Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crab Legs on Saturday, Homemade Italian Sausages on Sunday

Options

steamed these in the XL on Saturday.  Used a vortex to contain the charcoal and harness radiant heat so the crab legs could be placed off to the side out of the steam tray and NOT burn or dry out.

I did a hot burn to rid the BGE of the fish smell and then used the Vortex on Sunday to contain the charcoal and gently brown the sausages gradually and then char them up a little directly over the fire.  and before cooking the sausages, I made them by grinding up pork shoulder, spicing with salt, wine, garlic, fennel and chili flakes and then casing them with a hand-crank sausage stuffer.  mighty tasty stuff.  The Big Green Egg produces the best results of anything i cook and it demonstrated its versatility this weekend . 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me brother. I'm doing crab legs to tonight myself. Again, great job.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Seeing as though the legs are cooked fully already my question is do you pick up any flavor profile by the reheat on the egg? I consume a lot of king crab legs and would be courious if it's worth the effort on the egg.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Amazing.  Great you hand make your sausage!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    SGH said:
    Looks like a winner to me brother. I'm doing crab legs to tonight myself. Again, great job.  

Hey thanks SGH.  they were pretty dang good.  making them on the egg is so easy and I was able to stage delivery of them for a pretty decent-sized crowd, ie: we never had a bunch of crab legs sitting around getting cold and soggy
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Roadpuke0 said:
    Seeing as though the legs are cooked fully already my question is do you pick up any flavor profile by the reheat on the egg? I consume a lot of king crab legs and would be courious if it's worth the effort on the egg.

I've found it very worthwhile to make large batches of king crab legs (40 lbs at a time) because I don't stink up the house with the fish smell by making them in the oven or on the stove- and I don't go through a huge pot of water that needs to be disposed of either.  I used mesquite charcoal (mesquite branches off my trees converted to charcoal) and place frozen legs in a lower pan with a little water in it, then rotate them to the upper level (on a multigrid adjustable rig setup courtesy of CGS) and since I use the disposable aluminum turkey roasting pans, cleanup is minimal.  The flavor profile picked up in the knuckles or exposed areas of meat is pretty minimal.  although taking the thawed and warmed up legs out of the lower pan and placing them on the uppermost grid ensures that they aren't soggy ending up in a crab leg shell that bends but doesn't break.  the upper grid dries them out a bit (the meat stays very moist) and results in a shell that cracks easily- it's almost brittle.  I've found yet another useful application for the big green egg!
  • westernbbq
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Amazing.  Great you hand make your sausage!

I've ground up another 30 lbs of pork shoulder and will be spicing it up and casing it tomorrow evening.  home made sausage without chemicals or bad fillers has spoiled me.  I tried a <gasp> Johnsonville brat a few months ago and couldn't eat it.  I know they are mass-produced but the home made stuff is sooooo much better.