Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Varsity in Atlanta

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
I will be in downtown Atlanta next week and am wondering if the Varsity restaurant is worth going to. If yes do you have any suggestions for what to order? Thanks!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    You get chili dogs at Varsity. It's what they do.

They are gross, but it's still a must do.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    You get chili dogs at Varsity. It's what they do.

They are gross, but it's still a must do.
    I agree with all of this. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Dawgs8033
    Dawgs8033 Posts: 113
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing. If you are into really messy greasy food do it. If not there are plenty of great food options in town.
    LGBE, SBGE,Blackstone,Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The Varsity is more than a restaurant, it's an experience. The dogs are just okay I agree. But the history, the ambiance, you just have to go. I grew up going downtown to the Varsity with my dad, some of my best memories. Your order is below, this is a must...an absolute must. Yell your order to the order taker as fast as you can and they'll think you are a native Atlantan. =)

2 all the way chili dawgs (onions etc etc)
    onion rings (fries are good too, but the rings are the bomb)
    Frosted orange to drink (an absolute must)
    Fried peach pie for dessert. (worth the entire experience)

Anything else is blasphemy. 
    Edit: also, keep a look out for celebrities. Several movies are being filmed in the ATL right now. One is huge budget Paramount production, just a few miles from the Varsity.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Then after you have been hooked here is a knock off recipe:

Varsity Chili Dog Knock Off Sauce

Posted by: Chuck Lane on 2002/11/13 21:49:17 

1 pound ground chuck

1 3/4 cups water

2 tablespoons chile powder

2 teaspoons paprika

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic

1 teaspoon granulated onion

2 teaspoons salt

1 dash tobasco sauce

Put water and all ingredients except meat into saucepan and stir well. Add meat, breaking it up with your fingers as you go. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and leave uncovered until nearly all water is gone and the consistency is the way you like it. This is just about as good as the chili at the Varsity here in Atlanta. They make great chili dogs!

Regards,

Chuck Lane

RRP here…Here you go - trust me this is really good! I make double batches and then scoop into a measuring cup making “pucks” drop them on a cookie sheet OR onto Saran wrap and then freeze. Pull out one at a time - and believe it or not they will last a year or more frozen!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    I lived across the interstate from the V while in college. Chili dogs, onion rings and a FO (Frosted Orange) is the way to go. Take some Mylanta ahead of time and enjoy! It's great. 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Mylanta or Pre-load with pepto.  Its definitely worth the experience.  Tons of other places are great to try if you are going to be here for a few days.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• mwatts
    mwatts Posts: 122
    Options

Curious what are some hole in the wall places in Atlanta? My wife and I would love to check some of them out when we are in Atlanta in a few weeks.

Extra Large, Large, DigiQII, Thermapen, Adjustable Rig
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I always get a chili dog, chili cheese steak (hamburger) with pimento cheese, o-rings and a FO (frosted orange).  It's greasy but worth the trip.  

mwatts said:

Curious what are some hole in the wall places in Atlanta? My wife and I would love to check some of them out when we are in Atlanta in a few weeks.

Fat Matt's Rib Shack has a great rib sandwich and live music at night.
    Heirloom Market BBQ is awesome - not "dine-in" but there is a deck where you can stand and eat outside.  No atmosphere but great Q.
    Vortex @ Little Five has great burgers and the surrounding area is awesome for people watching.  It's an experience in itself for out of towners!!
    La Pastorcita on Buford Hwy. is one of the most authentic mexican restaurants in town and has incredible tacos.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ^^^^^Mary Mac's Tea Room for meat and three. Vortex for burgers. Antico Pizza. Gladys Knight's Chicken and Waffles for soul food. 
  • GATraveller
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ^^^^^Mary Mac's Tea Room for meat and three. Vortex for burgers. Antico Pizza. Gladys Knight's Chicken and Waffles for soul food. 
    Forgot about Antico.......that place is awesome for real wood fired authentic pizza.

If you want real hole in the wall Southern soul food then hit Beautiful Restaurant on Cascade.  True southern cooking. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Most of downtown is "hole in the wall" The Varsity is the best chili dog out there. And the onion rings too.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Antico for incredible pizza, Fox Brothers for best BBQ around, Vortex for burgers. There are many, many spots I would recommend over Varsity. Varsity is a novelty that you will pay for later in the day. If you have Buford Highway is a place you can lose yourself for days eating your way through the ethnic foods. Happy to make recommendations but looks like everyone else is on point too.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• GATraveller
    Options
    I could eat 5lbs. of Fox Bros. wings. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Every couple of years I eat at the Varsity....then swear it will be my last. :p
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    I've always been fond of "Elmyr" in Little Five Points (next door to the Variety Playhouse on Euclid)
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Antico and Fox Brothers are two of my favorite places. Tea room is ok in my book. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    The Varsity is more than a restaurant, it's an experience. The dogs are just okay I agree. But the history, the ambiance, you just have to go. 
    I agree with this.  Just don't set your expectations too high :)

I will 3rd or 4th the others recommendations for Vortex for burgers and little 5 for walking around and people watching.  It is also not far from there to Virginia Highlands were there are lots of great bars, restaurants, shopping.  I thought Atkins Park was pretty solid (and they cook on Big Green Eggs in case you are home sick).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    What's the verdict on Jeff Varasano's pizza? Any good?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    Go to cypress pint and plate incredible good food good beer fun featured on man vs bacon
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    Varsity is good after long night of adult beverages experience cool food hangover quality 
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Buford Highway is full of hole in the wall gems. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options

If you want real hole in the wall Southern soul food then hit Beautiful Restaurant on Cascade.  True southern cooking. 
    If it's on Cascade, it's the real deal. Just make sure you are packing...
  • QDude
    Options
    Is the four texts restaurant near downtown?

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• QDude
    Options
    Vortex. Damn auto correct!

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• AintEZbeingme
    AintEZbeingme Posts: 177
    Options
    Don't get to the ATL often, but when I do, I hit the Varsity. Couple of chili dogs w/ onions, burger w/ pimento cheese and some rings. Then usually bring half a dozen chili dogs home 
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• Dawgs8033
    Dawgs8033 Posts: 113
    Options
    What's the verdict on Jeff Varasano's pizza? Any good?
    I ate there the other day. It was very good but not as good as Antico to me.
    LGBE, SBGE,Blackstone,Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Like Chinese Dim Sum .. Try Oriental Pearl in Chinatown Atlanta (Chamblee area).
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    hankook taqueria - best "hole in the wall" fusion of Korean & Mexican.
    http://www.therebrookhaven.com/ - have the best fried chicken I've ever had.
    Delia's Chicken Sausage Stand

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    Almost forgot the Colonnade!  Their fried chicken is rated on one of the top 10 list (forgot where).  What surprised me was the excellent sides!

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.