Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's that time again.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Just a reminder to all. Its that time of the year that we are all enjoying the warm weather and getting out more and more doing things that we love to do. Keep in mind that we are not the only creatures starting to stir. Keep a close eye on your pets and children. I went to move Unit #6 from its slumber and there he was. A small eastern diamondback rattle snake. The scary part is, usually when you find a small snake, there is usually 2 larger ones in the near by vicinity plus the siblings. Enjoy the warm weather my friends, but please keep your family and pets safe. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Scary that it was a rattler. We had a warm day a few weeks ago and the snakes were out sunning. Seen a few bull snakes up on our hill. I absolutely hate and fear snakes. 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    They're pretty good if you use the plate setter and don't let them get too much over 180f.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Mthead7
    Mthead7 Posts: 20
    Options
    Ran into a rattler a couple weeks ago mountain biking. Just spit water on them, they don't like it. Put the bike between you and it first. ;-)
    Medium BGE. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    I thought you southern boys just look at them as a protein opportunity.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • stemc33
    Options
    Mthead7 said:
    Ran into a rattler a couple weeks ago mountain biking. Just spit water on them, they don't like it. Put the bike between you and it first. ;-)
    I'm not sure a bike can protect you from a snake. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    @SGH, do you ever cook 'em? @Fred19Flintstone got me thinking about it with his commit above. If so, can you cook any snake and how do you do it?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Yes you can...not sure how. I've had it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    No.  I'm from the civilized North.  We hit em with shovels and get rid of the evidence.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    @SGH, do you ever cook 'em? @Fred19Flintstone got me thinking about it with his commit above. If so, can you cook any snake and how do you do it?
    Brother stem, we use to cook rattlers. We would skin and gut them out and soak them in buttermilk for 12 hours and then deep fry them. They are actually pretty good this way. I have never grilled or smoked one. I honestly don't know what all snakes that you can cook. Snake is not really my forte.  But the buttermilk soaked deep fried rattlers is pretty good. Moccasins smell so bad that I wouldn't eat them if I was starving to death. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    That's good of you to put the warning out, SGH.  I found a little one in my wood pile last week here in AZ.  Man, I hate snakes.
    Phoenix 
  • SGH
    Options
    I thought you southern boys just look at them as a protein opportunity.  
    Rattler is about the only snake I would eat. Don't even fool with them anymore. Growing up, I ate my fair share of deep fried rattler though. My grandmother loved it. 

Status- Standing by.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Wow, that's scary

Options
    paqman said:
    Wow, that's scary
    I can not stand nor tolerate them. They will make me hurt myself! 

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    This is a friend of a friend. He never saw it. Crawled between his legs and over his right leg before he knew. I would have died right there. 

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=6e2148edd8a068ac&id=6E2148EDD8A068AC!2919&ithint=video,MP4&authkey=!ADYoPwXy5fs2veg

Little Rock, AR

• Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    i still have snow in my backyard :(

HFX NS
  • SGH
    Options
    This is a friend of a friend. He never saw it. Crawled between his legs and over his right leg before he knew. I would have died right there. 

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=6e2148edd8a068ac&id=6E2148EDD8A068AC!2919&ithint=video,MP4&authkey=!ADYoPwXy5fs2veg
    That is beyond belief!! That's what you call a close encounter of the worst kind!!

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Made me wanna throw up first time I saw it. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    Nsdexter said:

It was 88 in Dixie today. No snow in 45 years that I know of. 

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    edited May 2015
    Options
    That is some discipline there.  He'd make a good sniper
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    Made me wanna throw up first time I saw it. 
    Made my blood run cold. I would have died if that would have been me.

Status- Standing by.

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Last week there was a Gardner snake in our mailbox. Funny part was the Mrs. Got the mail that day...lol. Bet the house at the end of the block herd that scream.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    80's here, too. Getting pounded by storms now. Im sitting in rockin chair on front porch drinkin a beer and watching the lightning show. 

Little Rock, AR

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SGH said:

That is beyond belief!! That's what you call a close encounter of the worst kind!!
    you got that right. Lord knows what i would have done. I think I would have been bitten. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    80's here, too. Getting pounded by storms now. Im sitting in rockin chair on front porch drinkin a beer and watching the lightning show. 

I'm sitting by the pool watching the Lighting show vs. The Habs (Montreal Canadiens)
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    you got that right. Lord knows what i would have done. I think I would have been bitten. 
    Brother my heart would have gave out. I would have died right there on the spot. 

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    He was watching a turkey off to the left out of camera view. If you have volume up you can hear him gobbling. I still wanna puke when I see it. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    He was watching a turkey off to the left out of camera view. If you have volume up you can hear him gobbling. I still wanna puke when I see it. 
    Has he saw the video to know what happened?

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Oh yeah. I dont know him. He's a neighbors coworker, but from what I understood he saw it after is was crawling off. He flinches a little at the end. I would have jumped up that tree. I dont know if thats when he knew or not. 

Little Rock, AR

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    SGH said:
    stemc33 said:
    Brother stem, we use to cook rattlers. We would skin and gut them out and soak them in buttermilk for 12 hours and then deep fry them. They are actually pretty good this way. I have never grilled or smoked one. I honestly don't know what all snakes that you can cook. Snake is not really my forte.  But the buttermilk soaked deep fried rattlers is pretty good. Moccasins smell so bad that I wouldn't eat them if I was starving to death. 
    I've always been told you could batter a dog turd, deep fry it and it would be great!  Never been deep enough in the bottle to try it, but most things fried are not bad!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• Spydermunky
    Spydermunky Posts: 75
    Options
    SGH said:
    Nsdexter said:

It was 88 in Dixie today. No snow in 45 years that I know of. 
    I worked a military exercise at Camp Shelby in Hattiesburg a few years ago and it snowed.  It was hilarious watching southerners try to navigate a 1/2 inch of snow.
    Large Green Egg

Kansas City, KS