Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish with wood planks

cooking some fish tonight and have used wood planks for cooking on a gas grill...

plate setter or no for direct heat to the wood?

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    I'm cooking this this coming weekend. The BGE cookbook says direct, 400 degrees.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I would go raised direct. Put plank on for a bit by itself so it smokes some. Then Lay fish on. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    edited May 2015
    I did it raised direct for the first time a few weeks ago.  At some temp like around 400-450 the cedar smoked - when the egg was cooler, no smoke.  Worked great.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180202/cedar-planked-salmon-with-grilled-ramps-asparagus-risotto
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I am big fan of Alder Wood Planks . . . usually soak for few hours, then place on egg for few mins until smokes a little (a la chubbs post above), bring back in the house, drizzle board with EVOO, place fish on top & grill board direct at 400 to 450 until fish done.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • So how do you raise the cooking surface without a plate setter
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I use 3 bricks set on edge.  other folks have fancy "adjustable rigs," or make something with an old grill and some bolts.  google around the forum a bit and you'll see lots of ways.  some day i'd like to get an AR, they look like they add a lot of flexibility.

for example, type this into google and you'll see lots of posts:
    site:eggheadforum.com raised direct
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    As Blind99 said . . . lots of ways to go raised direct, do a forum search.

NOTE: raised direct is not needed for a wood board fish cook, but is helpful if you want to go higher temp (like 450) as the flames are further away from your board. 

Here is a pic of my "raised direct" setup.  I purchased a "woo ring" online.  You can see my fire is still direct, yet it is much higher preventing the flames from attacking.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • air1keh
    air1keh Posts: 18
    Bought a beautiful piece of salmon this weekend from a fish market here in the Seattle area. Soaked a cedar plank in the sink all morning. Heated the egg up to about 475 and put the plank on with the fish - raised/direct. Cooked it until the internal temp was about 135 - it was a thick piece. Really good. 

The plank smoked but never caught fire. I keep a spray bottle with water in it close by just in case though. 
  • beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Direct soak the plank for at least couple of hours I use salt water to soak cedar seems to bring out more flavor I do this once a week part of rotation I use tsunami spin dizzy pig delicious 
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I have gone away from the wood plank and have, instead, gone to ceramic. Use wood chips/chunks for the smoke (alder for salmon). Cleans up nicely and is reusable. It does transmit more heat than wood, so fish cooks from both top and bottom.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I have gone away from the wood plank and have, instead, gone to ceramic. 
    Believe this or not, but I have used my oval ceramic stone before with great results. What got me to try it was I had done lit the egg, cleaned and seasoned the salmon, and as luck would have it I was out of planks. Thus the ceramic stone was the stand in. The only noticeable difference was cook time was reduced dramatically due to me preheating the stone. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I tried a soaked BGE cedar plank. I cooked for about 5 minutes and the board curled and all juices ran off. I haven't tried since but I was thinking of doing fish soon and thought why not just cook the fish on some foil?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• I am cooking now with wood planks
    shrimp in a basket!!

going very well
  • Trying to post a pic but having trouble
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited May 2015
    True confessions... this is probably sacrilegious but my personal favorite these days is fried on the stove with a little evo.  If the salmon is fresh, then you can't beat the natural flavors.  Maybe just a drop or two of lemon juice and S&P and I am golden.

Edit:  I should not have injected this here during your cook.  That was inconsiderate of me.  My apologies BGG and enjoy your fine meal! 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Wow I can't believe the size of those shrimp!  Nice!
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Ok man you have to tell us how it  turned out. Looks good from here.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Turned out very well
    soaked the wood for 30 min 
    bought a cooking basket for the shrimp
    put lemon pepper and blacken seasoning on both
    cut three nice chunks of lite butter into the top of shrimp

400 deg 20 min and I was done
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    What we enjoy is doing plank salmon raised direct at 250* to internal temp of 135*. Use DP Raging River and EVOO. Also mix in few handfulls of alder chips with the lump. Outstanding!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Looks great.
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois