Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to you eat for dinner?

Options

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    There are various styles of pizzas and different dough recipes. Some are best cooked in the 475-550º range. Some are better cooked at 600º and above.  Most of the pizzas I see posted on this forum are medium thick crust with a heavy load of toppings. The 475-550º range is fine for this style. A lot of the dough recipes circulating are designed for this temperature range (as are most store bought doughs).  The key is to find the right combination of cooking time, temperature, dough recipe, and egg setup for the style you like. 
    I don't know why I'm so reluctant to try and fail with pizza.  Sorta nuts.  :)  With other things I haven't minded if something didn't come out that great, just learned from it.  Pizza just sounds like enough of a pain, somehow, that I hate to go through it all and then not like the result.  But I guess some trial and error is just going to have to be part of the deal.  Thanks for your help!

Theo
  • MunchkinRedux
    MunchkinRedux Posts: 35
    edited May 2015
    Options
    robnybbq said:

What do you normally eat during the week vs weekends?
    If its an egged meal  for example do you just grill a plain piece of chicken(yuck) and some sort of side .... ? 

I make dinner 6 out of 7 nights a week (DH takes the 7th night).  We don't go to a restaurant more than 2-3 times a year, and don't do take out.  We find home-cooked food is much more to our liking: tastier, fresher, quicker, and more economical.

I try to keep weeknight prepping and cook time to 30-45 minutes.  Since getting the egg, I use it quite a bit (DH is grill master and preps/lights it).

I do occupy myself with some prep time on the weekend (often with assistance from DH):  seasoning meat in advance to air-dry in the fridge, making marinades, sauces and dressings.  An easy week night meal for us consists of a protein and veg, usually with a nice home-made sauce or dressing. 

A "plain piece of chicken" (or other protein) can be excellent if well-seasoned and accompanied by a tasty condiment and fresh veggie.   Right now I'm long on chimichurri sauce (made from herbs from my garden), tomato jam and pizza sauce (canned last season from tomatoes), salmoriglio (lemon herb sauce), soy garlic marinade, yakitori sauce (DH makes it by the quart and we store it in the freezer), raspberry vinaigrette, and buttermilk ranch. 

Veggies right now include maybe grilled asparagus (in season), a nice green salad, or raw veggie and dip.

If you feel the need for something carby, add pasta, couscous, garlic bread, tortillas, seasoned rice, pizza crust, grits, or maybe spuds (small potatoes can be rolled in olive oil with some seasoning, and steamed in the microwave - covered (vented) and with a spoon-full of water - in about 8 minutes).

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Made some skirt steaks on Saturday and a plain spatchcock chicken yesterday. 

Tonight we will get home around 8:00.  

Note the spatch was good yesterday - now I need to make it into something edible tonight.  I also have some of the steak leftover.  Dont want to make tacos tonight (that's tomorrow).  I dont want to just reheat the chicken as it wont be as good as yesterday. 

What can I make dinner out of with that chicken tonight? No salads either.

Garnerville, NY
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    For us, it is a given that BBQ chicken pizza follows the previous night of spatch ****.  

Last week I picked up a new gadget to help with taco night.  It makes things so much easier, so thought I'd mention it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JCYRK0S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Phoenix 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    agree 100%

For reheating - I take the food on a plate and nuke it for 2-3 minutes.  If the food is in a sauce its ok - a piece of grilled chicken not so much.
    This is your problem. Microwave it in 30 second bursts and wait 15 seconds between zaps. 
    +1^^  I cook enough protein on Sunday's to cover a few meals during the week.

I foodsaver my leftovers in single meal increments (for our family). I thaw them in hot water and change the water until the food is fairly warm.  A short nuke is all it needs after that.  

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    The OT Not worth it thread got me thinking.  I dont want to go out to eat as much anymore as its a huge wallet drain.  I would like to know how to cook to make meals better at home without the long low and slow cooks that come out good.

What do you normally eat during the week vs weekends?
    If its an egged meal  for example do you just grill a plain piece of chicken(yuck) and some sort of side like nuked frozen vegetables? 

Do you make elaborate cooks during the week?

What are you god non egg cooks for during the week?

What do you eat when you dont have allot of time?  Like getting home at 8:30 PM and plan to go to bed at 10.  I can't stand leftovers so looking at other options.  I am still on the getting healthy battle that I dont want to get into but good healthy food cant hurt.

One of the hardest parts is planning ahead.  We cook at home almost every night.  Sunday is hopefully something that will generate leftovers, like a roast chicken, that can be made into salad with grilled chicken on Tuesday.  Monday, fish - tonight is cod, if I get home early enough, I'll grill it, but easy to throw in the oven too.  Friday I like to do pizza in warm weather.  We usually keep some broccoli and green beans in the fridge, they cook in about 2 minutes in the microwave. 

I also like to have an extra meal so I can take lunch and not have to buy lunch, if possible. 

It definitely helps to plan out 3-4 days at a time.  And to enjoy repurposing leftovers or leftover ingredients.  Good luck!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • MunchkinRedux
    Options
    Pizza is a good call for leftover chicken, as are quesadillas and tacos.  In the winter time, a quick chicken noodle soup also is handy to have in your repertoire.

One of the hardest parts is planning ahead.

I think planning ahead is really the key to pulling off a steady stream of decent dinners while working a day job (as well as to keeping your costs down and minimizing food waste). 

I find it helps to have a weekly food plan:  it keeps the shopping to a minimum, and if you know what you're making in the evening, you might have the opportunity to prep a little of it in the morning.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I had leftover pulled pork and potato salad. For leftovers it was great. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • robnybbq
    Options
    We tried to eat the leftover spatch but it was way too smokey tasting - nasty.  Maybe it should have been buried in sauce it would have been better but straight up it ended up in the trash.  Wendy's to the rescue.  no wonder I cant loose weight.

One day I'll get more time to be able to cook properly every night.  I cant keep going at this pace.  It's not good and the DR visits are adding up.

Garnerville, NY
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Alright @robnybbq I'm going to call you out on something that I've been thinking from your posts for a long time. 

You are not in need of new recipes to eat.  You are in need a lifestyle change. I'm sorry if you won't listen to your doctors or others that tell you that you need to change things. You need to Man up or shut up. 

Not eating leftovers is an excuse, especially if you think that Wendy's is a saving grace. Changing your mentality when it comes to food is difficult and will take dedication and willingness to change. You can't take one bite of a leftover and say "well fast food is better" 

I'm not trying to be a prick here, but if you don't show the willingness to change your habits after your doctor has told you to I don't know what complaining on a food forum will do for you. 

Eating fruit and veggies is a good thing. It's your job to figure out how you can make it work for you.  

And if you think that leftover meat off of the Egg is dry you overcooked it in the first place. 

Stop blaming the food and own your diet. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    ...and they have salads at Wendy's :smiley: 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Funny, I was just thinking this is starting to resemble that long thread that won't die about "I need to do something to lose weight" where tons of advice was given, all refused or excused away.  Certainly not there yet, but headed down the same road.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I don't like leftovers either, but I just use it as an excuse to cook something else on the egg.  No fast food.  Ever. 

Also, I don't microwave anything (except to occasionally precook a potato, but that's rare).  Sauces and stews (chili, etc) heat up really quickly in a wok, and you can ensure more moisture by heating your proteins with a little stock or moisture the same way.
    NOLA
  • robnybbq
    Options
    I did not want this to go into the health crap and I wont.  It is what it is and it will end one day.

I was trying to see what others do on a daily basis for eating since I dont get it.  Growing up it was mac n cheese form a box and hotdogs, spaghetti and jarred sauce, bologna sandwiches, and meatloaf.  Not much a variety.

I just dont like leftovers in the same form they came off the Egg or any cook for that matter.  Now having the chicken spatchcocked is very good the day its cooked.  I just do not like it the next day.  usually allot of smoke flavor the next day.  In the past we have made enchiladas out of leftover spatch and its good smothered in cheese and sauce.  Did not have time to preheat the oven and bake for a 3/4 hour+.

