Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Sometimes Royal OaK Surprises You OT

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
Going to save this hunk until I can bury it in a new load.  It is even bigger than it looks in the photo because it is a knot and has some depth.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Damn! That looks like fogo!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    NO offense Doc, but I guess I may never understand why some eggers like those big chunks. When I get them I think "ah sh*t" another for my break up bag. I keep collecting them and then when bored I use this strainer I made of 1/2" hardware cloth and then break them with a large hammer. BTW that bucket is an old style coal bucket which is perfect for easing lump into a BGE. No it is NOT an antique - I bought it new!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    RRP said:
    NO offense Doc, but I guess I may never understand why some eggers like those big chunks. When I get them I think "ah sh*t" another for my break up bag. I keep collecting them and then when bored I use this strainer I made of 1/2" hardware cloth and then break them with a large hammer. BTW that bucket is an old style coal bucket which is perfect for easing lump into a BGE. No it is NOT an antique - I bought it new!

I break them up.  too big chunks actually cause cool spots.  This one it tough, not completely charred.  I am going to set it aside for a low and slow.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    RRP said:
    ... No it is NOT an antique - I bought it new! ...
    Interesting argument ... not proof positive, but still interesting!!!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    Options
    RRP said:
    My thoughts exactly.  Although the "bought" it might hint at age.  Especially since I'm pretty sure Ron was alive before the concept of "money" existed.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Gotcha...antique in design due to functionality, but "new" due to manufacture. I had looked for a couple years at IL Antique Center which may or may have not been open during your passes in and out of P-Town. Some one suggested that I check Kelly Feed and Hardware since at that time Harold Church was still alive and very active in ordering "practical" items "any good" mom and pop hardware store ought to carry. Well...I walked in and a friendly clerk greeted me. I said "this is a real long shot, but I'm looking for a thing called a coal bucket." Her reply?  - right over here!!! They had 5 of them!!!

• otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Just tried my first burn w Royal Oak, nice and clean fire. Didn't see big chunks like that....
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    That is a monster chunk, good idea to keep it for longer cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @Doc_Eggerton at first I thought there was a Thermopen in the lump!  That would increase sales for sure.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Went to Home Depot today and they had palets of RO at $12.97 for 17.6 lb bags.  Almost got a bag, but still have a bag of RW to burn.  Been spoiled with RW and hate tO change,  but I do like to try new stuff!  At that price it isn't much cheaper than RW!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    @Doc_Eggerton at first I thought there was a Thermopen in the lump!  That would increase sales for sure.
    LOL

• Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    I once got 2 fist sized chunks of concrete plus a 4 inch round steel plate in one bag.  Not as lucky I guess.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I've had some big chunks and also some rocks in the royal oak. But it's the only lump available local. So that is what I use. Haven't got around to ordering other lump on the internet.  When I do order online is Rockwood the safe bet?
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    jabam said:
    I've had some big chunks and also some rocks in the royal oak. But it's the only lump available local. So that is what I use. Haven't got around to ordering other lump on the internet.  When I do order online is Rockwood the safe bet?
    RW is where its at.  Highly recommended.
  • LKNEgg
    Options
    @jabam  RW is the way to go!  Long burn, clean, low ash.  Order from firecraft,  5 bags so I get free shipping!  Already burned it all and had to buy a bag at the local ace.

When Ace has coupons it is the same price as ordering, so I will support the local business.  Otherwise Firecraft has it going on with price and free shipping!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    It's the Pappy Van Winkle of lump. 
  • jabam
    Options
    Ok I'll bite the bullet. We don't have an ACE hardware so will have to do online. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • LKNEgg
    Options
    @jabam  what do you have to lose?  5 bags, 100 lbs of great food and fun!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    @RRP .. I saw the same coal bucket online at home Depot .. costs $20, but very cool looking http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Coal-Bucket-T05B/204399660

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    @DoubleEgger- I am lucky enough to have both in house and while RW is very good there are others that will perform quite well.  And I have to admit that I can separate the bourbons much easier than the lump charcoal.  But it's a Friday night and I am running in LEO (Low Earth Orbit) so there will not be any qualitative pearls of wisdom here :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @lousubcap - much like pappy, RW is not the only good lump out there but it is widely regarded as the Gold Standard especially considering Ozark Oak was bought out. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    LKNEgg said:
    @jabam  what do you have to lose?  5 bags, 100 lbs of great food and fun!
    You just have to spend $100 to get free shipping. Doesn't all have to be RW. 
  • jabam
    Options
    Ok. Never been on firecraft site I will check it out!
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Firecraft has been good to me. RW also has been good to me.
  • RRP
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    @RRP .. I saw the same coal bucket online at home Depot .. costs $20, but very cool looking http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Coal-Bucket-T05B/204399660

Thanks for noting and not mocking me, but once someone uses that style bucket they will be hooked on the ease of loading their egg! Why grab a 10 or 20 pound bag and try to dump it? When the snout on this PROVEN AGE OLD design works so well to shake & slide the lump in!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Mocking?  Who mocked you?  Don't let @Jeepster47 get to you.  He remembers buggy whip makers.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac ... Actually, I never used a coal bucket ... but, when I was dating your mother, my job was to fill the coal stoker before heading home.  That was high class technology then.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DoubleEgger
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'd like to consider myself young. I used that bucket regularly during the winter to dump ash from the fireplace. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @RRP, not mocking you, but you have way too much time on your hands if your breaking lump with a hammer. FWIW, a small camp hatchet might work better. 

As far as the coal hod, you sound like a 15 year old kid calling your hod an antique. That's how I load my coal stove with pea coal instead of lump coal(fossil fuel). Also, use it to get my coal into the house from the coal box on the porch. 

Never thought about using one for loading lump into the egg. I might have to buy a new one for that purpose. Don't want to use the current one due to fossil coal dust getting into the egg. I was like you and it took a little shopping before I found one. I first got the idea at a garage sale but the lady wouldn't sale me hers. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Just to be clear, I am perfectly happy with RO.  Cowboy on the other hand is crap.