Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Sous Vide recommendations

Options
My fiancée and I are finally tying the knot this coming Labor Day weekend. We are lucky enough to already have a very nice kitchen with most of the "staples" that you'd usually see on a wedding registry kitchenaid mixer, food processor, a good set of knives ect. However the one thing I don't have yet and have been dying to get is a quality sous vide machine. 

So I turn to you fine folks.... What should I look for in a good sous vide unit? As I understand it there are two types, a stand alone "water oven" type, and for lack of a better term a stick shaped unit which can be placed in pots/buckets. What are the differences and benefits and which do you prefer?

Thanks in advance!

(now that I think about it I bet quite a few of you would appreciate the wedding menu... We're getting hitched at a beautiful little farm to table restaraunt outside of Plymouth in an old farm house that predates the founding of the U.S. The chef is amazing. I'll see if I can get a copy of the menu to get you guys drooling)

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Sounds great and congrats!   I own the Sous Vide Demi and I really like it.  For the the stand alone unit is perfect.   I can se advantages to another "stick" type unti that would allow you to change the vessel based on the size of the food you are cooking.   I think you need to determine your requirements here.  Again, my stand alone unit is perfect for us.    
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I like that the Anova's can be put into a giant pot or cooler to do a big cook, or tall but thin tupperware canister to do a couple of soft cooked eggs.  The only thing that pisses me off about the Anova is if you have a brown out, it terminates the cook.
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    I have the Anova as well...chose this over the stand alone due to counter/storage requirements
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I like my Anova Precision Cooker. We don't have brownouts around here until summer occasionally so I haven't been bit by that yet.

I like the fact it is compact for storage and can be used in various stock pots, coolers, etc.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have 4 different sous vide units.  The Polyscience Professional is my go-to.  I can cook a massive amount of stuff with it in a 45 qt cooler, or even larger.  It comes with a storage/transportation case and stores nicely.  It's commercial duty, can be repaired (unlike the Anova) and will last forever.
    Options
    The Polyscience Professional 
    @ChillyWillis- Normally I would be the first to say, never trust a hippy  ;)
    However the above quoted advice is sound. I have seen his setup. Frickin awesome for sure. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @nolaegghead do you have the "chef" http://www.amazon.com/PolyScience-Culinary-SVC-AC1B-Professional-Circulator/dp/B00NPYDAOG  or the "classic" http://www.amazon.com/PolyScience-Professional-CLASSIC-Immersion-Circulator/dp/B00DY7TKN4   (I'm assuming not either of the other two because from what I can see they're made in China and can not be repaired). They both look like phenomenal machines. I think I'm on the right track now. 
  • ChillyWillis
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hmmm those links don't seem to be working correctly......
     The chef

The classic

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    I have the Anova as well...chose this over the stand alone due to counter/storage requirements
    +1 for the anova here too. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I have the sansaire . .  . I have nothing to compare it to, but solids unit that works great.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you have the space, the oven units are very good and they run efficiently (heat retention) without towelling or wrapping. On the other hand the stand alone circulators can be fit to the cook, works well in an 8quart container or in a 20 quart container. The <$200 units like Sansaire and ANOVA are home units and work just fine for most home cooks. If you want to run for 48 hours at higher temps and use it everyday, the Polyscience units are ideal, expensive but probably well worth it. Like most who get into it, you will end up with more than one - that advice alone settled it for me, I use the stand alone circulators, an ANOVA and a Sansaire. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @ChillyWillis this one: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/polyscience-professional-sous-vide-thermal-circulator/?pkey=e|sous%2Bvide|23|best|0|1|24||3&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules

Made in USA

I've been using PolyScience stuff for years.  It's well made.

Options

edited May 2015
    Options
    FWIW I would personally go with an immersion unit simply to save the cabinet space.  Chances are you already have a big pot you could cook in for most things, and a cooler for large cooks.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    I can say that my Anova is great....I'm sure the rest are good too...but counterspace in my kitchen is at a premium
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    The counter space argument has won me over, I'm going to go with an immersion unit. I'm leaning towards the polyscience unit that Nola recommended. Thanks for all the input folks, much appreciated!
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    @ChillyWillis at around $160-$170 I don't see how you could go wrong with the Anova.  Isn't that Poly close to $800?  The Anova is rated to +/- 0.1 degree accuracy, if I remember correctly.  With all due respect, unless you're in a commercial environment I'm not sure why you would want to spend that much money on one of these things.  I may be missing something.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Backyard Mike
    Options
    I have a Sansaire and it works great for what I use it for. Done 72 hour short ribs, gallatines, turkey breast roulade at thanksgiving, steaks and a lot of salmon among other things. Get a SearZall and you're set. 

• nolaegghead
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The counter space argument has won me over, I'm going to go with an immersion unit. I'm leaning towards the polyscience unit that Nola recommended. Thanks for all the input folks, much appreciated!
    @ChillyWillis - There's a PolyScience unit called the "Discovery" that is excellent for around $300.  That is my recommendation unless you don't mind spending the extra money.  The Anova, which I have also (along with the Demi and a home made unit), broke after a couple of hours.  I stupidly took it apart and voided the warranty.  I realized that it's not very serviceable at that point.  However, the Anova has a good reputation for service, but I wouldn't count on it being anything but replaced if it breaks. 
    Options
    I preordered the Nomiku wifi...http://www.nomiku.com
    I'm looking to get my feet wet with it(No pun intended), then maybe invest in the poly science. I also have the searzall and LOVE it! It should ship hopefully this month. 
  • ChillyWillis
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @mahenryak The thing that's pushing me towards the Polyscience (aside from the recommendation of @nolaegghead ) is that it's going on my wedding registry. So the cost up front would not be an issue for us. That, coupled with the fact that it could be repaired if nescecery is a game changer. Superior performance + the ability to repair is key in my book. 

I bought my BGE for the warranty and its payed off in spades for me already. I've already used it for a replacement gasket and a new firebox that I actually just picked up today (just a tiny crack in the fire box). I'm sure it'll still work just fine for a while but the fact that I've already got a replacement in my basement is key for me. The same applies for all of my most used kitchen equipment. I've also got a beautiful set of wüsthof knives which some of the handles have cracked on over time. The knowledge that I can send them back to the company and get replacements sent is worth it's weight in gold.

I'm a firm believer in buying quality and being able to rely on the company to help out if issues occur. Especially if it's gift from loved ones who will be more than happy to spend a few extra $$$ now to come over and see those same knives/komandos/sous vides used for years to come as it feeds their grandkids (and hopefully, years from now, mine too)
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @mahenryak The thing that's pushing me towards the Polyscience (aside from the recommendation of @nolaegghead ) is that it's going on my wedding registry. So the cost up front would not be an issue for us. That, coupled with the fact that it could be repaired if nescecery is a game changer. Superior performance + the ability to repair is key in my book. 

I bought my BGE for the warranty and its payed off in spades for me already. I've already used it for a replacement gasket and a new firebox that I actually just picked up today (just a tiny crack in the fire box). I'm sure it'll still work just fine for a while but the fact that I've already got a replacement in my basement is key for me. The same applies for all of my most used kitchen equipment. I've also got a beautiful set of wüsthof knives which some of the handles have cracked on over time. The knowledge that I can send them back to the company and get replacements sent is worth it's weight in gold.

I'm a firm believer in buying quality and being able to rely on the company to help out if issues occur. Especially if it's gift from loved ones who will be more than happy to spend a few extra $$$ now to come over and see those same knives/komandos/sous vides used for years to come as it feeds their grandkids (and hopefully, years from now, mine too)
    I like to buy quality first, as well--just ask my wife LOL.  At $300 I can see the argument of going with the Poly, but when I clicked on the first link to the Poly provided in this thread I saw $799 which meant you could literally replace four, closer to five, Anovas (or similar product) so then the idea of repairing doesn't really make a lot of sense in my book.  Anyway, Congrats on the wedding!
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• nolaegghead
    Options
    There are 4 polyscience models that range in price from $300 to $1100.
    Options
    I love my sous vide supreme.  But it's a space hog.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I have the Sous Vide Supreme and the Sansaire.  I like both and use the supreme more often for the two of us.  For bigger cuts or lots more food I use the Sansaire.  Both are very accurate and I've had no problems with either.  We keep the Supreme in the pantry so it doesn't take up counter space.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,516
    Options
    I have a DIY unit that I fabricated few years ago, also bought two Anova on Kickstarter last year.  Can't beat the Anova for convenience, hope they'll last a while. OTOH my DIY setup should last 'forever' because it comprises of modular components which can be easily replaced: cheap PID controller, old aquarium pump, thermocouple wires and old coffee urn, rice cooker, roaster oven, etc. 
    canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    I've got an Anova (2nd gen) and a Nomiku (1st gen). I prefer the Anova but the upcoming Nomiku looks interesting. I've also got a PID controller I use for my big (8qt?) cheap slow cooker.

I know it is probably heresy to say this here but I do a lot of pork butts in the slow cooker (did an eight pounder just yesterday). Even on the low setting after a few hours my slow cooker gets too hot so the PID is really necessary for that.

We eat a lot of chicken breasts and sous vide makes them perfect every time. We also sous vide most of our rib eyes and just give them a quick sear on the grill. Sous vide is pretty cool (so to speak).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Backyard Mike
    Options
    HeavyG said:

We eat a lot of chicken breasts and sous vide makes them perfect every time. We also sous vide most of our rib eyes and just give them a quick sear on the grill. Sous vide is pretty cool (so to speak).
    What's your procedure for chicken breasts?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    HeavyG said:

What's your procedure for chicken breasts?
    When we get a pack of boneless/skinless breast from Costco I'll just season most of them with just a little salt & pepper as we generally use these in dishes with various sauces , vacuum seal in individual bags then freeze until needed.

Cook at 63°C/145°F for 3 hours-ish (depending on thickest breast). Then either slice or shred depending on what it is going into. They always come out butter soft and moist. 

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk