Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean Burn

Options
I just performed a clean burn, had the thermometer pegged so I don't really know how hot it got. It cleaned up the fire box and ring, and the plate setter. But it didn't do anything for the dome. Should I do it again without the accessories in? Will that cause the dome to be cleaned?
Atlanta GA. 

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I have found the best way to clean the dome is after a normal temp cook (300-400) to wipe it down with an aluminum foil ball.  Also, since you pegged your thermo you might want to do a calibration to make sure you didn't throw it off.  I usually try and pull mine out before a clean burn.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I just did a clean burn this past weekend, 30 minutes @ 800 degrees. All the gunk turned to dust. Foil will work to clean up some residual, but another burn might be necessary to get it really clean.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    No need to go full out nuclear for a clean burn.  Keep the temp between 700-750º and hold for a while. Pegging a thermometer does it no good and some people have concerns about bands, etc at extreme temps. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    I did the same thing Friday night, not paying attention and pegged my thermometer.  My gaskets got stuck together, could not open my egg.  After reading a couple of post on here about stuck lids, pried up the top with a putty knife, only in one spot.  I thought it would be as clean as a baby's butt, fire box was clean, dome still dark, but all the gunk burnt off.  The gasket is still all in one piece.  I have not fired it up since.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    i did one this weekend too, only now my dome seems to have leprosy, odd circles that are clean to the ceramic and then other parts just flaking off.

HFX NS
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Having read the large literature on this topic and seen some tragic stories, I have decided not to do clean burns.  Wiping things down with aluminum foil is all I do.   That gets rid of any major crud.   If a guest looks over your shoulder while you are cooking, describe the dark interior as "barbecue patina" that guarantees genuine ... NC. Memphis, Texas, (name your location here).... flavor.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    bboulier said:
    Having read the large literature on this topic and seen some tragic stories, I have decided not to do clean burns.  Wiping things down with aluminum foil is all I do.   That gets rid of any major crud.   If a guest looks over your shoulder while you are cooking, describe the dark interior as "barbecue patina" that guarantees genuine ... NC. Memphis, Texas, (name your location here).... flavor.
    I have also been hesitant to do one for fear of breaking something, but I have decided I am going to do one on both eggs. I just don't plan on going above 700 degrees. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I have two eggs and haven't done a clean burn on either.  I've seen reports of some funky tastes on this or that without clean eggs, but I've never noticed it.  For me, half the beauty of the Eggs are the super-easy maintenance.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited May 2015
    Options
    no guts - no glory - no clean egg...never mind - but hey, what do I know?  ;)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    no rutland  ;)
    canuckland
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    Finally fired up the egg last night after torching it and gluing it closed. Happy to report that the gasket made it through the ordeal.  No leaking from around the gasket.  I am still convinced I shortened the lifespan of the gasket.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    Finally fired up the egg last night after torching it and gluing it closed. Happy to report that the gasket made it through the ordeal.  No leaking from around the gasket.  I am still convinced I shortened the lifespan of the gasket.
    You can easily replace the gasket. @RRP will hook you up. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Don't see a point in going crazy nuclear as 650℉-750℉ will adequately "clean" the egg ceramics, PS etc. But, if you do it ALWAYS pull the dome thermometer. If you forget to pull it be sure to check and recalibrate as necessary. Gasket go to Mr Rutland @RRP Ron can help in that arena. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I haven't ever done a clean burn on purpose, just left the egg at 700 to 750 after doing steaks for a ab out 30 minutes and thrown in the PS to get cleaned up.  I am kind of afraid to get the PS to hot now with a hairline crack in it.  I am trying to get by with it tell my birthday so I can ask for the AR/Woo2 combo.  I only have to wait 2 months.  I may do one tonight after steaks are off.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.