Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rappie pie

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
9abeee0e.jpg
<p />made my own version of a rappie pie this weeken, a little salty but still good. simmered some ham in the chicken stock until i could shredd it. chourice sausage, smoked chicken, bacon, saltpork. squeeze the juice and starch out of the grated potatoe and add just a little more of the chicken stock in than the juice you remove. layer and cook inderect at 350 for 3 hours until the edges get crisped up. the crispy edges are the best part
19738f96.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]I like the looks of it. Do you think the saltpork is responsible for the extra salt or was it the ham?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    Options
    thirdeye,
    after making the chicken stock i simmered the ham in it before adding it to the potatoes. next time ill simmer it in some stock that doesnt go into the potatoes. dont know how much salt from the saltpork gets into the dish, but i fried it first with the bacon and used the greese on the baking dish. maybe a little less bacon and saltpork, boil the ham in stock other than what goes in the pie and flavor the stock with just a smoked pork bone. overall everyone liked it.

fukahwee maine

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Smoked bones are really a nice touch in stocks and stews.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Can't say this one is a good photo oportunity but it has all the right stuff!
    Do you use a food processor to shred the taters? You may have strted me up again on the potato madness.

• fishlessman
    Options
    Charbon,
    i have one of those but never seem to get it out. i used one of those cowbell shaped hand graters, they work fast enough and are easy to clean.

fukahwee maine