Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CGS Indirect or Plate Setter

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,026
Without telling too much of the story I'll post in a few days but have a question first. Spider and stone or plate setter?  I'm going to throw a bone into the mix.  I can get a free new plate setter.  How do you guys like the spider and stone for indirect?  I have a spider for my large egg but I use it for the wok and searing.  I don't use for indirect as I have a plate setter.  Not necessarily looking for the whole adjustable rig but just the indirect setup on a different egg.  Can you guys tell me why you went stone/spider over the plate setter?  Thanks!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• SmokinOutBack
    SmokinOutBack Posts: 311
    Options
    I bought the plate setter when I bought my large, cause I didn't know better. After I received my AR, haven't used the plate setter since, no need to.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • SmokinOutBack
    SmokinOutBack Posts: 311
    Options
    On 2nd thought, I may have used it when I did some pizzas.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I bought the plate setter when I bought my large, cause I didn't know better. After I received my AR, haven't used the plate setter since, no need to.
    @SmokinOutBack But why is it better?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I have and use both depending on what I'm cooking. IMO, take the free platesetter. If you don't like it, cut the feet off of it and use it in a CGS product. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Here's what I have in one of my large eggs (the second large has a complete AR rig with an extender):

- Plate setter
    - PSWoo
    - Spider ... and an indirect stone to go with it
    - Weber 13" grill
    - Extender w/ 16" D-grill

With this set up I can cook direct, raised indirect/direct, and up-in-the-dome raised indirect/direct.  With this set of components, I've traded some versatility for simplicity.  Plus, with the plate setter the temp probe wires have some protection via the legs ... as well as the dome thermometer if you orient one leg of the plate setter towards the front.

This set up is great for steaks.  The spider, w/ the Weber grill on it, is installed first.  Then the PSWoo and the plate setter.  Steaks are cooked at 250 'till near temp, the PSWoo and plate setter are pulled as a unit, and the temp is cranked up - inside of three minutes the egg is at 650 and the steaks go on the Weber grill for a minute per side.

So, it sounds like a PSWoo (with your free plate setter) and a 13" stone will allow you a lot of versatility.  Oh yes, for about $7 buy a Weber 13" grill ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Ive actually been using my spider and stone AND my platesetter in the PSWoo. I dont get as much direct heat from around the edges of the platesetter. Kinda happened by accident but this method has proved to work well for me, even if its overkill. 

To answer your question, they both work. I wouldnt say one is " better". 

Little Rock, AR

• WeberWho
    Options
    What I don't necessarily like about the plate setter is that I feel it leaves too much indirect heat around the edges.  With a couple racks of ribs on a large you always have to foil the ends because they hang over the direct heat. How's the spider and stone with direct heat around the stone?

Minnesota
  • Jeepster47
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @WeberWho? ... lay a firebrick on the plate setter where your bottom arrow (6 o'clock) is located.  That would shield the rib ends from direct radiation and you wouldn't have to foil.

One more idea ... buy the PSWoo, the triangular PSWoo platform, and the oval stone.  That combination would give you a good shadow for a couple of racks of ribs.

Hmmm ... a short piece of rod with both ends bent (like the AR crossbar) to span two of the PSWoo bottom loops would make a shelf to hold one end of the oval stone and the third bottom loop would hold the other end of the stone.  Think I'll try that next time ribs come up for a cook.  I'd check it out right now, but ribs are cooking using the PSWoo and the plate setter.

Also, you might consider rotating your plate setter so that it's out of the grooves and up on the flats ... that moves the grill an inch or so further away from the fire.

• BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    The biggest benefit to the spider and stone is that you can place your indirect piece lower than the plate setter, thus you are able to have a grid of food at the normal level for cooking.  This gives you a lot more room to do multi-level cooking.  The PS only allows for indirect cooks to be raised to the felt line or above.

That said, because the stone is round, you have heat coming up from all edges and would likely still need to foil the ends of long ribs.  It you got the oval stone from CGS, then no foil needed, but it can't fit down on the spider, thus you lose the additional cooking space provided by a stone lower in the spider.

There's always a catch.  Such is life.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @BizGreenEgg ... with an old broken plate setter and a cutoff wheel you might be able to make a customized oval stone that fits down below the top of the fire ring on the spider.

• BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    @BizGreenEgg ... with an old broken plate setter and a cutoff wheel you might be able to make a customized oval stone that fits down below the top of the fire ring on the spider.
    Absolutely.  This forum is never short on ingenuity.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm gonna keep using my plate setter on my large until it breaks.  It's long past the warranty and it's been replaced once already.  The "shadow" is small - some direct heat leaks around it.  I had a buddy cut a 16" 1/4" steel circle that I put on the plate setter....usually with a spacer so I get better air flow.  Keeps everything in the shade.