Looks like allot of people eat salads during the week.  OK

Usually we dont have time to cook a full meal with the kids schedules and getting home from work late.  When we have time like this past weekend we can cook a good meal like spatchcock chicken and steaks.  Usually we dont.  Walking in the door at 7:30/8:00 and trying to cook a meal results with us eating after 9:00 when the kids need to be in bed.  Time management - yeah  I have none.

I did not want this thread to get derailed - I apologize for that just trying to learn.

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    by the time its that late the only thing im eating is the lime and cherry in my cocktail drink =) i dont eat many dinners during the week and if i do its something simple like those frozen stuffed clams or scollops
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Tonight I'm going to grill some shrimp and serve with rice noodles and steamed frozen potstickers. Start to finish I can't imagine everything taking all that long.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • robnybbq
    Options
    What time - I'll be over.

Besides my pickiness over food my wife and kids are worse.  Very limited menu to start with.  I would eat seafood most nights (if I knew how to cook it better)  - them - nope. 

Garnerville, NY
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Try this book:  How to Cook Everything Fast

I haven't read it, but I have a couple of Bittman's other books and he's generally really solid.  I think Jamie Oliver has a quick meal cookbook that just came out or is coming out.  Rachael Ray is annoying, but she built a career on meals in 30 minutes and the couple that I've had were fine.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• robnybbq
    Options
    Will check it out.

Also do most dinners consist of plain(rubbed) meat or are allot in sauces (BBQ, broth, cheese)

I guess on a salad the meat would be mixed with the greens and dressing. 

What about say frying pan fried pork chops and frozen mixed vegetables in the microwave?  Would you put BBQ sauce on the pork chop?  AS an example?

Garnerville, NY
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    by the time its that late the only thing im eating is the lime and cherry in my cocktail drink =) i dont eat many dinners during the week and if i do its something simple like those frozen stuffed clams or scollops
    robnybbq kids:
      "Whats for dinner, Dad?"
    "Lime and cherries in the cocktail."
      "What, again?"
    "Well, what do you suggest?"
      "Rum and coke... cherry coke!"
    "You know that keeps you up all night. And you kids don't get nearly enough fruit or vegetables in you diet."
      "O.K., I'll have a Bloody Mary w. a stalk of celery."
      "And I'll have some Sangria, but no limes, only lemons."

Kids! D___! they're picky.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    @robnybbq I didn't bring up the Dr. visits, you did. So don't attempt to dress me down about stating simple facts. It's your health and if you have no desire to improve it for yourself or your family that's your choice. You know that you need to change things but show absolutely no desire to follow through and do something about it.  

Don't blame "the way it was" or "the wife and kids are picky".  People have fallen over themselves in multiple threads to give you ideas on what you can do for everyday meals, party meals, weekend meals etc., and 98% of the time you make excuses as to why these suggestions won't work for you.  

You admit that "time management" isn't your strong suit.  Do things that will help correct that.  Find crockpot recipes that you or your wife can throw in the pot in the morning and come home to a meal ready to eat.  Meals don't necessarily have to be centered around a protein all of the time.  You state "no salad" "chicken-yuck" your closed mindedness wins before you even begin.

I wish you nothing but the best man and hope that you can figure out someway that will make your meals more enjoyable without relying on a drivethru.  Good luck.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    A lot of it depends on your own taste, what you and your family enjoy.  I like leftovers better than you do, and usually just reheat them.  But here are a few things that appeal to me (maybe not you, I don't know), and they'd be very fast easy way to make leftovers something new (I'm finding these on Amazon just for this discussion, but you can find stuff like this in your grocery store):
    • Here's a curry paste that you can add cut up cooked chicken to, have some rice and nuke some frozen vegetables, a quick yummy meal (IF you like Indian food).
    • Here is a nukeable bag with rice and vegetables already in it with Indian spices.  Again, you could add some cut up cooked chicken and have a meal.  I've had several of this brand's offerings, and I won't say any of them are the greatest thing in the world, but I like them, and if what you want is fast, easy, and really different from the original dish, it would qualify.  Maybe just make one for lunch, sometime as a test, and see whether you think you or your family might like it. I like to add a dab of hot mango chutney on the side, if you like that kind of thing.
    • Here's a Thai dish in a box that you could add shrimp to, or cooked meat, and there are probably several different ones you could try in your grocery store.
    There are TONS of things like that in the grocery store!  I'm sure there are similar things that are Mexican.  I even wonder if some of the Hamburger Helper varieties could be repurposed for meats other than hamburger.

