Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try at Beef back ribs

ChillyWillis
ChillyWillis Posts: 893
i love beef ribs, but for some reason I'd never done a rack on the egg. No more. I found these two racks for a steal at my local market. I decided to prep them just like pork ribs, so I pulled the membrain and hit them with some dizzy pig Cow Lick (I went with one rack just rub and the second rub, mustard, more rub to see which I like better for beef ribs). They're on the egg at 250 over some applewood chunks. This should be interesting, but I've found that sometimes winging it produces the best meals. 

Comments

• Let us know how it turns out
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    nice.  enjoy your screwdriver.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • jstnezell
    jstnezell Posts: 62
    can't wait to see the final pics, I plan on doing some soon
    Houston, TX - LBGE
  • ChillyWillis
    Haha it's a Downeast hard cider. Perfect afternoon sipper for the first 80 degree day up here in MA. 
  • ChillyWillis
    A quick question for the more knowledgable beef rib folks around here ( @SGH some help would be appreciated brother). Can I tell the ribs are done by using the bend test like pork ribs, or is there another way to tell these beef ribs are finished?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Probe them with a toothpick. There done when there is no resistance at all. It doesn't have to be a toothpick, you can use your Thermapen or whatever else you have handy to probe with. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Sorry for the slow reply. The Internet on this ship is sketchy at best.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ChillyWillis
    Thanks for the help brother! I can't wait, my porch is smelling wonderful already. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    They look good. I can't wait to see the finished pics. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    my porch is smelling wonderful already. 
    I bet it is brother. Beef ribs are one of my very favorites. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    I wish that you wouldn't have changed your avatar. I hate change  ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    SGH said:
    I wish that you wouldn't have changed your avatar. I hate change  ;)
    Do you see what I did there?                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    edited May 2015
    Indeed I do. However you may just be in luck. I'm not totally sold on this one yet, a change back to Bill the Cat may happen sooner rather than later. 

I don't even remember now what your old avatar was now, but I do remember the change sent the forum into a tizzy. 
  • ChillyWillis
    3 hours in and looking good so far......

• SGH
    I don't even remember now what your old avatar was now, but I do remember the change sent the forum into a tizzy. 
    For the longest time I had the one that they give you if you don't select one yourself. If memory serves, the avatar that I have now was the first one that I selected and used 99 percent of the time. A few times I have used brother Flair for a while. 

Status- Standing by.

• beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    they look fantastic enjoy the nice weather
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2015
    Coming right along. Ya got some good color and nice pull back starting to happen. Staying tuned for the finish. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    SGH said:
    For the longest time I had the one that they give you if you don't select one yourself. If memory serves, the avatar that I have now was the first one that I selected and used 99 percent of the time. A few times I have used brother Flair for a while. 
    I think you went through an afro phase for a while.  As I recall, that didn't land so well.
  • SGH
    Legume said:
    I think you went through an afro phase for a while.  As I recall, that didn't land so well.
    I still sport the fro from time to time  ;)

Status- Standing by.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I could eat at your house and be very happy. They look great. I am betting that you will cook them again. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Looks good to me, nice cook
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• ChillyWillis
    edited May 2015
    I am betting that you will cook them again. 
    You can be sure of it. Even though I missed mark a bit on these I still polished off a rack and a half. Plus now that I know how good they are even when I undertook them, I need to see what they taste like when they're perfect  ;)
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    The ribs look good ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Everything looks awesome!

Looks like a winner to me brother chilly :clap: 

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Love beef ribs over anything. Yours looks mighty good. I cook mine like yours only I cook at 350. I do use the bend test but if I have cut the rack in half for some reason I do like SGH. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Looks good from here.  I too love beef ribs.  I've found that I like simple salt and pepper as the best rub for beef ribs.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Looks great, sorry you feel they "missed the mark".   I have only seared then braised beef short ribs in a dutch oven on the egg . . dying to try this.  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Great cook and I have had success relying on the toothpick for "doneness".  I like to run nekked for the entire cook as well but sometimes have to resort to foiling to speed them along.  Beats their pork rib cousins for sure.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.