Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Having 2nd thoughts.

mjk412
mjk412 Posts: 113
I purchased my large bge about two
weeks ago. Cooked on it a few times. I'm just having trouble justifying that huge purchase. Part of me wants to sell it and just keep using my wsm and kettle. However, it's nice having one that can do it all. Anyway, just wanted to see if you guys faced this, and what was your turning point to not look back.  

Comments

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited May 2015

You should not sell it!

Donate it to your local Fire Department station.  They'll put it to good use.

Maybe you can claim it as a charitable donation.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Okay. Take a very deep breath. Tell us what you have cooked and what the experience has been. There is a tremendous amount of information and people with lots of tips. We need to know more. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    I can't say that I relate. I have more than one and I really enjoy them. Plus, should you choose to sell, you will more than likely regret that even more as you are sure to take a loss.

i would say give it time, as these things should outlast all of us... Well, unless something unfortunate happens! 

Hope your feelings change.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    ^^ +1 Also have you mastered the vents yet to hold the temp? 
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    I was initially disappointed by the heavy smoke taste and complicated use(so I felt) I started reading some smokers are new to me I've been a gasser. I changed my lump brand started letting the Voc's burn off and now I have 2 and want to cook every meal on them. There are lots of great folks on here with a lot of knowledge hopefully they will chime in with better knowledge base to help you. I would suggest don't sell, take some time and get to know the ins and outs, just my opinion but I wish you the best of luck
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • mjk412
    Temp control is no problem. I've cooked ribs (amazing), burgers, chicken, and pizza. It's just the cost. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Yes..I had a bit of remorse even though I kept telling people it was the best (especially my wife) My first burger I egged for her I used Cowboy lump and didn't let the VOC's burn off. Needless to say, she wasn't impressed. 

After making such a huge purchase and hearing about how great the egg was, I knew I must be doing something wrong. So I embraced it and started having fun learning.  I spent several hours/days on the forum reading and learning. My outdoor cooking skills went from run of the mill hamburgers and hotdogs to great burgers, stuffed pork loins, ribs, turkeys, pork butts, and more. 

Eventhough I had buyers remorse, this thing has changed my life as far as food goes. 

Keep it, Keep it, Keep it!!!
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Give it 6 months.  At this point it's worth just as much as it will be in 6 months 2nd hand so you might as well put it to good use and learn what you can before losing out selling it
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    @mjl412 ... I get the costs ... dang, everything seems to be a hundred dollars. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • mjk412
    Stemc33,
    thats funny because my wife is not impressed either. I told her I want to make meatloaf on the egg. And she started grumbling about it. Haha. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    +1 with what @Jstroke said. @mjk412 what are your expectations of the egg?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    If I didn't think I could afford it, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. Besides, have you priced Weber gassers? They ain't cheap! http://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Grills-Grill-Accessories/Weber/N-5yc1vZbxazZ1ls

Plus, you have a lifetime warranty. You'll never have to buy another grill. How long will a gasser last?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mjk412
    True. You are right about that Carolina Q. 
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    If I didn't think I could afford it, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. Besides, have you priced Weber gassers? They ain't cheap! http://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Grills-Grill-Accessories/Weber/N-5yc1vZbxazZ1ls

Plus, you have a lifetime warranty. You'll never have to buy another grill. How long will a gasser last?
    I have a weber genesis. Has been lit one time since I bought the egg. And that was to keep potatoes warm while the steak cooked. $700 that just sits there and stores my egg stuff. Keep the Egg! 
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • mjk412
    stemc33 said:
    +1 with what @Jstroke said. @mjk412 what are your expectations of the egg?
    Expectations wise I just want to make good bbq, and do it with as little fuss as possible. 
  • Jstroke
    I will tell you how I made the decision. I could not cook on a kettle ---period. I burnt more food than I ever ate. I tried. I cooked all kinds of stuff. I hated that kettle like a bad sunburn. I traded it ti the junkman for a swingset for the kids. I wore out a few gassers and l promised myself I would get something that would last. I waited two years to buy my egg as a result. I would not buy another POS gasser and I didn't like the food enought to spend a grand on one that would last. So I kept hunting. I found the egg, saved, And the first few cooks Sucked. So back to the forum and research. And more trial and error. And now I will quote YOU. "It will do it all"--in style. So just like your wsm. Practice. Then cook two butts side by side. See which cooker uses more lump. Which one tastes better. Which one you have to futz with more. Then cook a steak on your wsm right after you finish your pork butt with the same lump you started with 14 hours ago. Then call me in ten years and tell me how good the webber warrenty is when you tell them it rusted out. If all of that is not enough of a reason then I will gladly admit it may not be the right cooker for you. 
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    @mjk412 what do you and your wife dislike about egged food and the egg in general (aside from the cost)? Do you find the food too smokey? Are you finding the food over or under cooked? 

