Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella win, but still missing socarrat (pic)

Options
Turning into a veteran on the Paella. For some reason though, still can't figure out the socarrat. Per wikipedia,

"After cooking paella, there is usually a layer of toasted rice at the bottom of the pan, called socarrat in Spain. This is considered a delicacy among Spaniards and is essential to a good paella. The toasted rice develops on its own if the paella is cooked over a burner or open fire. If cooked in an oven, however, it will not. To correct this, place the paellera over a high flame while listening to the rice toast at the bottom of the pan. Once the aroma of toasted rice wafts upwards, remove it from the heat. The paella must then sit for about five minutes (most recipes recommend the paella be covered with a tea-towel at this point) to absorb the remaining broth."

So I guess this means cranking it up to 500 degrees and toasting the rice at the end? Let me know if anyone has figured this out. Thanks!

Comments

• rosco
    rosco Posts: 48
    Options
    Cook it closer to the coals and do not stir it. That looks fantastik by the way.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Great looking paella!! My family loves paella and we cook it often.

I'm not sure of your setup, but traditional paella is cooked over an open fire. I cook mine as if I were grilling direct. The pan sits on the grilling grate and directly over the coals. I cook at approx 400F dome temp as a fire that is too hot will result in burnt socarrat. The socarrat results are very good cooking at 400F. I always let everyone dig in before me so that I can have extra of the crusty goodness. 

On another note, it looks like your pan is carbon steel? I have several sizes of pans, depending on the number of people, in both carbon steel and stainless steel. In my experience, I get better socarrat in the stainless pans. The carbon steel pans seem to burn the bottom rather than make them crusty. 

Here's one I did yesterday. I was cooking for 6 adults and 2 children. The pan is 15" SS. 

Hope this info helps! 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Looks amazing 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    That looks amazing.  I'm going to have to get one of those pans and try one myself.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i believe its because we as americans put too much in the pan, my great grandmother was from the azores and it was a very thin dish compared to what i see here
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TnJed
    TnJed Posts: 118
    Options
    That's awesome!
    “All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/ 
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Options
    Damn that looks good dude!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I have to learn how to do this.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It looks so good. I have never eaten it let alone cook it. I would love to try both. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I have to learn how to do this.
    Me 2. It looks intimidating but Im sure with practice it not too bad. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    @EggyLoew - lookin great!  Is that picture your finished Paella?  If so, I'd simply let it run a little longer to develop more of the Socarrat.  It looks to me like there's still a little liquid around the edges (and thus probably bottom) of your pan.

I do my Paella as per the Naked Whiz directions, essentially you build your fire - and set up your egg to run around 400.  Once you've reached temp and you're ready to cook, close the bottom vent, add your pan, and start cooking. 

The Egg lid is open for almost the whole cook, so the airflow from the top of the egg is enough to keep the fire chugging along, without getting overblown.

The lid finally gets closed down after all ingredients are added back into the paella, and all you're trying to do is absorb the remaining liquid. 

Using that method, I've never had a trouble with a crispy-socarrat-y bottom... I actually have to keep a pretty close eye/ear on it to ensure i'm not burning anything up.

[Insert clever signature line here]