Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tennessee Pulled Pork

Options
GATraveller
GATraveller Posts: 8,207
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
This is an interesting article.  Never knew Tennessee had their own way of pulling.  I've eaten it this way (minus the hoe cakes) but didn't know it was considered regional to the state.  

http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/behind-the-issue/2015/05/behind-the-issue-what-happens-when-a-cook-from-north-carolina-tackles-tennessee-pulled-pork/

Thoughts??

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
Peachtree Corners, GA

Comments

• wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    I've lived most of my life in Tennessee, both in Knoxville in eastern part of the state and Franklin in middle Tennessee and I can't say that I've come across a Tennessee style of pulled pork.  Most of the places i've been too serve a straight-up pulled pork sandwich.  My guess is that the article is reporting on a style near the North Carolina boarder.
    Having said that, I have seen lots of places serve on hoe cakes rather than buns. 
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    I've been all over the state of Tennessee and have never seen this version.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2015
    Options
    That is interesting.  It sure looks good.  I don't think I have ever had hoecakes before.  Are those also a regional thing?  When I search for this I find "Carolina pulled pork hoecakes" so I it seems like this is more of a Carolina thing like @wbradking mentioned. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I've had (and made) hoe cakes but never with BBQ.  I've also had BBQ pulled/shredded like this but never heard it classified as "Tennessee".  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one.   =)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Those whore cakes look good.  I'm gonna make me sum.
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have had some BBQ like that, at bad BBQ joints or at ball games. Never heard it classified as "Tennessee Pulled". 

BBQ on cornbread is great though!

Lived here my whole life, except for school. 
    “All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/ 
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    now im home sick  :(
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I have some left over pulled pork vacuum sealed and in the freezer.  I think I'm going to try some with the hoecakes.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Those whore cakes look good.  I'm gonna make me sum.
    I think they're called sex merchants now.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Oh damn, are we back to talking about the one legged ho again?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    Hey, where's @Mike_Hauchertz when you need him?  This one is tee'd up perfectly!
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Lived here 50 years...never seen that. I dated a girl named "Hoe-Cake" ....  she aight. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    I've had this many times usually just north of Nashville in southern KY.  Also usually pork over ho cake with no top, and you have to eat it with a fork.