Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: RANT against unwanted calls & my solution: OT

Options
2»

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    land lines?  Answering machines?  Is it 1982?
    NOLA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    BGE? LUMP charcoal? 3,000 year old cooker? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    RRP said:
    buzd504 said:
    BGE? LUMP charcoal? 3,000 year old cooker? 
    I bash land lines as we converted to cell phones long ago. With that said, when I was in a small earthquake in SoCal, the cell phones were useless due to call volumes and the land lines were the only thing that worked. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Don't let them get to you.  The end. 
    Options
    That shouldn't work OP.  If you dial any of those telemarketer numbers, either you get a message that it's not a valid number, or they ghost it to a random real residence.  They have themselves well covered that you can not contact them in any way.

And the Do not call list really doesn't work anymore.  I'm on it and have renewed my name several times and I still get an absurd amount of telemarketer calls.  I think the Do Not Call List people are selling my number.
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    I just keep repeating in a loud voice: "What?...What?...What?..." until they get the idea. Seems to work OK and I enjoy it - for free. If you think about it, a worse thing than receiving these calls is being the person making them. I wish they would farm that work out to another country so these guys could man USA call centers.
  • RRP
    Options
    Doglips said:
    That shouldn't work OP.  If you dial any of those telemarketer numbers, either you get a message that it's not a valid number, or they ghost it to a random real residence.  They have themselves well covered that you can not contact them in any way.

Not sure what you mean about not reaching them. Whether the call that I automatically forwarded to some dipsh*t goes through or doesn't go through falls in my "I couldn't care less bucket" which I never follow up on anyway!
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I wonder if you were to forward to an international number if the international charges would be applied to them? That would be one way to take this to the next level. Send all those telemarketers calls over to that Nigerian prince who keeps emailing me!  =)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    Before the do-not-call list came into being, all evening calls were handled by my teenage son.  If it was a nuisance call, he was free to do or say anything he wanted to the caller.  Kept my blood pressure down and he had fun.
    I still like to talk to them.  Makes me feel like I have friends :)

I generally try to steer the call in odd directions.  Its funny how long they will talk even when you are discussing how a guy would get a mini-giraffe like in the DirectTV commercial.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Jaime
    Jaime Posts: 87
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I like to tell them to hold on a minute, I'll be right back and then set the phone down and walk away.  When I hear the neener neener sound, I know it's time to hang up.
    I've done that.  I also sometimes say "Look my co. Bills my time at $225us per hour if  you provide your card # I'll be happy to chat.  Visa or Mastercard.  They say anything I interrupt and repeat
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    paqman said:
    @RRP All that extra time on your hands has been spent very effectively - great idea.
    We have a do not call list in Canada, it is available to all telemarketers to ensure they do not call, however what it turns into is a list of valid numbers which do not want to be called - the key is the number is valid. For TMs in Canada or the US, it is effective, if they move the call centre off shore - not so much. 
    Being retired, I'm like @NPHuskerFL if I have the time, I talk to them, then politely end the call. We used to get a ton of cruise calls for sailings out of Florida, after I started telling them I could not legally enter the US, they stopped. 

Our favourite is to hand the phone to one of grandchildren, preferably the 3 year old - priceless. 
    @Skiddymarker the list is not public and telemarketers cannot download it.  The list is maintained by an incumbent and telemarketers must register to obtain a "key" that they can then use to validate that the number they are about to call is not on the list.  Algorithms are in place to detect "mining" attempts and other potential abuse scenarios.
    With all due respect, and I may be full of it, I disagree. I may have oversimplified the way the list is accessed, but it is mined. Abuse does and will continue to happen, otherwise threads like this one would not exist. Maintained by an incumbent - there is a true case of the fox in the hen house. The current DNC works so well that virtually every individual who uses it continues to gets calls, some even more so than before they registered. Some TMs have multiple call centres, when a number is encountered as DNC, they transfer the number, albeit illegally, to a centre operating from a jurisdiction that does not recognize the DNC. Because of my former position, I hear from friends and neighbours who have registered all the time. Do you think the TMs do not share data? I know they do. Ever received a call where no one was there? That’s valid number mining.
    Wish it worked and it may be getting better, truth is it is like most government policies (CRTC/FCC) - DNC sounds good but seldom actually works. Hell, in Canada we can’t even regulate the volume of TV commercials, we have a policy/regulation prohibiting it, but it still happens, how could we ever control the TeleMarket industry? After 35 years and now retired from the telecom game including regulatory/tariff filing with both CRTC and FCC I do not use the DNC list, and seldom get calls. Things may have changed in the past few years but I seriously doubt it.

Rant over....sorry if I come across as belligerent, but some parts of the job cannot be forgotten. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can access the Canuckistanian DNCL here through a fee.  Look a bit harder on the blacker sites of the web and you can probably get a copy of it for free.

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/ind/hntr-hnrt-eng

Options
    Telemarketers are smart and will continue to harass people for years to come. If it's not phone calls its emails or some crazy pop-up-add that makes your blood boil. For those of you that like to entertain these idiots, give them referrals such as your boss so they can get bogged down by them. 

When I was a recruiter, one of the things I hated(had lots of hates) when cold calling was when a kid or parent would knowingly refer me to a crazy military hating liberal. I'd be all excited I had a lead/name of somebody that was looking into the military only to get screamed at by a flag burner who didn't respect the people that gave them the right to burn the flag. 

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    I hate this too...especially on my cell. If I know it's a random call I'll answer with..
    "I told you never to call this number" and add..." god.....theres so much blood where should I hide the body?"
    Lol

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I wish I could do something like this for the trolls that frequent this site. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I guess I was wrong about the list not being downloadable.  This may have changed since it was initially launched.

I am on the list and the only calls that I am receiving right now are from auto dialers using voip providers that are located outside Canada. 

Options
    when i got my cell phone the number they gave me was a prior drug dealers number =) i was getting deluged with calls thu fri and sat nights. saterday morning at 4 am on the boat i would return those calls B) the druggies dont call anymore but i still get calls from the courts and lawyers. with the landline though im just a quick hangerupper
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    when i got my cell phone the number they gave me was a prior drug dealers number =) i was getting deluged with calls thu fri and sat nights. saterday morning at 4 am on the boat i would return those calls B) the druggies dont call anymore but i still get calls from the courts and lawyers. with the landline though im just a quick hanger upper
    @fishlessman - this is an excellent example of where an FCC/CRTC policy should be in place. When you accept a number, the carriers should be required to advise if the number had been in service before and if so, how long ago? If numbers stay unassigned for even six months, people generally quit calling them. Other nice things to know would be if it was previously owned by a business and if it was a high volume of inbound call number. Next to drug dealers, an old taxi number can also be a PITA. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • stemc33
    Options
    Could be worse, some knuckle head like Tommy Tutone could write a song like 867-5309/Jenny  using your number and you'd never get rest. Read these peoples stories. 

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/867-5309/Jenny
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 354
    Options
    paqman said:
    I guess I was wrong about the list not being downloadable.  This may have changed since it was initially launched.

I am on the list and the only calls that I am receiving right now are from auto dialers using voip providers that are located outside Canada. 

I love it when the call. I pretend I'm interested in their duct cleaning/cell service/e-mail service/etc and ask their name, company, phone and address. I carry on the polite conversation for a few minutes and then say "Oh by the way Surjit, I'm on the do not call list and I'm going to report this"
  • stemc33
    Options
    Why are the Mod's sinking this thread? It has the potential to be a good one. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
     We need @NPHuskerFL  to post some cool prank call videos before the thread dies. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • RRP
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    I assume because it is OT, but I sure didn't hide that fact!
  • stemc33
    Options
    RRP said:
    stemc33 said:
    I assume because it is OT, but I sure didn't hide that fact!
    Maybe they're just trying to stay ahead of a disaster thread. Lol
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • twelvebeer
    twelvebeer Posts: 36
    Options
    I like to talk to them, make them repeat themselves over and over, ask them dumb questions and waste their time until they hang up on me. They don't call back after they realize im messing with them. I love those calls!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL