Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on Beef Ribs?

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
Never cooked these before. I'm thinking 250 with some smoke. Season with some Cosmic Cow or Montreal maybe?

Any idea how long they'll take? All advice welcomed. 
L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Seem to be beef back ribs, whats leftover when boneless rib-eyes are cut out. Basically tender meat, and very tasty because of the fat. But can be a little tough because of the connective tissue. I try to compromise. 250 dome till the meat gets nice and brown, then boost to 350 for a short time to render out more fat. I usually go w. just S&P, and a little vinegary sauce like Stubb's original on the side.

My results have been somewhat greasy, but the meat is really good.
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Pull off membrane...rub.(I use DP Dizzy Dust)..raised indirect at 350* for about 1:45. I like to use a few apple chunks and will spray 50/50 apple cider vinegar/apple juice every 30 minutes.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Those do look like beef back ribs ... seven ribs #6 through #12 cut off right next to the backbone.  Depending upon the butcher, they may have some where between lots-of-meat and no-meat on the outside of the bone.  I prefer 250 degrees straight through with no peeking ... that means no spritzing, moisture in the drip pan, nor BBQ sauce at the end.  Our family prefers Penzey's "English Prime Rib Rub" or Oakridge "Black Ops Brisket Rub".  Pecan is my favorite go to for first cooks ... good smoke with less of a chance of overpowering the meat ... Oak is a more traditional smoke with beef.  Use a toothpick to check for when they're done and plan on about six (plus or minus one) hours to completion.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Every time I smoke beef ribs its 225-250 with 0 peeking till the 4 hour mark and i check for tenderness. Just poke it with my thermometer and see how she slides in. As everyone says around here "like buttah" its done, if not wait an hour or so and check again. I use my brisket rub and a little worcestershire sauce before I rub it.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    i coat with white sugar and wrap in syran for an hour or two in fridge, remove syran and wipe off sugar then a heavey coat of a pepper rub like lysanders spicey bourbon. 235 for 5 -8 hours til the probe slides in. i dont bother removing the membrane on beef ribs, thats stuck on those like tree bark. the most important part with beef ribs is when your in the store, meaty are good. shiners, showing bones are no good

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it