Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crack in LBGE? What to do?

blakeas
blakeas Posts: 244
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
a week ago I was cooking on my LBGE and noticed smoke coming from the bottom - I thought it was coming from the vent but I did further inspection and it seemed to be coming from elsewhere.  I found this crack and thought it might be coming from this?  I did a video but I am not sure how to post it here but I did attach a photo.  My wife bought this egg for me last july from an authorized seller of Green egg's here in ohio.  Who do I call and what do I do now?

Comments

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Call the place you purchased it from and if they don't satisfy you call BGE direct.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    some dealers want the part, some just pics. i would call first
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blakeas
    edited May 2015
    That would be very heavy to haul all the way to the dealer - which is Gale's in Westlake, OH.  Ok, will call and try pics
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    I just went to our local dealer (not who I purchased my egg thru) he just wanted the pictures, had me fill out a warranty form and said on next order (4 weeks or so) they should be getting my replacement.  Fortunately for me I have 2 other kamados to use in the meantime.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • blakeas
    what usually happens?  I talked with my dealer and they are contacting Green egg right now.  Do they come get it?  or do they ship a whole new unit?  Meaning I will have 2?  a cracked and a good one?
  • nysportsfan
    nysportsfan Posts: 241
    Probably will give you only the bottom. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    As noted above, some dealers want the part, others do not. Once they get the replacement part you usually have to pick it up at their location, I think that is the standard for warranty replacement. There are some extraordinary dealers which might even deliver it for you. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • blakeas
    oh, so I might have to take apart my egg?  not looking forward to that
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    As noted above you'll probably get a new bottom.  Taking the egg apart is easy.  Make sure you fasten the spring band together with the two plastic thingies that lock it down or use those plastic ties thingies cops use instead of handcuffs.  

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I just replaced my cracked base with a new one under warranty.  Like @gabriegger says, make sure you lock the hinge down with the plastic thingies or zip ties before removing the dome.  It did not take very long to switch out the base.  Maybe you can use the cracked base as a planter!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    File claim and keep cooking. Most of time pics will suffice. Depends on dealer. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    @smbishop Ya that's it, zip ties.  Thanks. Thought I lost a brain cell there.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini