Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aftermarket dome thermometers

Options
ChillyWillis
ChillyWillis Posts: 893
edited May 2015 in Off Topic
I dropped my dome thermometer and cracked the glass last night while removing it for a clean burn. It still works for now, but I figure it's a sign from the egg gods that it's time to get a new thermometer. I would be especially interested in any that have a higher total temp range or something digital (or ideally both). Any recommendations from you fine ladies and gentlemen would be much appreciated. 

Edit: So far this looks like it could be a good option. The top temp is 1,000....

http://www.amazon.com/Tel-Tru-LT225R-Replacement-Thermometer-degrees/dp/B0055777EU

Comments

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I like the Smokeware one .. large and color coded, so I can see from a distance what my temps are at: http://smokeware.net/Temperature_Gauges/Smokeware_Temperature_Gauge.html

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Tel-Tru makes one with a range up to 1000ºF. I sometimes use one of the probes from my iGrill2 (limit of 572ºF).

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Sure...The old dropped my thermometer to get a new one trick. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    HAHHAH  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited May 2015
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Shhhhhhh! If you say it too loud SWMBO will hear. 

I just placed my order. I settled on the tel tru with 1,000 deg max temp I listed in my OP, but I got the model with the 3.5 inch stem as opposed to the 5 inch stem in the link. 

I am legitimately shocked that nobody makes a dome thermometer for the BGE with a digital readout (dial form, not the portable units). Seems like it'd be a money maker, especially with a backlit option. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Shhhhhhh! If you say it too loud SWMBO will hear. 

I just placed my order. I settled on the tel tru with 1,000 deg max temp I listed in my OP, but I got the model with the 3.5 inch stem as opposed to the 5 inch stem in the link. 

I am legitimately shocked that nobody makes a dome thermometer for the BGE with a digital readout (dial form, not the portable units). Seems like it'd be a money maker, especially with a backlit option. 
    Seems like Thermoworks could do it without breaking a sweat. A digital dome thermo would be cool. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming