Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Electrical Short... LUCKY DAY!

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
So we were planning to head to church this morning for Mother's Day but my stepdaughter slept in. That was some very good fortune for our family. 

I got up early and started putting some smoked Scotch eggs together for my lovely wife for her Mother's Day breakfast. We were feeding our 16 month old in his highchair and I thought I started to smell something getting hot. I checked all around the house and couldn't find anything. My wife had sprayed the kitchen sink with a bleach based cleaner so I ruled that as the cause. The smell seemed to dissipate and a couple of hours went by. 

During this time, we ate breakfast and put the little one down for his morning nap. My wife was getting ready to take the kids on a bike ride and I was outside getting the eggs ready for the Mother's Day afternoon cook when I heard a very strange (and loud) buzzing sound from inside the house. I came in and found smoke rolling out around our dishwasher. I ran to the garage and flipped all the kitchen breakers while she called 911.

It turns out that the previous owners of our home had an "instant-hot" water heater mounted under the sink and it was connected with an extension cord! Not sure how that one got by me or the housing inspector when we bought the house. There was all kinds of SH*% under the kitchen sink and I started pulling it out and throwing it in the trash can to see if I could find the cause of the smoke while she got the kids out of the house. Luckily none of that stuff started on fire. My wife had a bunch of plant fertilizer for her gardening habit stored under there so things could have happened very fast. 

We got VERY lucky! Thankfully we were home and awake when this happened. The local FD checked everything out and said we are safe now. We have all the windows open to air out the house and the "instant-hot" is now removed and thrown in the trash. 

We are now ready to a few beers, a rack of pork, and a turkey breast WITH THE RIGHT KIND OF SMOKE!

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Wow that's scary. You weren't needed at church this morning, there was a reason your stepdaughter slept in.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Scary for sure.  Glad to hear everyone is OK, and able to now enjoy some great mother's day eats.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I'm sure glad to hear that everything worked out ok.  

That scotch egg looks really good.
    Phoenix 
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    Glad y'all are safe!!!  Whew!!

great cook also
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Glad you're safe!
    What a dumb idea that was on the part of the last owners!!

We've had a gas-fired tankless water heater mounted outside and just love it.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

It is your lucky day indeed. Glad to hear everyone is OK.

And the scotch eggs look great.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Close one ... glad you were home.

Your stepdaughter will probably use the "remember when my sleeping in saved the day?" excuse to get out of lots of things in the future.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Congrats..  a bullet dodged..  Well handled too 
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Truly scary stuff..Thank goodness all's well...Also well handled.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Nice bounce back. Glad everyone is safe and sound
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm thankful that it worked out the way it did. We ended up having a very nice evening with the in-laws.

The only downfall from the incident is that now my wife is trying to use this as leverage to do the kitchen remodel. I keep trying to explain to her that it was due to an EXTENSION CORD not anything faulty in our home!

Anyway, here's a couple of pics of the precook. No post cook photos unfortunately.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Glad all is well now... Whew..... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I am glad everyone is ok. That was a close one. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's