And don't forget the frozen section!  There are lots of frozen dishes these days that say just add chicken, etc..

You probably won't like some of them, others might be great.  Instead of risking a catastrophic meal that everyone hates, and that discourages you from trying other things, maybe try some of these things one serving at a time for lunch on a weekend or some time you feel like it.  That way if you don't like it, you haven't risked very much and you can try something else another time.

Remember, it doesn't have to be the way other people do it -- it just has to taste good to you!  So if you like Mexican, maybe nobody in Mexico would put cut up spatchcock chicken in their tacos, I don't know, but why wouldn't it be good?  Maybe cut up the chicken sort of in shreds and heat it up with a little taco sauce or salsa or something, or maybe just a little chili powder and a tiny bit of water to re-moisten it, throw it in taco shells with some lettuce, tomatoes, maybe some onion, cilantro, cheese, little taco sauce, guacamole, whatever sounds good to you.  How bad can it be?

Theo
  • robnybbq
    Options
    gdenby said:
    robnybbq kids:
      "Whats for dinner, Dad?"
    "Lime and cherries in the cocktail."
      "What, again?"
    "Well, what do you suggest?"
      "Rum and coke... cherry coke!"
    "You know that keeps you up all night. And you kids don't get nearly enough fruit or vegetables in you diet."
      "O.K., I'll have a Bloody Mary w. a stalk of celery."
      "And I'll have some Sangria, but no limes, only lemons."

Kids! D___! they're picky.
    A good bloody mary does have veggies in it........  Some have shrimp hanging on the side as well.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Scott - was not meaning you brought up the DR stuff.  I just dont want to go into that and I apologize for doing so.  I appreciate your help.  And I do try the recommendations others provide.  The party was a success.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Options
    OK I forgot to add one leftover I like from the Egg.  I will try and make it this weekend for next week.

Egged meatloaf stuffed with sauteed mushrooms and cheese.  This did reheat very well last time I made it when the family was away and I was in the mood for it.  Would that freeze well and be nuked to reheat OK?

Garnerville, NY
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    You've got a lot of suggestions above, I just thought I'd add one more for you.

Regarding your Chicken Salad comment, where it's OK if you DROWN it in mayo - but then why not just eat the mayo? 

I've changed up my chicken salad recipie a little bit lately, which I now MUCH prefer, and I use less mayo than before.  Cut the mayo use down, and then sub in horseradish, and/or dijon mustard.  Same amount of moisture, less pure mayo.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    BRush00 said:

Regarding your Chicken Salad comment, where it's OK if you DROWN it in mayo - but then why not just eat the mayo? 

I've changed up my chicken salad recipie a little bit lately, which I now MUCH prefer, and I use less mayo than before.  Cut the mayo use down, and then sub in horseradish, and/or dijon mustard.  Same amount of moisture, less pure mayo.
    I agree with this, we've also replaced some mayo with Greek yogurt, especially if we're going to eat it immediately, as opposed to making a large batch for lunches through the week.  That is a bit different of a taste vs mayo and mustard.

Also, we put chopped pickles in our chicken salad, and will use the pickle juice to add some moisture as well.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    BRush00 said:

mixing light mayo with greek yogurt works really well too, especially with some dried cranberries and walnuts mixed in
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I just cooked a big thick strip steak last night for the three of us.  Now leftovers other than some scraps for the dog.  Usually I cook extra and if I don't want it for a while I put it in vacuum sealed bags and freeze them for another time.   To reheat I just cut a small hole in the bag and nuke it for 15 to 30 second intervals tell it is done.   I only go for 2 minutes at a time or more when the  box food says too like popcorn.   I don't usually eat the veggies reheated, I like them made fresh. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited May 2015
    Options
    robnybbq said:

A good bloody mary does have veggies in it........  Some have shrimp hanging on the side as well.

NOLA