Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

permit to introduce my 62 day dry aged rib eye

Options
2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options

Aussie said:

Also, as I know you are the unpaid expert and spokesmodel for these bags, two questions for you. Can you get these in Canada?  Has anyone used these for drying charcuterie?  I am gonna try some prosciutto but my beer cooler seems too moist for this and would the bags work for removing moisture from the meat or cured sausages?

Thanks. 
    G'day, there is a kickstarter  program for Umai dry aged meat system happening, for those that are patient and want to save a couple of bucks.
    Or you can go to there website pick which system/style ofmeat you wish to make , and they will post. Hope this helps. 
    BTW they blew through their Kickstarter goal of $10,000 last week. I see as of now they are at $12,303 and there are several days to go. Climb aboard!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    edited May 2015
    Options

cook861 said:
    Looks great  Ron  how are you going to cook them and at what temp 
    I just went 2/2 and 2/2 at 500º with kosher salt and pepper. Dry aged steaks cook faster. We shared this 1.1 pounder and it was delicious! Well worth the 62 day wait - plus we have more steaks in the freezer!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    Looks great Ron - very cool!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    That looks AWESOME.  Thanks for the write-up and pics.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Drooling over here
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Very nice Ron!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother that steak looks great from where I'm sitting. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Hmmm, I was just reading their kickstarter campaign a few days ago and was planning in asking about it in here today.  I'm very intrigued. 
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Aussie
    Aussie Posts: 75
    Options
    RRP said:

BTW they blew through their Kickstarter goal of $10,000 last week. I see as of now they are at $12,303 and there are several days to go. Climb aboard!!!

I did sign up for the kickstarter offer, but after discovering that the goods were available through their website, placed my order there, and the kit is already one the way. The thought of waiting months for the kit to turn up through kickstarter and by the nature of the product have to wait two more months for the finished product, didn't appeal.
    Its fantastic that the kickstarter program is going strong.
    Thanks for sharing about the kit, I would have never found out about it otherwise. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Was going to ask (apologize if covered elsewhere in the strings) but how did you control the temperature and humidity for the ageing process.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Wow.  That looks great Ron!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    refrigerator I believe.  From the site:  

WHAT ARE THE TEMPERATURE REQUIREMENTS FOR DRY AGING WITH UMAI DRY® TECHNOLOGY?

Dry age at temperature between 34-38F. Typical household refrigerators and restaurant coolers are designed to protect food items like fruits, vegetables, fish and meats from spoilage without freezing them. Please make sure that your refrigerator maintains temperature between 34-38 F to ensure proper aging and prevent spoilage. Ensure that the UMAi Dry® material is in contact with the beef and there are no air pockets inside the bag. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • RRP
    Options
    4Runner said:
    refrigerator I believe.  From the site:  

WHAT ARE THE TEMPERATURE REQUIREMENTS FOR DRY AGING WITH UMAI DRY® TECHNOLOGY?

Dry age at temperature between 34-38F. Typical household refrigerators and restaurant coolers are designed to protect food items like fruits, vegetables, fish and meats from spoilage without freezing them. Please make sure that your refrigerator maintains temperature between 34-38 F to ensure proper aging and prevent spoilage. Ensure that the UMAi Dry® material is in contact with the beef and there are no air pockets inside the bag. 
    Thank you @4Runner - The other thing that we point out is one of those small dormitory refrigerators will NOT work, nor will a keg-a-rater type units. The unit needs to circulate air and to remove moisture from the air that the meat is giving up in the dry aging process.

BTW their Kickstarter has now gone over $15k. Not bad for a modest $10k goal, huh?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    would gladly take home the trimmings from that =)  was looking at a choice cut primal this week unaged for 8.50 and somehow they cut it into a ribeye steak and were charging 13.99 a pound unaged
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    @RRP - just watched the video where a guy takes a huge 20 plus ## rib roast and seals it in a dry bag and then pulls it out 35 days later and trims.   Now, he trimmed off all the dark waxy outside.   I believe you just cut your strip into steaks and left the outside as is.....is that correct?
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • RRP
    Options
    I never understand why people don't realize the savings they can easily achieve by buying a full sub primal and steak it out themselves - even unaged. Guess they see a $150+ price tag and their mind locks down!
  • RRP
    edited May 2015
    Options
    4Runner said:
    @RRP - just watched the video where a guy takes a huge 20 plus ## rib roast and seals it in a dry bag and then pulls it out 35 days later and trims.   Now, he trimmed off all the dark waxy outside.   I believe you just cut your strip into steaks and left the outside as is.....is that correct?
    Me? To a certain extent I leave that hard dark brown on the rind. It mellows with the hot fire and the fat turns deliciously buttery! That part is an acquired taste and you may not like it. As for trimming back to "grocery store red" as I call it that is just plain silly! You go to all the effort to dry age the meat and then trim the best part off! I believe the reason is to the uninformed they turn up their noses in the misbelief that the dark meat is spoiled or something! To me this is beautiful!

