Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I wrap my Butt?

dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
I am cooking a 8-9 LB Butt for our pot luck group this Saturday. Serving time will be around 8:00 PM as we usually have appertizers and drink first.

I could get up early and low and slow at 250 dome or start later and wrap at 16 internal to speed up the cook.

Any advice here is appreciated.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,823
    I would cook hotter ~325, and not wrap.
    NOLA
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I would get up early and cook low and slow for about three hours then put it in a pan with some apple juice cover it and cook until it is about 195-205 and is tender and the bone pulls out easy. I always inject mine the night before and put a good rub on them.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Turbo it. 325 to 350 for 7 to 8 hrs until desired temp. I only turbo butts. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    I wrap mine about 3/3.5 hrs of smoking at a dom temp of275/300. My thought on that is this it's probably got all smoke in that's it going to get and by wrapping it remain moist.I also put about a 1/4 in of apple juice in the pan .when sharp knife falls threw the meat it is done.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    I'm with the modified turbo camp on this one.  You have enough time to start at around 250-270*F on the dome for around 3-4 hrs then dial it up to the 325 range to finish it off.  It should take around 8-9 hrs to finish.  You can always wrap if going too slowly in mid afternoon or slow it down.  One thing with the higher temp cooks-if you have a  lot of sugar in your rub it can burn if you dial it too hot.  FYI-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    If you cook hot watch the sugar content as noted above. I prefer to finish early, then wrap - it only gets better while it sits in foil, towels and the cooler. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,530
    Only wrap of you have too.. Bark will not be as good
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    No.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut