Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Materials List Issue via NakedWhiz Plans

Hey guys - I am looking to build a table this weekend and I was just about to go pick up some cedar but the actual width of the boards does not match up with what NakedWhiz' website is telling me I need.  Unfortunately, I don't have a table saw to cut the width to match so I'm in a bit of a pickle.

Does anyone have another materials/plans to run with?  I had planned to get this done tomorrow but the wood issue threw a wrench into things.  I'm open for cedar and/or cypress.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Large BGE
Lexington, SC

Comments

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    edited May 2015
    How much off is the cedar that you looked at off from the NakedWhiz plans?  Can't you adjust the dimensions of the table to the boards you can find instead of worrying about ripping the lumber to size?  If you're deadset on following the NakedWhiz plans you can build the table with any lumber you can find to match, even pressure treated, would work.

When I finally build a table I'll just be doing it to my dimensions and figure out the boards I need based off of that.  I'm thinking 4x4 for the legs and 2x4's for the supporting braces and the top.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Most shops where you buy the wood can cut it to size for you if you ask nicely :)
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    what size boards do they have?  NW calls for 4" wide boards for a 26"+/- depth table.  They have space between the boards and an overhang figured in.  You should be able to make up the difference with the spacing and overhang.  If not, add an extra board and make your table a little deeper.  You'll be glad you did. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Don't follow rules.
    Don't follow rules.
    Rebel
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Thanks, everyone.  I ended up taking a shortcut since he closed at noon EST and went with Southern Yellow Pine since it will be covered and he did have 2x4's, 1x6's and 1x4's in stock.
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Just as an EXAMPLE for the XL BGE, the table top is SUPPOSED to have a depth of 32".   Well, using 4x or 6x which are 3.5" and 5.5" respectively, it doesnt' come out even no matter WHAT.
    My solution?
    Alternate 4x and 6x boards and leave 1/4" between 'em.   Using 4 of the 4x and 3 of the 6x with 1/4" spacing works out to exactly 32" ::  Solved!