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Looks great Ron, can you tell me the approximate coast for the materials to dry age my own steaks.  I love the idea of doing this    
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• RRP
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Looks great Ron, can you tell me the approximate coast for the materials to dry age my own steaks.  I love the idea of doing this    
    Here's the link:
    http://www.drybagsteak.com
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Thank you, I appreciate your help. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    @RRP
    I have never had the opportunity to have a true dry aged steak. I hear that the outer layer you spoke of to be an acquired taste. I want to buy these bags and do it but I am unsure about the taste I have heard about. Can you elaborate on what the taste is reminiscent of? 
  • RRP
    Options
    Let's backup a second. The reason you are dry aging is to let the meat give up the tasteless water in the cells. Also that and with the time period then the natural enzymes present in the meat continue to break down the fibers thus tenderizing it. The meat has a more concentrated beefy taste which is what you are wanting to achieve. Whether you like the taste of that tough exterior is a matter of choice. I like it but my wife doesn't. I will trim her steak to make her happy, but the meat itself is not tainted by that exterior. If you don't like it trim it off! 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options

Looks great RRP, but I didn't think UMA dry bags were really necissary in a clean refigerator. I've used the dry bags and also gone commando and have not noticed any difference so now don't use bag. The bags aren't that expensive, but I wouldn't advise people to rush out to buy a foodsaver just to try dry aging in my opinion. If you already have a foodsaver, the costs of the bags is negligble if you want the peace of mind from "nasty's", but not necissary. No disrespect intended, but I think I recall you endorse/affiliated to the manufacturer, (which is why I bought them on your advice), which is fine but folks should know they can try dry aging without buying bags/foodsaver. Just put a hunk of meat on a plastic (no metal) grate so it gets plenty of air. Just my opinion.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• RRP
    Options
    Raymont said:

Looks great RRP, but I didn't think UMA dry bags were really necissary in a clean refigerator. I've used the dry bags and also gone commando and have not noticed any difference so now don't use bag. The bags aren't that expensive, but I wouldn't advise people to rush out to buy a foodsaver just to try dry aging in my opinion. If you already have a foodsaver, the costs of the bags is negligble if you want the peace of mind from "nasty's", but not necissary. No disrespect intended, but I think I recall you endorse/affiliated to the manufacturer, (which is why I bought them on your advice), which is fine but folks should know they can try dry aging without buying bags/foodsaver. Just put a hunk of meat on a plastic (no metal) grate so it gets plenty of air. Just my opinion.

I have never hidden the fact that I am an unpaid moderator on the UMAi Dry® forum. I believe in their product and offered to be their moderator as I felt their web site needed a forum. Whether you go with their product or go commando really boils down to how your spouse feels about a piece of raw meat sitting in "her" refrigerator for several weeks on end! UMAi is not in the Food Saver business, but does offer a model that seems to work better than the more expensive FS models. It seems FS products are more and more common in homes so they suggest using one to draw a good vacuum, BUT they will also tell you no FS is even needed! Using a straw or tubing and a good set of lungs you can draw down a bag and then seal it with a bread twisty!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks good Ron.  I'm going to try my hand at dry aging.  So far it's been completely accidental.  My buddy is giving me a huge commercial SS refrigerator we salvaged from the Loyola university biology department.  Used to hold foreign soil samples.  Gonna wipe it down with some shop rags (got a lot of them around because we do animal rescue).  Might have to try the dry bags to keep the germs off.

Anyway, looks delicious!
    edited May 2015
    Options

Thanks @RRP for all you do for everyone on this forum with your professional opinions. I take them and talk to my wife like I am the expert. I am interested in your stat keeping log and what stats you keep and how you organize them. Thanks again for all you do.

Extra Large, Large, DigiQII, Thermapen, Adjustable Rig
  • Smokehouse33
    Smokehouse33 Posts: 185
    Options
    I agree with @mwatts! I'm looking forward to doing this one day. I appreciate all the knowledge @RRP!