 which was Kingdom Come, Metallica, Dokken, Scorpions and Van Halen.  I was working security for the show and was a supervisor so I could be on stage during the concert.  Scorpions were awesome and I stood of stage right and watched almost the whole set.  One funny thing was watching Sammy Hagar try to use the fire house we used between acts to keep the crowd cool.  It about knocked him on his a$$.  The other fun thing besides the music the girls that were taking off all there clothes because they were to hot.  I have many more, but we were asked for only one.  
    I saw that show in NJ.  I was falling asleep when Van Halen came on - long day in the sun.

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokinScooter
    Options
    DEFINITELY Pink Floyd @ Bobby Dodd stadium....DEFINITELY!

~Eric - Keepin' it real in Stone Mountain
                       LBGE, homemade cedar table
                       SBGE, table in process
                       Auber temp. control & blower
                       iGrill2 & iGrill mini

"Hey Utah, make it two!"
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    TnJed said:
    I see lots of shows.

Hard to pick a favorite, but Ratdog at the Ryman was really good. Phish at Starwood with a host of guests. Maybe 2001?

Anything at the Ryman.

I second the Ryman, one of the top locations for concerts, I've seen many concerts there.  If anyone is in Nashville, definatelly check out that pace.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    DEFINITELY Pink Floyd @ Bobby Dodd stadium....DEFINITELY!
    That was a kick ass show! 
  • flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    Options
    Eagles followed by George Strait
    Auburn, Alabama
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My folks went to see Billy Joel when he was touring with Elton John.  I bet they would say that was their top.

Was this the one where they covered each other's songs?  I heard from my friend that was phenomenal.  

My best live performance would be Robert Cray.  For those who don't know him, he's a blues man and performed often with BBK.  The first concert of his I saw we were in this theater newly renovated.  The orchestra level was linen cloaked tables, and we were at table #7.  We ran up a big bar tab that night, and he was amazing.  Circa 1993.

• Azbill
    Azbill Posts: 26
    Options
    Rolling Stones ; Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers ; Lanyard Skynard

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    My first was Iron Butterfly in 69'  David Bowie "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.  Band in spider costumes and Bowie coming out of the sky in a spaceship was definitely the most bizarre, but anything would have been bizarre that night.

Most memorable has to be Marshall Tucker with the Outlaws in 75'  Outlaws must have played "Green Grass and High Tides for 30 minutes.

Thank God I survived those days
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    I saw that show in NJ.  I was falling asleep when Van Halen came on - long day in the sun.
    I didn't get home tellike about 2 am if I remember correctly. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I said eagles in an earlier post, had the wrong year it was 1978 not 1988. But I have been to at least 6 ZZTop concerts through the years and have bee awesome every time! The best one was at Tulare County Fair 1997. Small crowd and the boyz were awesome!! Eagles at the Cow Palace was still the best!!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • DoubleEgger
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @jabam  I saw ZZ Top two years ago and it was easily one of the worst shows I've ever seen. It was just another one of those "old guys need a paycheck" tours. They quit playing 20 mins before cutoff time. Wish I'd seen them in their prime. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Saw Styx that same year. Great show.