Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WOW this is some recipe!

Options
Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
@RichardFL posted a recipe for Chicken, Thighs, Skewered, Dakkochi, Korean, Florida Mini Fest '14, and I just tried it tonight, and WOW -- I LOVED it!  I used some Korean red pepper instead of dried red pepper flakes, which is what I think "chili flakes" really meant, but I had never used this Korean red pepper before and it was so gorgeous I had to try.  It really wasn't terribly hot, but my poor wife has been less able to deal with spicy food, lately, so I'll try to make it gentler next time.  But she also loved it, definitely wants it again.  Thanks, Richard FL, for posting this!!!

The only other thing I did differently was I pounded the boneless thighs until the thicker parts were the same thickness as the thinner parts before cutting them into strips and marinating them.  I don't know if it really made any difference.

Theo

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I bet it was great! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    Looks fantastic!
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    I would garnish that with some chopped green onion and chopped toasted pine nuts!  The meat looks divine!  Well played!
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Looks incredible. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Nicely Done!!!!! Looks unbelievable.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Looks great! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    that looks fantastic - really, really nice.  you took the fire ring out an cooked down on the firebox?
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Options
    Damn that looks good. I love thighs.

LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    that looks outstanding, I'm bookmarking this one. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Theophan
    Options
    Legume said:
    ... you took the fire ring out an cooked down on the firebox?
    No, though I can see how it might look that way.  If you look closely in the circled area below, you'll the a division between the brownish-gray fire ring on the left and the less brownish gray top of the fire box to the right.

Especially for a direct cook like this, I wouldn't want the grid any closer to the coals for fear of hot spots.  I've never raised the grid above "factory default," but I gather that's why so many people do, to reduce even further the risk of hot spots.  I guess if you had the entire bed of coals raging, like when you want to sear something, the closer the better, but this was cooking at about 350.
  • Theophan
    Options
    And thanks to everybody for the kind reviews!  I can't take much credit for it, though, because I just followed the recipe, but boy, that's some recipe!  This is definitely on the favorites list for sure!  :)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Glad you liked it!  YES it can get HOT.

• blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
  • Theophan
    Options

Was I guessing right that "chili flakes" means the typical dried red pepper flakes that are in all grocery stores, that I first used in Italian cooking?

As I said above, the bright red color of the Korean red chili powder was so gorgeous that I was dying to try it.  Tasting just a tiny bit of the powder directly, it didn't seem too hot to me, so I'm not sure it would have been any hotter than dried red pepper flakes.  Maybe less so.

Anyway, THANKS for posting that recipe!  That instantly became one of my favorites!

Theo
  • Richard Fl
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Theophan said:

Was I guessing right that "chili flakes" means the typical dried red pepper flakes that are in all grocery stores, that I first used in Italian cooking?

As I said above, the bright red color of the Korean red chili powder was so gorgeous that I was dying to try it.  Tasting just a tiny bit of the powder directly, it didn't seem too hot to me, so I'm not sure it would have been any hotter than dried red pepper flakes.  Maybe less so.

Anyway, THANKS for posting that recipe!  That instantly became one of my favorites!

Theo

The red flakes are  either crushed red peppers like on pizza or the Korean version which is a little hotter.  Also gochujang paste is rather hot.

http://www.gochujangsauce.com/?gclid=CIugh5bis8UCFY0XHwodI0gAFA

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Excellent cook
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Richard Fl
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • Theophan
    Options
    The red flakes are  either crushed red peppers like on pizza or the Korean version which is a little hotter.  Also gochujang paste is rather hot.
    I just noticed that some gochujangs seem to have different numbers for how hot they are on the container.  I guess some are hotter than others.  Interesting.  I bought the one I found on Amazon that claimed it was the #1 seller in Korea, but I have no other experience with it.  Are different brands much different from each other?

Thanks!

Theo
  • Richard Fl
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Have not eaten much chili paste from Korea to compare, but this is similiar to the one I buy at my local Korean grocery store.  The owner picked it out, has a kick and I like it, just don't use very much until you get to the heat level you enjoy.

http://www.amazon.com/Gochujang-Hot-Pepper-Paste-1-1lbs/dp/B004JPW9TC
  • Theophan
    Options
    Have not eaten much chili paste from Korea to compare, but this is similiar to the one I buy at my local Korean grocery store.  The owner picked it out, has a kick and I like it, just don't use very much until you get to the heat level you enjoy.

Cool -- by coincidence that's exactly the same one I have, that I ordered from Amazon based only on the fact that the label said it was the #1 seller in Korea.  (Well, the customer reviews were good, too, but they were also good for a few other brands.)

But notice on the label the "Medium-Hot" thing, and the number "3":

Here's a label from a different brand of gochujang on Amazon that says "Extreme Hot" and the number "5":

It looks like there's sort of an informal rating system, and some of them are hotter than others.  My wife can't seem to handle hot food very well anymore, so I need to tone it down, if anything.  I think next time I might try keeping the gochujang the same but maybe halving or even leaving out the tablespoon of chili flakes/powder.  It was SO good I hate to mess with it, but she had heartburn afterward, even though she loved it and wants it again.

Thanks again!

Theo
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Theophan said:

Cool -- by coincidence that's exactly the same one I have, that I ordered from Amazon based only on the fact that the label said it was the #1 seller in Korea.  (Well, the customer reviews were good, too, but they were also good for a few other brands.)

But notice on the label the "Medium-Hot" thing, and the number "3":

Here's a label from a different brand of gochujang on Amazon that says "Extreme Hot" and the number "5":

It looks like there's sort of an informal rating system, and some of them are hotter than others.  My wife can't seem to handle hot food very well anymore, so I need to tone it down, if anything.  I think next time I might try keeping the gochujang the same but maybe halving or even leaving out the tablespoon of chili flakes/powder.  It was SO good I hate to mess with it, but she had heartburn afterward, even though she loved it and wants it again.

Thanks again!

Theo
    Just looked at my container and it is #3 also. Check out my Korean Noodle post an hour or so back.  I also use the chili paste in it. Happy wokking! 
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Richard
    You crossed over the bridge there are a lot more cooks over here!

Ross