Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

permit to introduce my 62 day dry aged rib eye

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
Today was the day to remove my 18 pound rib eye sub primal placed in a UMAi Dry@ bag 62 days ago. It was a Choice that I bought at Sam's after "reading" the ends of many packages for signs of good marbling. As you will see I think I caught a good one! Once I starting steaking it out then once I'd get through the hard outer shell you'd think I was cutting butter it was so tender! First the cold hard facts:

I ended up with 9 steaks 1.5" weighing about 1 pound plus 6 sandwich steaks .5" that I actually pan fry and serve on a bed of buttered toast - an old favorite pre-Egg meal of ours.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Nasty looking.  Let's see the money shot!
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Outstanding Ron!!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Patiently waiting.....
    GWN
  • RRP
    Options
    4Runner said:
    check it again - I added the second picture
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    They look fantastic, when you cooking?
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • Grillinois
    Grillinois Posts: 165
    Options
    Wow!  Looks fantastic. 
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • RRP
    Options
    Gman2 said:
    They look fantastic, when you cooking?
    Later tonight - don't be late like you were last time! LOL
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Oh man!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    Those look absurdly good! Bravo RRP, bravo. I suppose it's too late to have you toss one of those in that Rutland package you just sent my way, huh?  ;)
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    RRP said:
    4Runner said:
    Oh yea.  That's what I'm talking about....awesome looking.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Ok. Someone enlighten me. How does aging meat not make for spoiled meat?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    RRP said:
    4Runner said:
    Now we're talkin'!!
    GWN
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That looks real good, Ron! But I thought the point of diminishing returns was 28 days, or was it 35? Sure wasn't 62! Any particular reason you aged it that long? I've never aged anything so what do I know? :i_dunno: 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Options
    That looks truly amazing. 
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother those are going to be insane!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Oh my
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • RRP
    Options
    That looks real good, Ron! But I thought the point of diminishing returns was 28 days, or was it 35? Sure wasn't 62! Any particular reason you aged it that long? I've never aged anything so what do I know? :i_dunno: 
    Michael, this was my 7th rib eye, though I have dry aged more strip loins and sir loins. I keep records and even my shortest rib eye of 28 days lost 19% of its untrimmed weight which was the same as my experience with 35, 45 and this 62 day. That 19% is tasteless water removed from the cells thus concebpntrsting the beefy taste. OTOH the other benefit is the natural tenderization as the enzymes in the meat break the fibers down. As for the idea of diminishing returns I do believe that is a monetary argument made on a business basis. That is, the longer the sub primal ages the harder and thicker the exterior gets. Then to meet consumers expectations the augers trim the meat back to what I call "grocery store red". While they trimming away the best part, just the same that layer is thinner meaning less loss to them hence dimishing returns when you go longer! All I know is this steak tonight is going to be fork cutting tender and I did it here at home for a fraction of the price of buying it elsewhere, let alone paying for dry aged beef at a good steakhouse.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Please tell me you're not trimming off that purdy crust Ron. :worried: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    Options
    Please tell me you're not trimming off that purdy crust Ron. :worried: 
    Only the faces meaning the two ends got a slight trimming and then those huge 2" LIP fat ends as I believe they are called get whacked back to be reasonable. Just salt and a grind of pepper on these puppies as I want the rich beefy taste to shine thru and speak for itself! No offense to Char Crust folks.
  • Smokehouse33
    Smokehouse33 Posts: 185
    Options
    Amazing!!! Buen Provecho!
  • RRP
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Ok. Someone enlighten me. How does aging meat not make for spoiled meat?
    No - not in a controlled environment. Even if exterior contamination occurred then unless the meat was punctured the interior is protected. BTW yes some people refer to dry aging as controlled rotting! BUT once you have been amazed by the heavenly naturally induced enzyme tenderization and ridding the meat of the tastseless water then you will be hooked! Trust me!
  • Auburn4Life
    Auburn4Life Posts: 20
    Options
    Nice looking steaks!
    Dallas, GA
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Ron, what is the untrimmed crust like when cooked?  I understand the idea of not removing as much as possible to reduce loss but is the crust all that edible?

Also, as I know you are the unpaid expert and spokesmodel for these bags, two questions for you. Can you get these in Canada?  Has anyone used these for drying charcuterie?  I am gonna try some prosciutto but my beer cooler seems too moist for this and would the bags work for removing moisture from the meat or cured sausages?

Thanks. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    stike would be so proud of your efforts.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Always impressed with what you bring to the table Ron. Well done.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Aussie
    Aussie Posts: 75
    Options

Also, as I know you are the unpaid expert and spokesmodel for these bags, two questions for you. Can you get these in Canada?  Has anyone used these for drying charcuterie?  I am gonna try some prosciutto but my beer cooler seems too moist for this and would the bags work for removing moisture from the meat or cured sausages?

Thanks. 
    G'day, there is a kickstarter  program for Umai dry aged meat system happening, for those that are patient and want to save a couple of bucks.
    Or you can go to there website pick which system/style ofmeat you wish to make , and they will post. Hope this helps. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Hey Ron, are you selling any of those? Nah, no way you would after all the work and waiting. Lookin awesome buddy. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Wow! I can't wait for the recap/review once they are done!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Looks great  Ron  how are you going to cook them and at what temp 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • RRP
    Options
    gmac said:
    Ron, what is the untrimmed crust like when cooked?  I understand the idea of not removing as much as possible to reduce loss but is the crust all that edible?

Thanks. 
    The untrimmed crust becomes mellow and the fat buttery. Canada? SURE! They ship all over the world! They have a great following and bag sizes for charcuterie. Take a look at their site or send me a PM.