Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak

Options
I've bought my last two bags of RO from the local Wal-Mart instead of the 90 mile round trip to my local BGE dealer, not to mention the cost of the re-branded lump. The bags are only 8 lbs, and the lump is in small pieces. Anyone know if RO puts larger pieces in the 20 pound bags? Or is just the luck of the draw?
Atlanta GA. 

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have better luck with Home Depot's RO. 17.7 lb bags, $12 and change. Larger pieces, at least in my experience.

PS, you live in Atlanta and it's 45 miles to the nearest dealer?!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It's luck of the draw. Has a lot to do with how it has been been handled and transported. This is true of most lump. I do feel that some is more consistent than others though. Example-Rockwood is usually good size pieces and of very high quality. Royal Oak falls at the other end of the spectrum in my experience. Here is some great advice, order a pallet of Rockwood. You will never look back my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• rosco
    rosco Posts: 48
    Options
  • SGH
    Options

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• rosco
    Options
    Shoot, I live in California.
  • SGH
    Options
    rosco said:
    Stand by.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    rosco said:
    Oops. I just saw that Cali won't allow it to be shipped there. 

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    @SGH brother let me save you some time. I'm pretty sure that @stlcharcoal has said that Rockwood doesn't sell in CA due to the warning lables that would need to be printed on the bags sold there. Apparently the cost wasn't worth the effort. 

I I may have some of the details slightly incorrect but I believe the general premise is true. 
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    Haha delayed forum posts like you hear about. At least I tried brother. 
  • SGH
    Options
    @SGH brother let me save you some time. I'm pretty sure that @stlcharcoal has said that Rockwood doesn't sell in CA due to the warning lables that would need to be printed on the bags sold there. Apparently the cost wasn't worth the effort. 

I I may have some of the details slightly incorrect but I believe the general premise is true. 
    You are correct my friend. As soon as went to Rockwoods site I saw the Cali info. 

Status- Standing by.

• rosco
    Options

The only brands of lump I've seen here are BGE and RO. I thought that I read somewhere that BGE is just RO's premium brand with a different blend of hard woods.

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    BGE is no better than RO in any way. But it is always more expensive. 
  • SGH
    Options
    rosco said:

The only brands of lump I've seen here are BGE and RO. I thought that I read somewhere that BGE is just RO's premium brand with a different blend of hard woods.

I can't speak for your location, but down here, the BGE lump is usually much cleaner and larger pieces than the RO. I don't know if that will justify the extra cost to you or not, but given the choice between the two I liked the BGE lump much better than the RO. 

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    Wow that's fascinating SGH. I've never seen a difference at all, and a few of us actually split a few bags of both open to compare. Then again I'm pretty sure us fine folks up here in New England aren't high on the priority list for the larger charcoal suppliers. 
  • rosco
    Options
    SGH said:
    rosco said:

I can't speak for your location, but down here, the BGE lump is usually much cleaner and larger pieces than the RO. I don't know if that will justify the extra cost to you or not, but given the choice between the two I liked the BGE lump much better than the RO. 

I agree with you and I have never found little bits of concrete in bags of BGE but, in my opinion, the price difference is greater than the quality difference.

• SGH
    Options
    Wow that's fascinating SGH. I've never seen a difference at all, and a few of us actually split a few bags of both open to compare. 
    Again, I'm sure it's different location to location. Has a lot to do with how many times it's handled, trucked, loaded and unloaded. There are probably places that the RO is better than the BGE. But again, down my way on the coast the BGE is usually the better choice of the two. I'm not fond of either myself. 

Status- Standing by.

• NoobZero
    NoobZero Posts: 177
    Options
    I have better luck with Home Depot's RO. 17.7 lb bags, $12 and change. Larger pieces, at least in my experience.

Yep, I live on the south side, the best local dealer I've found is on the north side.
    Atlanta GA. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Pretty much.....more the cost to keep an environmental attorney on retainer to make sure the language, placement, and insurance is up to date.  Then the cost to fabricate a special set of printing plates, warehouse the empty CA bags, warehouse the filled CA bags, etc. all to avoid getting sued.  Much easier to let someone else have that territory.  Works just fine for a lot of other companies, but sucks for the consumer--which your state government and special interest group claim to be "protecting".
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    rosco said:
    SGH said:
    rosco said:

I agree with you and I have never found little bits of concrete in bags of BGE but, in my opinion, the price difference is greater than the quality difference.

@rosco,

Try a larger bag of RO at Home Depot and see if the pieces are bigger.  Try doing an internet search for lump charcoal.  Amazon might have some deals.  This came up when I did a search for San Diego, CA.  
    http://charcoalandmore.com/lump-charcoal/ozark-oak-lump-charcoal
    Ozark Oak is good stuff too if you can get it sent to you.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    NoobZero said:

Yep, I live on the south side, the best local dealer I've found is on the north side.
    Get to your local ACE STAT!  Grab a bag rockwood and never look back. 

PS call to make sure it's in stock. If not, tell them to order you a bag and call when it comes in on the next truck. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Also Walmart may get some of the big bags in for Memorial day. Last year I am pretty sure they had them for $8 for the 17.7 lb bag

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    Just talked to my local Ace and they can order it for delivery to the store for $25.99 per bag. @SmokeyPitt... if Walmart does carry Rockwood around Memorial Day at that price, I'll buy a big supply of it for sure!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just talked to my local Ace and they can order it for delivery to the store for $25.99 per bag. @SmokeyPitt... if Walmart does carry Rockwood around Memorial Day at that price, I'll buy a big supply of it for sure!
    Sorry for the confusion- they have the big bag of Royal Oak at that price.  I haven't tried Rockwood but have heard it is far superior.  For less than 50 cents a lb though I stock up on RO when WallyWorld has it for that price. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jerald
    Jerald Posts: 46
    Options
    I have a ton of luck - With beer varieties, food brands, etc., by simply talking to the general manager of the location.  Ask him to help you get what you want.  You may be surprised.
    Bub - Flower Mound, Texas.  

• Jerald
    Jerald Posts: 46
    Options
    ...and as far as the RO at Home Depot discussion goes, I am satisfied.  I am certain there is much better out there, but I like the flavor, consistency and variable sizes.
    Bub - Flower Mound, Texas.  

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
     I buy RO @ Home Depot all the time 17 LB Bags 12 and some change, once in a while under 10...winter months the lump size seems to fall, may last 3 bags from a couple weeks back, All  Spot On.....As a whole, I like it, none of the issues I read about ...consistence and good enough for me
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Rockwood seems to not smoke as much, has bigger pieces, lights easier and is a more neutral flavor, IMO.  It cost usually about $20+tax for a 20 lb bag.  If you are doing pizza's Rockwood is a better choice to me, but if your doing a pork butt it, ribs or any low and slow it is fine.  I have easy access to Rockwood so that's what I use.  My dealer gets by the pallet from @stlcharcoal.  If you try it will be hard to go back to RO.  It has been for me.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • danmac
    danmac Posts: 30
    Options
    RO large bag from Home Depot is $12.97 in my area and I find it to have plenty of large pieces .

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options

@NoobZero - I'm on the South Side as well...  over in Henry Co off I-75 and Hudson Bridge.  What's your 20?  There's lots of places around down here that have good lump.

In no particular order, in distance to me.....  McDonough Ace off of 20/81 on the west side of McDonough; bonus score since T&T Meats is just outside the square heading towards Ace HW.  Griffin Ace HW, Jackson Heating and Cooling - Ms. Joan runs the place and she has coal there.  I'm sure there's an Ace in Fayetteville.  Southern Lawn Designs in Senoia off of 74/16 just south of Senoia (Zombies......  RUN!!!!) has both BGE and a "new-to-me" lump, Carbon Del Sur.  I like it just about as much as Rockwood, (no offense @STLcharcoal!)

In a pinch, and if you are near me, I'll grab a back of Rockwood from the places up by my office in Sandy Springs....  Ace on Roswell Rd inside 285 or Roswell Hardware in Roswell.  There's a couple of Ace's in Atlanta near the Krispy Kreme that I've bought from as well.

Please, if you need anything, let me know.  I'll be glad to help.  If you need to get in touch with some of these fine folks, I can help you there as well!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Size of the pieces is very dependent on how the bag was handled. The RO with the largest pieces that I have gotten was a 8.8 lb bag from Target. I recently got two bags of Rockwood - one had nice large pieces just like its reputation, the other was all small and medium pieces. I assume that the bag fell out of the back of the truck.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.