Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much pulled pork per person?

Options
hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
I am doing a staff BBQ in June and need to feed about 40 adults. Age range is 25- 55 men and women. I know when I have had buddies over and we eat till we explode but that wont be the case here. Also when my buddies come over I am just cooking to cook and what ever is left over ( I always plan for it) I just cryo and freeze. I haven't done a planned amount for a set number of people. My wife and I can finish off 1 lb for dinner so I was thinking 8 oz per person. there will be potatoes. corn and a couple salads, dessert, and booze. 35 pounds raw to finish with 21 cooked.

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    count on at least 1/3 pound per person

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Will @SGH be there?  Then pump up the count, otherwise 1/3 lb per person is a good guide
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    figure 3/4 pound per person precook weight.  This will net you about 6-7oz per person finished product. This should be more than enough with all the sides.  If you feel like that may not be adiquite then bump it up. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Your calculations sound correct to me as that is what I have heard as well is a 40% loss during cooking.  With 1/2 lb serving I think you will have more than enough but I am like you and would rather err on the high side. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Rule of thumb is number of people/2.4=pounds of raw pork butt/shoulder. In your case, 16.6 # total. I would do 2 9# butts or so.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Well started off with 4x 8 lbs, 32 lbs total and finished with 16 lbs. I cooked these a little closer to turbo temps (275-300) rather than my normal 250 ish. I think this created a larger weight loss in final product. I have done it several times before and attributed a standard 40% weight loss.

This still comes out to 6 oz per person plus the sides etc.