Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

20 Lb Packer - Test Run - Advice Needed

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
edited May 2015 in Beef
Trying a 20 lb full packer as a test run for next weekend when I have to do a few of these.
This is 14 hrs in and it probes at 185 in some spots, 205 in other, probably fattier, spots. Seems hard to read the right time to FTC. Going to do burnt ends so will pull and remove the point and re-smoke the point. 
Any advice on when to pull etc would be helpful. It ran around 200 overnight but had dropped <200 by the morning. Raised the temp back up to 225 for the last couple hours. Just don't want to dry it out. 
Thanks. 
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• gmac
    Options
    Bump
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    With brisket it is all about the feel in the thickest part of the flat, temperature only gets you to start looking.  So, when you probe the thickest part of the flat and get no resistance, you are there.  And the point will run hotter but with all the fat content don't worry about the temps there. I don't do burnt ends so no help there.  
    Now, if you are planning to FTC of an extended duration you may be some carry over cooking so you can pull with a bit of resistance but going that road is a crap-shoot.  Now, if it is "probing like buttah" right now, then let it cool for around 15-20 mins on the counter before FTC.  That will minimize any carry-over cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gmac
    Options
    16 Hrs in. Probing 203 in the thickest flat probed horizontal. Not like "buttah" yet though so I will leave another 1/2 hr and then FTC. 
  • gmac
    Options
    Well, it's off and I pulled the point off with a fork. Happy so far. 
  • gmac
    Options
    Wow. One reply on a legitimate request for help. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    gmac said:
    Brother I just saw this. My apologies. I'm sure the original question doesn't still stand. With that said, can I help in any way? Again, I missed this somehow or I would have responded immediately.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited May 2015
    Options
    gmac said:
    Man if you ever need help and I'm not on the forum and no one answers your request, then text or call me. I will gladly answer. 228-627-5400. Name is Scottie. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• gmac
    Options
    Thanks SGH. I was just blown away that with all the activity on here that was all the help I got. No offence @lousubcap I followed your advice. 

I have FTC'd and will post some pics. I also have Cazzy's number but I didn't want to bother him on Mother's Day not knowing what his day looked like etc. 

I smoked the point another hour and all is in the cooler waiting the arrival of Mom. Really needed that advice on when to pull so thanks again Lousubcap. 

• gmac
    Options
    Thanks SGH. Really appreciate that. I've been egging for 5 years but an $80 chunk of meat is rare for me and I don't want to screw it up. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    gmac said:
    Thanks SGH. I was just blown away that with all the activity on here that was all the help I got. No offence @lousubcap I followed your advice. 

I have FTC'd and will post some pics. I also have Cazzy's number but I didn't want to bother him on Mother's Day not knowing what his day looked like etc. 

I smoked the point another hour and all is in the cooler waiting the arrival of Mom. Really needed that advice on when to pull so thanks again Lousubcap. 

Call anytime bruh.  The only day that was tough was last Saturday.  After breakfast, we've just been in the media room watching movies.

Hope it turned out well.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    edited May 2015
    Options
    gmac said:
    Brother you have a legitimate gripe above. Again I wish I would have seen it sooner. I try to answer all questions but due to work in not around as much as I use to be. For the future, I posted my number above. If you can not get a answer on the forum, text me. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    For the record, my Q help hotline is open 24/7.

Status- Standing by.

• gmac
    Options
    Thanks guys. This is what makes this forum worth the BS. If you ever want to know about corn, that's all I know. And yes, corn. 
  • SGH
    Options
    gmac said:
    Thanks guys. This is what makes this forum worth the BS. If you ever want to know about corn, that's all I know. And yes, corn. 
    I made a 55 gallon corn steamer. Have you ever saw one? 

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    Options
    gmac said:
    What's the quickest and most efficient way to get the corn off the cob?
  • gmac
    Options
    cazzy said:
    gmac said:
    Sweet corn...a knife. Dry dent corn...a combine. 
  • gmac
    Options

SGH said:
    gmac said:
    I made a 55 gallon corn steamer. Have you ever saw one? 
    No. I haven't. 
  • SGH
    Options
    cazzy said:
    If doing it by hand, a bundt pan. The absolute fastest way  is a mechanized stripper.  

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:
    cazzy said:
    If doing it by hand, a bundt pan. The absolute fastest way  is a mechanized stripper.  
    That's how I do it.  I need to be able to do 40 ears and want to see if I can speed it up.
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    I see you posted this under "beef" I wonder if that had anything to do with the fact that I just saw this post at 4:15. Given you title I would have clicked on it. (Not that I would have been much help) I would have told you to pull it at 190. That's where I pull all mine and all have been pretty awesome. Anyway,  back to the point.....again I did not see this post so wondering if a lot of others did not see it. Hope all turned out well! 
    Brandon, MS
  • SGH
    Options
    I did not see this post so wondering if a lot of others did not see it. 
    I did not see it either until he bumped it. I would have responded immediately had I seen it.

Status- Standing by.

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    I think it had something to do with posting it under beef instead of Egghead Forum. 
    Brandon, MS
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Well, I hope I didn't hose it up for you..regardless enjoy the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gmac
    edited May 2015
    Options
    OK. I went seriously wrong on the flat. Point was great but the bottom1/4 inch of the flat is dry and hard and it crumbles badly. Help! 
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    My advice... pull it at 190 next time 
    Brandon, MS
  • cazzy
    Options
    My advice... pull it at 190 next time 
    That wasn't the problem...the only brisket I've ever pulled at 190 was a SRF brisket.  The hardness is likely due to cooking too hot and he was likely over on the flat...which is why it is dry.  After you pull at 190...what do you do?  Wrap in foil?  If so, that would work, but there are other ways to do it properly without pulling it early.

@gmac Please list your step by step process of your cook.
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    You might thinking I'm joking but I have pulled every brisket that I have ever done at 188. Why 188? No idea! That's where I pulled it on the very first one and it was perfect. All of them have been spot on. I did a Gold SRF for Christmas and I pulled it at 185. Here is another crazy thing. I don't even prob them to check... I just pull them at 188 and FTC for 1 hour. That's just what I do and it works for me every time. :-)
    Brandon, MS
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Oh well. we came we saw, we got our a$$es kicked.  Every journey is a learning eggsperience.
  • gmac
    edited May 2015
    Options
    OK, here is the step by step in all the glorious detail.

I bought a 19.5 lb full packer from a local packer (Norpac).  The quality was "A or better" because I don't think they rate it as closely as the US system. 

Yesterday I trimmed it down to 1/4 inch of fat on the flat or more. I didn't want to over-trim and err'd on the side of fatty.  Pulled out a bit of fat from the deckle but didn't go crazy digging into the fat.  Figured I'd rather trim it off after slicing than before.  Rub was salt and pepper only.

Last night at 8 pm EDST, I put it on at 250 (by the dial thermometer - this is important to remember for later).  I had cooked pork chops earlier for supper and then tamped it down to get it closer to the desired temp.  I had filled the egg with Maple Leaf lump to the top of the fire ring (plate setter was right on top of the lump, probably touching) at 6:00 and put on two fist+ size lumps of apple wood at 8 pm on top of the charcoal.  I put the plate setter on, legs up and put my pizza stone on as well in the 6 O'clock position to cover the gap at that end because it was such a big piece of meat.

I checked it at 8:30pm and it was about 200.  I left it pretty much alone.  I checked at 10:00pm and it was down around 175 so I bumped it open a touch more.  At 10:30pm it was running 225. I went to bed and tried to get something from the wife but got shut down (you wanted step by step...).

At 1:30 am I woke up and went out and checked it and it was running 200 and I left it all alone.  

At 7:00 am I checked it and it was at about 170 or so. I bumped the temp up slightly.

At 8:30 am I checked it and it was back to 200 by the temp gauge I mentioned before.

You can see the posts above staring at about 10:09.  When I pulled the flat, I wrapped it in foil, a towel (it was blue) and put it in the cooler.  I left the point on for a couple hours as I mentioned and then pulled it and wrapped it in foil and then a Cheerios towel and a stripy one.  When I pulled off the point, there was already some flat stuck to the grill which was dry but very tasty and we ate it.  

So, here's what I think I did wrong.  I did a clean burn a while ago and I forgot to pull the thermometer and I wonder if I really screwed it up and need to either get a new one or re-calibrate it.  I don't have any sort of electronic monitoring beyond my thermopen (orange).  I am pretty comfortable with the accuracy of it and as I said, when I probed it at 185 it was NOT "buttah". Still some resistance but it was clearly done and dry on the thin edge (which I wasn't worried about because that was gonna go in the burnt ends anyway).

I'm not sure what other details I can provide so please ask if you have any questions.

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Was the dry part of the flat hanging over your indirect deflector getting direct heat.