Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket opinion

This is my first packer. 8.5 lbs after trimming. I put it on at 4:30 am at 220.  Put a probe in at 9 to see where it was and it was @ 164. Now at 10 it's at 170. Probe is in the middle of the flat. Should I pull and wrap it or leave it be since it seems to be getting past the stall by itself? Will it get dry if it's not wrapped?
Medium BGE. 

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I say leave it, I put a 14Lb on last night at 10 and just pulled it at noon. I cooked at 250 at the grid. My stall lasted about 4 hours or so.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    I just finished my first brisket this morning so I'll trust other more experienced cook's advice than mine.

My original plan was to just let it ride w/o wrapping to 195 to 200.  But, my grate temp dropped to 199 at 4am while the meat temp was at 151. So I had to do a bunch of adjustments. At 6am, the grate temp jumped to 300 while the meat temp was at 172.  Plans change.  I quickly wrapped it in double foil and poured in a beer and went back to sleep...

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Wrap it with a cup of water and let it go to 195-205 and see if it is tender. I have a remote Temp gauge that lets me know what it is doing.
  • Mthead7
    Mthead7 Posts: 20
    Thanks for the feedback. I've got 5 hours before my goal finish. I'm definitely in the stall now. I think I will let it go for a couple more hours and see what it does. Maybe then I'll wrap it. 
    Medium BGE. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,099
    As long as you've got time, ride it out. 
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Well... How did it go?

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Mthead7
    Good reviews! 
    Medium BGE. 
  • Mthead7
    Here was the start. 
    Medium BGE. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Looks like a winner to me brother. Excellent job :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mthead7
    I'm using a medium BGE. 7-8 hours in my pit temp says its stable at 220 but my meat temp is dropping. Got down from 170 to 154. So I decide to pull it and wrap it and also check my fuel. There was still some charcoal that was good but it seemed that it was dieing anyway.  So I added more fuel and set the temp to 240. An hour and a half later my meat temp is at 198. I pulled it and left it wrapped. Put it in a cooler till I was ready to carve. 
    Medium BGE. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited May 2015
    I'm no expert but I have seen drops in the meat temperature before during a stall but not more then a couple degrees. 16 degree drop is pretty steep to me. Final product looks fantastic though! Nicely Done!!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mthead7
    Yeah. It was weird. I have had the MBGE for about 5 weeks now. I have done a pork butt, brisket flat, pork ribs, pizzas a few times and now the packer. I have the digi bbq guru but all the slow and low cooks have had frustrating temp changes. Mostly things seem stable and the moment I relax and not worry about it I see a temp spiKe. The temp drop in the meat this time was not totally unexpected as I figured a 12 hour cook might stretch the limits of a medium BGE as far as fuel goes. Maybe other medium owners can tell me otherwise?
    Medium BGE. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    @Mthead7 what brand of charcoal were you using? I have gone 18hrs in my medium with wicked good.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,081
    @Mthead7- Any landing you walk away from is a good one.  Looks like a winner to me.
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Strong out of the gate.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    edited May 2015
    I just want to chime in and say bravo on the Sculpin
  • Mthead7
     @BYS1981 I'm using BGE lump.  @stompbox grapefruit sculpin is the best beer on the planet imo.
    Medium BGE.