Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak fajitas

Options
pgprescott
pgprescott Posts: 14,544
flat iron steak with char crust. A real family favorite. 

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Looks very tasty Pete! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I will be looking for that char stuff. Looks great!!!!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Awesome looking!! Solid cook brother. Flatiron is one of my very favorites. I got a couple from Creekstone that I'm dying to try this weekend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Very nice. Great pics!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'll take a double order with Texas margaritas please. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Thanks all. The char crust are really great. I overlooked them for years and finally tried a couple. I haven't found one I don't like. Reasonably price as well. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Dang, I thought I smelled fajitas!  Those look great!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice cook!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    That looks awesome.
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Man, that looks good!
    Phoenix 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Fantastic...Great post and pics. LIKE..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    HeII yes, that's a tasty looking steak.  I've got one in the freezer and you're giving me ideas.
  • MrWilliams
    MrWilliams Posts: 112
    Options
    that looks so good!!  What is that lighter setup you are using?
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    WOW that looks good!  Great char, and beautiful medium rare practically edge to edge.

I used to use Char Crust years ago when I was still using a Weber gas grill, but I haven't used it in years.  Maybe I'll try it again -- that looks wonderful!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Fantastic.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • pgprescott
    Options
    that looks so good!!  What is that lighter setup you are using?
    It's the golf club by bbq guru. We sell there stuff in our store. I love it. Gets similar results to a weed burner, just less aggressive. I will have to check with bbq guru, they are no longer doing internet sales. I'm not sure if the club is still available. If it is, you might have to find an authorized dealer or some leftover stock on the web.  I think they are shutting down all the internet sales, period. 
  • pgprescott
    Options

Legume said:
    HeII yes, that's a tasty looking steak.  I've got one in the freezer and you're giving me ideas.
    I'm a lover of flatiron. Very juicy and flavorful and very versitile. I cook them for everything from chinese to family style steak to, well, fajitas. Enjoy yours and thank you  for the kinds words. 
  • pgprescott
    Options

Theophan said:
    WOW that looks good!  Great char, and beautiful medium rare practically edge to edge.

I used to use Char Crust years ago when I was still using a Weber gas grill, but I haven't used it in years.  Maybe I'll try it again -- that looks wonderful!
    Thanks @Theophan. I am not afraid to recommend them. I use the SW chipotle, original hickory, garlic and peppercorn, Cajun, even a coffee one. There are several others, but I haven't used them all. I have yet to be disappointed. You don't need really high heat to get the. Nice crust either. Just leave it sit and it really does seal in the juices as they say. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Looks great!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Lawman58
    Lawman58 Posts: 79
    Options
    What temp and how long did you cook it?  
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Lawman58 said:
    What temp and how long did you cook it?  
    Unfortunately, I'm more a feel guy when it comes to beef. I would say @ 400-450 for about 5-8 min/ side. I really just get a good crust or sear marks on one side and test the firmness of the beef for desired doneness. Sometimes I will cook at higher temps for a shorter time. Depends on the particular cut. Sorry I couldn't give you more exact info. 
  • Lawman58
    Lawman58 Posts: 79
    Options
    No sounds good. I have only had my egg for a couple weeks and love flank steak. Just getting use to the egg!!!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Lawman58 said:
    No sounds good. I have only had my egg for a couple weeks and love flank steak. Just getting use to the egg!!!
    If you love flank steak, you'll really love flat iron. They are a bit more tender and flavorful IMO. They're a can't miss in my book. Welcome aboard!