If your only issue with it is the upfront cost, that pain will dull very soon, and you will absolutely change your mind the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd time you use the lifetime warranty. The amount of $$$ you just paid bought you one of the best cookers in the world for life.  Any issues you may have (they are few and far between... But time is a battle few things will win) and BGE will send out a replacement. Your money just bought you a damn fine ceramic cooker and a lifetime of peace of mind. 
  • mjk412
    Jstroke said:
    I will tell you how I made the decision. I could not cook on a kettle ---period. I burnt more food than I ever ate. I tried. I cooked all kinds of stuff. I hated that kettle like a bad sunburn. I traded it ti the junkman for a swingset for the kids. I wore out a few gassers and l promised myself I would get something that would last. I waited two years to buy my egg as a result. I would not buy another POS gasser and I didn't like the food enought to spend a grand on one that would last. So I kept hunting. I found the egg, saved, And the first few cooks Sucked. So back to the forum and research. And more trial and error. And now I will quote YOU. "It will do it all"--in style. So just like your wsm. Practice. Then cook two butts side by side. See which cooker uses more lump. Which one tastes better. Which one you have to futz with more. Then cook a steak on your wsm right after you finish your pork butt with the same lump you started with 14 hours ago. Then call me in ten years and tell me how good the webber warrenty is when you tell them it rusted out. If all of that is not enough of a reason then I will gladly admit it may not be the right cooker for you. 
    Thanks man!  You are right.  
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    edited May 2015
    Friends are shocked when I tell the the price I paid back in 2012, but then I frame it by discussing how much one would pay for a descent gasser, and then ask how long they'd expect to keep it before buying a new one. I then tell them I expect to cook on mine for another 50 years. Cost will work itself out, and that feeling should pass. But I understand where you're coming from. I won't tell you the coin I just shelled out to upgrade my home brewery.  :s
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • mjk412
    @mjk412 what do you and your wife dislike about egged food and the egg in general (aside from the cost)? Do you find the food too smokey? Are you finding the food over or under cooked? 

If your only issue with it is the upfront cost, that pain will dull very soon, and you will absolutely change your mind the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd time you use the lifetime warranty. The amount of $$$ you just paid bought you one of the best cookers in the world for life.  Any issues you may have (they are few and far between... But time is a battle few things will win) and BGE will send out a replacement. Your money just bought you a damn fine ceramic cooker and a lifetime of peace of mind. 
    So far it's just cost.  And your right I will get over it. I don't dislike anything. She just didn't like the food the Chicken I made on it. But that's part of the learning curve.  I love to cook so I won't give up. The chicken I made was boneless skinless. 
  • mjk412
    Food has been 50/50. 
    Ribs came out amazing. My wife hates ribs and she really likes these.
    burgers dry
    chicken boneless skinless dry.
    pizza good. 
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Cook her a spatchcock chicken. 
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    mjk412 said:
     It's just the cost. 
    Don't let the cost get to you. There is a wise and true statement that says: You get what you pay for. The egg will give you a lifetime of use and enjoyment. It is also about as a "all around" cooker that will find. Capacity is its only limitation. In the world of smokers, the price of the egg really isn't that bad. For a comparison, my unit #7 would cost you around 12,000 dollars give or take a little if you were to buy one. Unit #1 would cost you 3,250 without shipping. Unit #6 would kill the crap out of 5,000 dollars depending on what options you selected. I could keep going but I'm sure you get the point. From that perpestive, the egg is actually a bargain. Keep and enjoy your egg my friend. It's a great cooker. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I hate to say this but to dry out food on the egg is more difficult than one might think. Maybe wrong temp and time issue. The cooking vessel is ceramic and it is ultra efficient with air flow. These two factors alone give you exponentially more moisture than other cooking vessels. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Can't say that I felt that way the first egg and definitely not the second egg. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited May 2015
    if you are cooking chicken try a spatchcock bird. It'll blow your mind!

also here is a website that will help you figure out everything about BGE and ceramic cookers in general. It's a wealth of knowledge that helped me endlessly when I was starting out. 

www.nakedwhiz.com

now I realize that by me telling you that you should try cooking a spatchcock chicken and then directing you to the Naked Whiz website you may think I'm a horrible troll, but I'm not. We actually finally got rid of our resident troll this evening. ;)

check out out the above link and ask questions here if you have any. There are tons of folks around here that are more than willing to help you out. I've had my BGE for 3 years. now both me and my fiancée think it was one of the best purchases we've ever made. 

Welcome to the forums! Hang on to the egg, you won't be sorry. 
  • mjk412
    I hate to say this but to dry out food on the egg is more difficult than one might think. Maybe wrong temp and time issue. The cooking vessel is ceramic and it is ultra efficient with air flow. These two factors alone give you exponentially more moisture than other cooking vessels. 
    I cooked the burgers indirect at 500 or so dome temp. And the chicken I cooked at 350 dome temp. 
  • Jstroke
    First of all skinless breasr is a MF. it doesn't have any moisture to start with. Cook a couple in a pyrex or cast iron pan with some Bbq sauce or even some italian dressing in tne egg. Indirect with platesetter. Around 350 until it comes apart. On the side put some sliced onions and potatoes in afoil pouch with some newmans italian dressing. At last minute grill some asparagus little olive oil and kosher salt. Vent should be couple credit cards wide and no daisy wheel. 
  • mjk412
    Jstroke said:
    First of all skinless breasr is a MF. it doesn't have any moisture to start with. Cook a couple in a pyrex or cast iron pan with some Bbq sauce or even some italian dressing in tne egg. Indirect with platesetter. Around 350 until it comes apart. On the side put some sliced onions and potatoes in afoil pouch with some newmans italian dressing. At last minute grill some asparagus little olive oil and kosher salt. Vent should be couple credit cards wide and no daisy wheel. 
    Thanks for the tip!  I'll give that a try. Need to impress the wife.  Happy wife happy life.