Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSWoo2 Extender w/ D-ring cooking grid

Options

Comments

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Just ordered it. $69.95 ... I have no idea how I'm gonna explain this one to the wife.

Uh oh.

I must've missed something. 

What, exactly, did you order @SoCalTim

I ordered what I thought was the extender including the D grid for $39.99.  (plus shipping, of course)

What did I miss?

The D-Grid ... you needed to click the second option at the bottom which included the D-Grid for an extra $30.
    Thank you, @Jeepster47.  Just spoke w/ Tom, all squared away now.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    @Sardonicus  .... btw, I see where you clicked on the off topic button my post, what's with that?

No idea, @SoCalTimCompletely unintentional.

I believe I've corrected my error.

No worries brother ...
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I have the AR set up and all the extras. My platesetter is collecting dust now
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Anyone with this care to post some more pics of this rig in action?  I don't yet have a woo, so I'm looking at $140 for the woo, extender, and sliding grid.  It looks cool, just not sure if it justifies me spending that much at this time.  I do have a plate setter though.  I know it isn't nearly as good as this rig, but how is the BGE folding extender.  It's only $25 and may be enough for what I need. Thanks!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    If you dont already have the PSWoo, before I spent 140 on that I'd go on and get the AR with extender. 

Little Rock, AR

• nth78
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What AR equipment would I need two do to grids of ribs at once?
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @nth78  .. Hey brother, go back to the start of this post, you'll see quite a few pictures posted.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    nth78 said:
    What AR equipment would I need two do to grids of ribs at once?
    http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig-r-b-oval-combo/

Little Rock, AR

• nth78
    Options
    Any reason you prefer the R&B combo instead of the customer combo?  Seems that you get quite a bit more with the customer for only $10 more
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I would get the customer combo. But he asked whats best for 2 grids of ribs and thats the r&b combo. I had platesetter already so bought pswoo. Think im prbly still gonna get an AR. 

Little Rock, AR

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    I have a woo that I use in my large egg all the time, I also have a medium grid that I purchased for the extender that we got on the group buy a few years ago(I hate that extender). Will a medium grid be too small for the large woo extender?

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    bo_mull said:
    I have a woo that I use in my large egg all the time, I also have a medium grid that I purchased for the extender that we got on the group buy a few years ago(I hate that extender). Will a medium grid be too small for the large woo extender?
    I bet it wont fit. Sounds like you need the "d grid" but I could be wrong. 

Little Rock, AR

• nth78
    Options
    What is the advantage of the oval stone in the R&B vs the circle one in the Customer combo?
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    It blocks the direct heat so the ends of the ribs/brisket arent overexposed to direct heat and burn/overcook. 

Little Rock, AR

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited May 2015
    Options
    bo_mull said:

@Bo_Mull It isn't so much the size that matters. =)

We just received the CGS extender and D grid.  The D grid has a couple of guides on the bottom that allow the grid to side directly backward without fear that it will shift too far to one side and then fall onto the lower tier.

Your grid may fit, but you'd have the concern of inadvertent lateral movement.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Want! 
    I'm gonna one up ya. I'm gonna GET!!!
    OK its on, I ordered today and already got my shipping notice. Oh and my SRF prime rib roast will be here Friday also.....so there LOL. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Damn u got me. Ive bout talked myself into the AR even though I already have the PSWoo

Little Rock, AR

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Damn u got me. Ive bout talked myself into the AR even though I already have the PSWoo
    Buy them both ...

Seriously, the PSWoo extender looks good.  Gets you just short of four inches above the felt line for those monster chop cooks ... or for extra crispy skin on spatchcock chickens.  It needs the D-grill to be really efficient ... but then, when you can't stand it any longer and buy the AR also it'll fit it.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Dobie
    Options
    I was expecting to see pics of you cooking on it by now  =)
    Jacksonville FL
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Just received my extender and D rack today. Gotta say I don't love it. I was hoping it would replace my swing rack now I'm not so sure. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Dobie
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Just received my extender and D rack today. Gotta say I don't love it. I was hoping it would replace my swing rack now I'm not so sure. 
    So what is the issue? You obviously wanted to replace the swing rack.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    grege345 said:
    @grege345 ... I've really got to laugh.  Sounds like a typical "equipment operator" telling the manufacturer that they don't like the new machines ... and wailing, "why'd you change it?"  Try it and see if it doesn't work well.

Other than wanting another inch of lift, it looks good for what I want it for.

• grege345
    Options
    First off I really love my woo and thought this was going to be a great add on. First thing I dont like about it is the clearance. My swing rack with PS has 5" of clearance to the top rack. The extender barely hits 4 inches, and if you add the little crossbar rods its even less. The butts I buy might fit under it but its going to be tight. The second thing I don't like about it are the slide rails on the rack itself. Obviously they are there to keep it from sliding left to right. However they could have tightened up a bit. The reason I say this is when i push it back and slide it forward it gets stuck. So you have to make sure when you pull it back you pull it back square. Not a big deal but when i use tongs to push it back and forth its hard to pull back square. Again not a big deal but those slides can be brought in 1/8 so there is less wiggle. This is something I'll just fix on my own. Also, it doesnt sit flat on the extender. A little food on top and it will sit flat. Not a big deal but an OCD person will probably have a nervous breakdown. @Jeepster47 That hurt. I'm not so typical lol

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @grege345 ... I did say "sounds like."  No intent to offend. 

Your second answer was good data.  I think Tom used the 16" diameter D-grill 'cuz that's what he uses with the AR rig ... it fits down inside the AR frame.  Once he settles on the D-grill, then he's restricted to a maximum lift of approximately 5.5 inches above the felt line ... that's where it starts binding on the sides.  Plus, at a 5.5 inch lift most of the outside of the grill is useless to hold food.  (I've been using a 4.5 inch lift from firebricks and a 13" diameter Weber grill ... which seems to work well.)  It looks like a 4 inch lift is the about the right height for using the majority of the area of the D-grill.

One thing you can try is to use the dome to slide the D-ring back into position.  Don't slide it forward, just lower the dome and it'll slide the grill forward ... saw that being done in this video with the AR extender at about 4 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvHPjLCsREw

• grege345
    Options
    If you just look at the still of the video you posted you'll notice that the AR oval sits below felt line with the chickens on. This would increase the clearance from grid to grid. Less than 4 inches clearance is no bueno. I understand that they could have made a smaller grid and raised it up a bit but a 16"x14" grid makes most sense as far as cooking space is concerned. The swing rack is 15" round. Is there a Lesson I learned from all this? Yes, start with the AR and call it a day. Cost me a lot of money to experiment and try different things. Meanwhile there seems to be a product that does all of these things. The AR lol. Good advice on letting the dome move the Dring. I'll try that. Thanks

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @grege345 ... yep, my AR has approximately a 4.5 inch lift in the video configuration and my PSWoo only has approximately a 3.75 inch lift.

I really do love the simplicity of the PSWoo though ... damn.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Ok, so if ya'll had to start over with just a PSWoo and platesetter, would you buy the extender or just suck
    it up and buy the AR. I have a spider and stone already so don't need that. I want another level but just dont know which way to go. 

Little Rock, AR

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    How hard  is it to remove  the plate  setter  when it's installed  in the woo and hot?  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    g37 said:
    How hard  is it to remove  the plate  setter  when it's installed  in the woo and hot?  
    Do you mean removing the platesetter from the woo or just moving the whole thing?  If you mean just pulling the whole thing its really simple. It all comes out together holding the handles. 

Little Rock, AR

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Im sorry I  meant from the woo  when it's hot. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii