Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's wrong with my egg!

2»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    light in three places
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    It is possible that you simply have too much lump in there, and even though you cleaned it, air flow is restricted.  
    +1 on the above. If I want a hot fire fast, I don't fill above the firebox. If I fill to the top of the firering, sometimes it takes awhile to get hot. It will hang in the 300° range for a long time. Once it hits 450° it will wrap the needle fast regardless of the amount of lump. The good thing about cooking with only a firebox full is that it's easier to cook without having to use a raised grid. 

Also, what size of lump pieces are you using? If your lump consist of all smaller pieces, airflow is drastically reduced. Try making a fire with mostly large and medium pieces. 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    stemc33 said:
    It is possible that you simply have too much lump in there, and even though you cleaned it, air flow is restricted.  
    +1 on the above. If I want a hot fire fast, I don't fill above the firebox. If I fill to the top of the firering, sometimes it takes awhile to get hot. It will hang in the 300° range for a long time. Once it hits 450° it will wrap the needle fast regardless of the amount of lump. The good thing about cooking with only a firebox full is that it's easier to cook without having to use a raised grid. 

Also, what size of lump pieces are you using? If your lump consist of all smaller pieces, airflow is drastically reduced. Try making a fire with mostly large and medium pieces. 

stemc33 said:

You might be on to something with the lump size. I have one container with used and smaller lumps and one with larger pieces, I did fill up with the smaller pieces for these two cooks. Thought I had read on another thread to save the larger pieces for low and slow cooks. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I'm late to the party. To the OP question... Airflow no doubt. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Spydermunky
    Spydermunky Posts: 75
    Chubbs said:
    Agree with others. One last thing is wet lump. Could it have possibly gotten wet? 
    This is my most common issue.  It may not have gotten wet since you bought it, but it sure as hell could've gotten wet somewhere before you got it...
    Large Green Egg

Kansas City, KS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Jam a leaf blower in the bottom vent and clear the pipes.  Make sure you have a hose handy and your insurance is paid up. 
    I always light from the top in front
    You oughta get a little freaky and try it from the back in the bottom. 

Little Rock, AR

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    jabam said:
    Did you light the top or bottom of the lump?
    I always light from the top in front
    You oughta get a little freaky and try it from the back in the bottom. 
    :fearful: Oh no here we go. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    Queue the Mike Hunt troll
    Did you light the top or bottom of the lump?
    What you thinking Nola?
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Man that thread went crazy in no time.   I'm still wading through it.  The only reason I asked is on occasion, I'll add lump after a cook is finished to gear up for my next night cook.  That is the only time my fire is started on the bottom.  I haven't really noticed a difference from when I light the top.  Just curious.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • jabam
    So I get home and take everything out including fire ring and fire box, not any build up between them and egg wall, but I did find 3 air holes with chunks stuck in them( one was a chunk of cement) must have come from the RO bag.  So I'm thinking stemc33 had it right on the  lump size. I won't put all small lumps again. Didn't fire it up tonight as I have bball practice, but I will soon and see if problem is solved. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Doglips
    Doglips Posts: 15
    Good you found the problem.  I was having a similiar problem and finally realized it was from wet lump.  Even though it didn't appear wet, the early morning mildew gets in your bag and the pit and it makes it hell getting started good.

And btw in case everyone doesn't realize it, I found out Royal Red Oak also supplies the BGE lump charcoal.  They just drop it in a BGE bag and double the price :)
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Doglips said:

And btw in case everyone doesn't realize it, I found out Royal Red Oak also supplies the BGE lump charcoal.  They just drop it in a BGE bag and double the price :)
    No way. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • nolaegghead
    4Runner said:
    Man that thread went crazy in no time.   I'm still wading through it.  The only reason I asked is on occasion, I'll add lump after a cook is finished to gear up for my next night cook.  That is the only time my fire is started on the bottom.  I haven't really noticed a difference from when I light the top.  Just curious.  
    I've done that too, but just a bit to get me through.   If you light a column of 10 pounds of lump on the bottom, you do a caveman on the lump above it.  And the ash on the bottom is compressed by the weight of the lump above and you exacerbate things.  Folks.  Guys.
    edited May 2015
    To the OP...you say you cleaned out the egg.  Did you remove the Firebox?  If so, when you replaced it did you make sure the bottom cutout is lined up with your bottom vent?  That could be your air flow problem.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • jabam
    The first time I cleaned it I did not take out firebox. I think my problem was too many small chunks of coal.