Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What side do your wish/have your egg on?

Hello good people.

I am about to do a table build and I cant decide what side I want the egg to be located on, Left? or Right?
I am planning on having drawers and cabinets so it is not reversible and I need to plan it out now. What's yours? Are you Left handed or Right Handed? Do you wish it was on the other side?

I am right handed so usually handle the food in my left hand and the tongs in my right. I am debating if I should have the egg on the right side and some working space on the left? or Vice versa?
XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    I put mine on the left side, I'm right handed just seemed natural
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited May 2015
    Edit... I like my egg to my left...
    Aurora,OH
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I'm predominantly right handed but, fairly ambidextrous. My egg is on the right side with prep on the left. Why?  On my table there's a catch pan with top penetration leading to said pan.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Right-handed and have my Egg on the left and workspace on the right. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• MeanBone
    MeanBone Posts: 15
    I have a 6' table with 20'' table top on the right and 30" on the left.  22" hole for the LBGE.  It doesn't have to be all the way to one side or the other.
  • UncleFred
    Actually, you can avoid making a decision and have BOTH options!

For example, here is my table... you will notice that my egg is currently on the left... BUT if I rotate it 180 degrees Vuala! it's now on the right. :rofl:

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Egg left. Fit my space better, only reason. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    My new table will have the Large in the middle and work station on both sides with cabinets underneath workstation. But if interested, I am 6'2" and left handed. :lol: 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    UncleFred said:
    Actually, you can avoid making a decision and have BOTH options!

For example, here is my table... you will notice that my egg is currently on the left... BUT if I rotate it 180 degrees Vuala! it's now on the right. :rofl:

As per my original post I will have storage so it is not reversible 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    This is what I was thinking
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    You're going to steal Cazzy's table?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited May 2015
    When I designed and built my 60 x 27 table for my large egg I put it on my left since I was right handed. That is I assumed I would lift my dome with my left hand, and work with the platter/whatever on my right. OTOH I also already had a twinkle in my eye that I would be adding a small some time later so I built the substructure (meaning bracing and spacing which is under the top) to be able to support the added weight etc. Sure enough a mere 3 months later I added a small. Granted that meant I lost my work spot so I added this fold down work area. I never prep food out there and just need a place to conveniently place a platter or whatever. This solution has worked for me now and is 15 years old! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Egg left. Table right. Left handed. 
    Clinton, Iowa
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    I only have eggmates, but use and feel more comfortable working off the left mate. Ultimately, I'd like a work space like @NPHuskerFL except with a little more space on the right of the egg. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Simple build an L shape. Egg in the corner.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    My metal table came with the egg on the right and the table space on the left.  I would prefer it the other way around, and that might be because I'm right handed.  Truth is, I would want space on both sides.  Left side space would be great for BBQ Guru, and other stuff, and right hand surface for food stuff if I was to design my perfect working space.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    I tend to dress left, so...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I tend to dress left, so...
    Mine was placed as far right as I could John. :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    I definitely would place it on the right.   As I am right-handed, I naturally pull things from the left to place on the right.  I surmise that left handers would put it on the left.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Aussie
    Aussie Posts: 75
    ^^^^^ what he said, just works for me 
  • UncleFred
    edited May 2015
    Aussie said:
    ^^^^^ what he said, just works for me 
    Wait a minute, you're in the southern hemisphere where even the hurricanes spin BACKWARDS...
    So is your left right or is your right right??? When you tell me which is right then I'll know the the one that's left has to be left not right, right?

I'm so confused. :lol: 

• VitiminJ
    VitiminJ Posts: 7
    I'm 95% finished with my table. I put the Egg on the left with prep space to the right. I'm left handed. I use the tongs in my left hand and it feels natural to go right to left. Crazy right.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited May 2015
    I have space to the left and to the right of my egg. I find that when working the grill I'm much more comfortable using the space to the right (I hold my grill tool in that hand and am right handed)  Even though the space on the left of my egg is much larger and doesn't have the 2eye propane burner in the way.  Though it's not a real concern as I don't have any space to the right of my small egg and never really notice it.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I am right handed. Egg is on the left, landing zone to the right. It feels normal to open the egg with my left hand and move items on or off the egg with my right. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If you've had your egg less than a year...dont build a table yet
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • VitiminJ
    VitiminJ Posts: 7
    henapple said:
    I'm curious why you would suggest that?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited May 2015
    henapple said:
    Blah, I built my whole outdoor kitchen in less than a year of ownership!  Granted now, I have a table I bought immediately going completely unused!  Which is the point. You will know what you really want/need after some time cooking on it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    jabam said:
    I put mine on the left side, I'm right handed just seemed natural
    Yep, what he said.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    henapple said:
    I'd wait for sure. See what you need do and like. 

My my work space is in the center of a 2 egg table

oh and @cazzy doesn't egg anymore so just buy his table

XLBGE