Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cuba or Dominican Republic.

CANMAN1976
CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
The wife and I are planning a trip down to the Caribbean soon and can't seem to decide between Cuba or Dominican. 
Any eggheads out there have any personal experiences in these places that could help us choose.
We want a 5 star all inclusive resort. I've heard negative comments on the food in Cuba not sure if this is accurate or not.

Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I can't speak for Cuba, but we hit the DR. A couple of years ago.   Beautiful, very friendly people. Food was more for the European set, read bland. 

That said, I'd go back in a heartbeat. 
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    We went to Cuba for New Years. We visited Cayo Santa Maria and the beach was amazing! The food is OK! Everyone told us we will get sick and so on, and that the food is horrible. 

We ate food that was cooked on the grill and whatever we picked up had to go in a pan or the grill. This was our rule and we were both fine. The fruit was delicious and fresh. 

A five star star resort in Cuba is not a five star by our standards but is decent and enjoyable. Lots of entertainment and a lot of beach time. We also heard the milk is not pasteurized so we avoided milk and only drank bottled water with no ice as the ice was not filtered water and we were not used to it. 

Would we go again? Heck yes! It was awesome! The wife and I had a blast and she was pregnant! 

We brought our own hot sauce, ketchup, salt and pepper as theirs was weaker. 

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    I'm a big dominican fan, beautiful beaches is why you go the food was just ok.  But I go to put my a$$ in the sand and a cold rum drink in my hand.  My wife and I talk frequently of that being the place for us to retire.  The people are super nice as well. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    DR right now.  Cuba?  Maybe in ten years.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    As long as the Castros are in charge of Cuba, you'd be a fool to visit there.  Unless you're also a communist.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    edited May 2015
    78 T140E said:
    As long as the Castros are in charge of Cuba, you'd be a fool to visit there.  Unless you're also a communist.
    Really? You must be from the good ol' USA! 

Anyone not aligned with your views must be a terrorist and destroyed!
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • RD but you can't beat Cuba's beaches!!!!
    Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    78 T140E said:

I guess you don't buy anything made in China either. Good luck with that.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Before you book check out Cozumel. I've been going down there for about 7 years now and love the place. Coz has lots of tourist trap stuff associated with the cruise ships but it also has a wonderful laid back atmosphere when the ships aren't in. The diving is fantastic too. I always stay at Cozumel Palace, the service is impeccable.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    I just don't think I am ready to trust my safety in Cuba yet. I agree with @JohnInCarolina that maybe in 10 years but not yet.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    We have been to both. We went to Cuba the second time to a "5" star resort as the first was a 3. Not much difference. Just more of the same at a higher price. Drop your money in the DR. Take a look at Dreams Palm Beach Resort. The food was stellar and lots of options. I didnt want to leave. The preferred club is well worth the extra. No riff raff. Private concierge. 
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Dominican Republic - Bavaro Beach - we went to Paradisus Palma Real this year and it was excellent- treated us like royalty - excellent food choice (stay in the Reserve, or get Royal Service) top shelf liquor and Bavaro beaches are exceptional.

More expensive than Cuba but you didn't mention prices as a factor.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 354
    Just got back from Cuba. It's nice, food can be bland but sometimes not bad. Take some hot sauce with you. People are great and it's a good idea to take some Dollar Store shampoo and other personal items to give as tips. Fish hooks, weights and line are invaluable to the locals. The Dominican is OK too but I prefer Cuba
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 354
    78 T140E said:

I grew up doing the kiss your ass goodbye drill in public school and being afraid to look up at the sky sometimes. The Cubans that I have talked to over many years have little concern about politics and think that all of it is above what they can effect. On this trip I asked several of them what they thought of Americans coming in en masse for the first time in years and the answer was always that there were good and bad in every culture.
  • chupacabra
    chupacabra Posts: 77
    Marietta, Ga
    I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    I'd go to Belize.  The beaches are beautiful and they speak English there.